the process of repairing the issue. We're sorry for the inconvenience
caused.

Highwinds don't seem up to the job again....:td:

Stabhappy
29-01-2009, 15:22
Usenet on a budget :)

Delta Whiskey
29-01-2009, 16:21
I'm afraid if you want any sort of decent usenet experience you have to go with one of the premium ISP's like Easynews and Giganews.

VeNoM
29-01-2009, 16:34
its not that bad to be honest

7 days retention is fine for me

if you know where to look

Delta Whiskey
29-01-2009, 16:58
its not that bad to be honest

7 days retention is fine for me

if you know where to look

It must have got better then, at one point some groups retention was measured in hours rather than days. A premium ISP is around 200-250 days.

Magilla
29-01-2009, 18:32
Easynews

Isn't Highwinds the commercial arm of Easynews?

Mick Fisher
30-01-2009, 10:51
Isn't Highwinds the commercial arm of Easynews?
Yup and since Easynews went with Highwinds they became quite useless. Their performance before I left was even worse than the VM news service with regard to incompletes.

So far Astra has been OK.

Delta Whiskey
30-01-2009, 15:34
Yup and since Easynews went with Highwinds they became quite useless. Their performance before I left was even worse than the VM news service with regard to incompletes.

So far Astra has been OK.

It's true Easynews has been less than wonderful of late, they are actively sorting out the problems but it is taking a looooong time.

Magilla
30-01-2009, 17:55
It's true Easynews has been less than wonderful of late.

Have to agree, their service has degenerated considerably over the last 6 months.

Mick Fisher
30-01-2009, 17:59
Easynews are just reselling Highwinds service.

I fail to see how Easynews are 'actively' sorting the problems on 'Highwinds servers'.

I would think it most probable that Easynews Support are just stringing their remaining users along in the hope that Highwinds might eventually get their finger out and get to grips with whatever the problem is.

Since its been about 6 months since Easynews's problems started I doubt they have many users left by now to worry about.

As far as Highwinds are concerned, massive numbers of incompletes are par for the course and should be regarded as their usual below standard of service.

mcmanic
30-01-2009, 18:18
due to credit crunch times i've tried the virgin newsgroups over my current usenetserver which been using and paying for years and TBH not noticed any difference, so recently just been using the Virgin binaries, infact i get more connections with virgin than i do with usenetserver, lol

Xtinguish
30-01-2009, 18:36
No probs. here with Virgin Newsgroups. At least 7 days retention and often a lot greater than that. Virgin newsgroups have always been good ( at least for the past 5 years) and of course they are free. No complaints from me.

|Kippa|
31-01-2009, 08:11
Astraweb are a good usenet provider, roughly £10 a month and I get my 20mbit connection maxed out all the time and retention is being upgraded to 270 days. And thrown in to it for free is option of using encrypted SSL connections, can't complain.