PDA

View Full Version : Vigor 2820 and virgin cable

mervin
01-02-2009, 11:07
I've just switched-over to virgin cable. I've a vigor 2820 that I want to use with the cable modem. According to the vigor user manual, it can be used with a cable modem via WAN2. Has anyone used this router with virgin cable and so what settings did they use?
Any help would be greatly appritiated.

Thanks

BenMcr
01-02-2009, 11:11
There was some discussion of doing that here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33644655-problems-virgin-media-modem-setting-up.html

mervin
01-02-2009, 11:22
I tried your suggestions but no luck. My WAN2 is showing-up as disconnected. I've even reset my router to factory default.

Peter_
01-02-2009, 11:26
Try this link to the FAQs and set up guides for Draytek routers

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/router_faq.html

Also Very FAQs

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vfaq.html

mervin
02-02-2009, 12:40
Thank you for quick reply.
I tried the links but no luck.
When I plug the modem cable into WAN2 it still shows-up as disconnected. I've WAN1 disabled. Also ADSL LED is flasing but not the WAN2 LED. I've reset the router to factory default on a number of occasions.
I've 2820n with the latest firmware. The router worked fine with BT.

Peter_
02-02-2009, 20:14
Thank you for quick reply.
I tried the links but no luck.
When I plug the modem cable into WAN2 it still shows-up as disconnected. I've WAN1 disabled. Also ADSL LED is flasing but not the WAN2 LED. I've reset the router to factory default on a number of occasions.
I've 2820n with the latest firmware. The router worked fine with BT.
You will probably have to bite the bullet and purchase a Cable DSL router.

phelix
20-02-2009, 08:52
Did you ever get this sorted? What you're trying to do should work just fine with a 2820 as per page 32 of the manual. Any chance the ethernet cable you're using is duff or is a crossover cable?

The PIT
20-02-2009, 17:19
Works fine here. This what I did but you'll need an extra network card.

Connected cable modem to pc. Noted mac address of network card and then logged onto Vigour using the other network card.

Under Wan > internet access
I disabled pppoe on wan2 clicked on static or dynamic ip tab set dhcp
Altered the mac address on wan2 too reflect the original card.

Unplugged the direct cable modem and plugged into wan2 rebooted the router. Bingo router gets dhcp everytime.

aliEnRIK
09-11-2010, 14:30
I joined specifically as I found this thread as I was browsing

I have the 2820Vn and virgin

I cant recall exactly how I got it to work but I certainly didnt require an extra network card

Ive used about 4 routers with virgin now, and all have been plugged in and used without any extra hardware

If anyone has any questions about my settings ill try to help them if need be :)

macaid
11-04-2011, 10:55
Jusy Got my 50Mb with virgin. I followed the instructions regards 2820vn router and all works great. But i have done something slightly different compared to all the other instructions i have read and i my be of some help regards continuing your vpn service. So i have VPN set up on my 2820vn this allows me to remote support my client machines. I had feared i would loose this ability. So as instructed i plug an Ethernet cable from the WAN port in the 2820 to a LAN port of the super hub but also rather then plugging my computer into the super hub i instead plug it into a LAN port of the 2820 aswell so i still have internet access and vpn access. So far all is working well

veeru28
29-01-2012, 17:35
Hello Guys i have tried by best with Draytek 2820vn but i am unable to succeed the Virgin broadband. Can anyone send me their configuration draytek settings email to me please?

The PIT
30-01-2012, 20:31
Just follow the instructions in my post. You won't need an additional network card anymore either so ignore the bit about changing the mac address.