PDA

View Full Version : Traffic managed at 900MB?

dontpannic
27-01-2009, 21:16
Hi All,

I've got a couple of queries re: STM.

I've just, for the first time ever, been traffic managed by the looks of things. Halfway through downloading an Ubuntu ISO to repair my server, the speeds hit 500kb/s and speed-tests confirmed it. I checked the router as there is no way I could have downloaded 3Gb and its been confirmed - throughout the whole of today, I've downloaded 975MB, which, last time I checked, was 2Gb UNDER the traffic management limit. - This isn't a reading from an individual PC, its actually from the WAN socket on the router itself - i.e anything going in or out.

Second query is timescales - On Virgin's website, traffic management is only active between 1000-1500, and 1600-2100. When you hit traffic management the connection is limited for 5 hours, correct? I hit the traffic management limit unfairly at quarter to 9, so does this mean I'm limited now till 2am?!

When the bittorrent filtering comes in will this change the current STM rules?

Cheers,
Nick

moaningmags
27-01-2009, 21:20
There's also an upload limit from 3pm - 8pm but if you were managed at 8:45pm then it won't be that.

The best thing to do is post in the VM newsgroups if you think you haven't hit the limits.
They'll be able to tell you if and why. If you disagree with this you can post pics of your usage and if correct they'll raise it for you.

No-one knows yet about the filtering or whether it will affect STM.