PDA

View Full Version : V+ due for install Feb 2nd - guidance please

Bobbi
29-01-2009, 06:57
Okay, this is my first post and I'm not very techy minded at all. I currently have an old Pace set top box but have decided to upgrade to the V+HD.

Below is the specs of my HDTV:
Samsung 37 inch LCD TV HD Ready
Dynamic Contrast: 10,000:1
Resolution - 1366 x 768
DNIe
IDTV

Specification

Display
HDTV Yes Full HD
Screen 37ins LCD
Resolution (Native) 1366 x 768
Contrast Ratio 10000:1
Interfaces/Ports
HDMI Ports 3 x HDMI
VGA In 1 x 15-pin D-sub
SCART Ports 2 x SCART
Video Composite In 1 x Video Composite In
S-Video in 1 x S-Video
TV Tuner Port 1 x RF Port
Headphone Ports 1 x 3.5mm Mini-Jack
Audio Line Out Ports 1 x Optical Sound Output
TV Tuner
Tuners Supplied IDTV Digital Tuner
Input
Auto Timer on/off Clock • On-Time/Off-Time • Sleep Timer
Language Selection 22
Video Functions
Teletext Support Teletext 2.5
Sound
Audio Capabilities NICAM/A2
Speakers 2 x 10W (RMS)
Audio Features SRS TruSurround

I have provided that info incase it's any use to you guys, I don't understand any of it :erm:

I have gathered from reading other posts that I have to ring up VM to request a HMDI cable, is that correct? I did state at the time I had an HD TV, but I want to make sure. Other than this cable is there anything else I need?

I currently have a DVD player connected to the TV which I would still wish to use via scart, am I able to do this? I also have a DVD recorder/VCR combi connected by scart. I have never used the DVD recorder as I couldn't work it out, but I have used the VCR for watching pre-recorded videos via scart, would I still be able to use that too?

I'm sorry if my questions seem simple in comparision to all the tech knowledge on this forum, but me and technology aren't a good combination!

When the V+ box is installed will the installer set it all up for me or will I be left to make adjustments to any settings?

Any help you could give would be gratefully appreciated.

peanut
29-01-2009, 07:05
The DVD and Video are plugged directly into the TV and won't interfere with the V+ as they will be on their own AV channels, so there will no change to that. Or if you still want to video (no real need with V+) you can connect it to the V+ box. I've had no need to do that with the V+ but I'm sure someone here will give a better answer with hooking up a VCR to the actual V+ box if that's your case.

The installer could help you if you ask them I'm sure. As for the settings, they should give you a small demonstration just ask them to put it on the 720p setting for you.

Regarding the HDMI cable, mine was supplied out of the box (I think), but it doesn't hurt to enquire just to make sure. Other than that you shouldn't need anything else.

And welcome to the forum. :)

JediMaster
29-01-2009, 10:39
Hi. When I ordered my V+ box, I was asked if I wanted a HDMI cable. Some friends of mine had a 1m Cable, I had a 2m LONGER cable. So make sure the size before rining up....

Your TV is HD Ready (but the Text you copied said FULL HD). Your TV's Resolution is: 1366 x 768 (so get the Virgin Tech guy to set the V+ box to 720p WIDE) during the Install. As its a Widescreen TV.

I have my Full HDTV Sony TV setup for V+, also I have a DVD Player (via Scart), a Sky Free to Air box (via Scart) and a HDTV Media Player (via HDMI). So thats 4x boxes (inc the V+ box) all connected. Just a matter of switching Inputs (AV1, AV2, HDMI1 and HDMI2) to watch the different boxes

joglynne
29-01-2009, 10:45
When you have had your V+ installed the installer should set up your HDMI connection. If you are worried that he won't bring an HDMI cable give VM a ring and confirm that your records are noted that you will require one. No need to worry when a phone call can put your mind at rest.

We will be able to talk you through any tweaks to your cable connections that will let you use your DVD/VHS recorder to it's best advantage as I am sure that one of our members will have experience of the same recorder so we may even be able to help you use it. :D

I don't know whether you have found it yet, but there is a V+ manual available on-line which you can look at to give you an idea what the V+ can do.

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/pdf/V+Manual.pdf

JediMaster
29-01-2009, 11:12
I've only had my V+ box a week or so, & I'd not be able to live without it now. Recording 2x sides & watching a PreRecorded show (or Live TV) is great. Now I controll the TV Guide, not the Guide ruling my life.

Bobbi
07-02-2009, 06:36
Thanks to everyone for thier help and guidance. Had the V+HD installed with no problems (so far) installation only took about 40 minutes. I haven't tried the record feature yet, just been too busy. But...I have to say the quality of picture even without HD channels has improved greatly, I'm really impressed with that.

The installation guy handed me the new remote (forgot to take the old one with him) and said, you can't control your TV volume with the V+ remote, it won't work on Samsung, I told him to try 0079, he just stared at me and did and was really surprised it worked and said, well how about that then ;)

I mentioned this forum to him and he was surprised it had proven so useful, so thumbs up so far :tu:

You can be sure, if I get stuck, as I'm sure I will, I will be back for futher advice. Thanks again, glad to have found this really informative forum.

Jonnymeg
08-02-2009, 10:54
The installation guy handed me the new remote (forgot to take the old one with him) and said, you can't control your TV volume with the V+ remote, it won't work on Samsung, I told him to try 0079, he just stared at me and did and was really surprised it worked and said, well how about that then ;)

Would love to have seen that! :D