PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Wireless Broadband - Help!

jtb1983
29-01-2009, 12:55
Hi,

I’m looking for some help setting up my Wireless Virgin broadband after several failed phone calls with there technical support line. I’ve found a few forum posts which sound like a similar problem to me but nothing with exactly the same set up.

I hope someone out there can help.

I have cable internet through virgin with a splitter running to my cable TV set top box, my internet cable runs into the back of my ntl:250 cable modem then via a Ethernet cable into my Netgear WGR614 router.

I ran the Virgin broadband wireless set up CD and set up my router with a name and password, after a couple of restarts my laptop seemed to pick up the router and had a strong signal, which makes me think my modem and router are set up correctly. But through the Virgin broadband manager it tells me I cannot connect to the internet, and when I open internet explorer I get the standard “cannot connect to internet” screen.

I know my way around a computer but as I’ve never had to set up wireless before I’m not too familiar with how to sort this problem. From reading other forums I think it may have something to do with configuring the router or setting up new IP addresses?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

J

moaningmags
29-01-2009, 13:41
Firstly, uninstall the Virgin Wireless Manager. Let Windows configure the connection for you, it does a much better job.

That should actually solve the problem.

The Installer
29-01-2009, 13:43
If you have the router VM sent you the quickest way to set it up is as follows and should take 2 mins if that and no CD is required.

Turn off the mains to router and modem.

Connect the router and modem via ethernet cable and connect a laptop to the router also via ethernet.

Power up modem and router and wait for 1 minute.

Open Internet Exporer on the laptop.

This should now display the router page (red page) and it should be asking you to enter in the SSID name (anything you like) and also the password (8-63 characters) for the network encryption. If you don't have this page displayed then enter in your address bar http://routerlogin.net/byconfig ;)

Enter the required info in the two boxes and click apply at the bottom and wait a minute.

Open Internet Explorer and you should internet. If you do then remove the ethernet cable from your laptop to the router.

On your laptop do a new scan for wireless networks and connect to yours. When asked for the network key enter in the one you just entered into the router page and you should connect and away you go :)

Leave the other ethernet cable in the back of the router should you have any problems connecting at a later date then you can always connect your laptop to the router to see where the problem might be.

Peter_
29-01-2009, 18:28
I copied the following below from an earlier post when I had to set up my Virgin supplied router and it does actually work so give it a go.

-----------------------------------------------------------

First you need to fully uninstall the software from your computer, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >unistall programs> now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .

Next ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 10 seconds then switch off the router and modem

------------------------------------------------------------

Quick router set up for the Virgin supplied Netgear router.

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.