PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with speedtest website results

lardboy
26-01-2009, 23:21
Something strange is going on with the results I'm getting from various speedtest websites.

I'm on 10Mb but speedtest.net, bbmax and the giganews speedtest all return results that are off the scale.

The tests all stall to start with then go insane and the speeds show off the scale.

I know that virginmedia have been whining about speedtest recently so I'm wondering if they might be doing something to interfere with the results.

Is anybody else experiencing this.

I don't have a problem with my connect but something isn't right here and I don't like that.

Axegrinder
26-01-2009, 23:35
Clear out your browser cache, see if that makes a difference ;)

Pushkar
27-01-2009, 08:17
Never rely on Speedtest sites, they don't add up - when I was on 20mb, it showed me as on 13mb yet I got full speeds, now on 50mb, it shows up as 23mb - yet again I get full speeds, Download a linux distro to test your speeds, not speedtest sites.

lardboy
27-01-2009, 15:57
I clear my cache with ccleaner.

As I said in my original post I'm not worried about my connection speed which I monitor with DUMeter but I am curious about this strange behaviour and whether it is a sign of a deeper problem.

Ignitionnet
27-01-2009, 15:59
Using Wireless by any chance lardboy?

LaineY
27-01-2009, 17:44
AS VM Tech Support and BBC would tell you..

They dont work on Virgin Media Connections Accuratly
Google "Broadband Speed Tests Questioned" and choose the bbc link.

I Personally have had a Telewest connection when it first came out in Scotland and have always known that they dont work..

Its really not advised to use them.

You need a decent source to test the download speed of a VM connection.
try filehippo or tucows

zing_deleted
27-01-2009, 17:50
Just search the forums here and there are countless posts explaining why speed tests are poop

LondonRoad
27-01-2009, 22:06
Just search the forums here and there are countless posts explaining why speed tests are poop

Such a lovelly turn of phrase you have Zing ..;) but so descriptive.

nemof
28-01-2009, 05:12
I've always found the speed tests to work for me. speedtest.net works but I hate the flash, also try:

http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.html

I'm not stating that it's accurate or not, but it produces results that seem to reflect the speed of my connection.

Gadgie
28-01-2009, 21:51
Never rely on Speedtest sites, they don't add up - when I was on 20mb, it showed me as on 13mb yet I got full speeds, now on 50mb, it shows up as 23mb - yet again I get full speeds, Download a linux distro to test your speeds, not speedtest sites.

Yea! I got the free upgrade to 10Meg, and all the speed checks I have done have never gone above 4Meg? Yet, when I D/Load anything its a lot faster than when I was on the 2Meg.
Cheers, Smudger.