PDA

View Full Version : Is application management being trialed on some 50mbit connnections?

|Kippa|
27-01-2009, 12:27
Is application management being trialed on some 50mbit connnections?

If so, what applications are being managed? Ftp? Sftp? Newsgroups? Bittorent? General encrypted connections ?And what is not being application managed?

MagicMan
27-01-2009, 12:33
From what I've seen over the past few days on my business connection, I would say that its being trialled on 10Mb aswell. My newsgroup speeds have been atrocious to say the least. Running at full 1Mb for 5 minutes then for 60KB/s until I disconnect and then reconnect to the news server then back up again for 5 minutes.

I havent really tried many other protocols but I'm going to do some big downloading from the Microsoft web site later (trial versions) and then grab Ubuntu from their site and see if my speed dies again.

Ignitionnet
27-01-2009, 13:44
Please see below:

The Allots are only used on the DSL service. As technical support
have stated, there are no traffic shaping technologies being trialled.

Alex

-- Alex Brown
Senior Product Manager
Internet Products, Virgin Media

zing_deleted
27-01-2009, 13:48
do you believe them? or do they not really need to trial it now as they already know how it works and just need to switch it on lol

MagicMan
27-01-2009, 14:28
Hmmm yes interesting wording. "No traffic shaping technologies being trialled" is that because they are being used? :D

Milambar
27-01-2009, 15:03
Indeed, all that statement says is that application throttling is no longer in trials. It doesn't say if it has been on trial and is now out of trials and in a roll-out phase. Perhaps he could issue a statement to that end too?

Im sorry if this sounds paranoid, but corporate entities are known for their legal double-speak in that manner (same as politicians really :p)

Bonglet
27-01-2009, 15:12
do you believe them? or do they not really need to trial it now as they already know how it works and just need to switch it on lol

They might already know how it works by trialing it on a certain few people during 50mb trialing, but they also have to trial it in 1 full residential area do they not? or are network impact assesments to hard for vm to think about.