PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely plagued with recorded sales calls

dizzi
26-01-2009, 14:28
Recently moved house and got a new Virgin/NTL phone number. It's obviously been around the houses a bit as we're getting tele-sales calls out of the eyeballs.

Registered with the telephone preference service about 5 minutes after I got the phone number and the human at the other end of the phone calls have died down now while we wait for that registration to get through the system.

Thing is we are getting absolutely plagued by automated dialler calls - the same ones endlessly, if you press to go through to a human and demand to be put on their no-call list they say yes (or hang up on you) and then the dialler calls back an hour or so later. I'm coming home from work to find my answerphone is clogged up with these messages, I'm answering the phone 3-4 times a day to them and I'm at my wits end with it.

Unfortunately I'm a supply teacher, so heavily dependent on the phone, and although I have caller ID set up, lots of the times my agency numbers come up as withheld too - so I can't just not take withheld numbers because of work. It also means that I HAVE to jump to it when the phone goes off - and then it's these flipping messages (which ALL seem to have the same woman on the recordings so she must have been busy selling cruises, free phones, windows and debt recovery plans).

I'm really really getting to the end of my tether with it - any advice? Anything Virgin can actually DO before I brave ringing the Indian call centre?

BenMcr
26-01-2009, 14:34
Only thing Virgin can do is change your number (or put the Anonymous block on that you can't do)

STONEISLAND
26-01-2009, 14:37
I get loads of them annoying dialler calls to. I'm also TPS, make no difference. It seems that if you use a dialler the law does not apply to you. I understand your frustration

dizzi
26-01-2009, 14:51
Didn't think Virgin would be able to do anything - was just a desperate shot in the dark... they really really need to put some legislation in about them because while they were annoying a few years ago, they're hitting ridiculous levels now.

Ernie_C
26-01-2009, 15:43
Here's an expensive hardware solution if you are REALLY bothered.

http://truecall.co.uk/

Matth
26-01-2009, 16:26
Cheaper option, field all calls with an answerphone.

PS. My number used to be a Mr. Patton / Patten, and even after a good many years (it was C&W when we joined), there are still spates of calls.

Maybe I should have tried spot of identity theft :devsmoke:

Peter_
26-01-2009, 20:02
Only thing Virgin can do is change your number (or put the Anonymous block on that you can't do)
Anonymous block does not stop all callers and when these people who can get through call, all 1471 says is "You were called today" so that is fallible and you have to pay for the privilege.

Wild Oscar
01-02-2009, 19:09
Cheaper option, field all calls with an answerphone.

This is exactly what I do .. seems to work quite well.

Although for the original poster it may not be ideal if an agency is trying to get through!

Sir John Luke
01-02-2009, 19:50
IF the number is available via 1471, stick it into Google. The odds are you'll be able to find out who is originating the calls. Complain the them direct, and/or Ofcom. It seems to have worked for me with both BCA (Book Club Associates) and Homeserve to date.

dizzi
10-02-2009, 15:39
I'm still getting these infernal things and since I've been TPS registered the 28 days now - I'm now starting banging in the complaints with every company. They all withhold their numbers so it requires some googling to find out what the number was everyone was complaining about before they started withholding them though.

I'm turning into a right Victor Meldrew complaining person me!

STONEISLAND
10-02-2009, 15:43
You have every right to as you are TPC. Drives me mad to, there mostly debt calls. When I press the option button to complain they just hang up!!!!!!!!

Maggy
10-02-2009, 17:46
I'm still getting these infernal things and since I've been TPS registered the 28 days now - I'm now starting banging in the complaints with every company. They all withhold their numbers so it requires some googling to find out what the number was everyone was complaining about before they started withholding them though.

I'm turning into a right Victor Meldrew complaining person me!

I'm a supply teacher too..I leave my answer phone on to hopefully field calls from my agency..However I also use my mobile with the agency which might be the best answer for you until you can get on top of the present problem that is..

Raistlin
10-02-2009, 19:16
My understanding of the TPS was that it can only prevent calls from companies/organisations that subscribe to it.

The really annoying companies, and those interested in the hard sell, are unlikely to sign up to any service that is likely to prevent them calling whoever they like.

Sir John Luke
10-02-2009, 19:20
I don't think so. AFAIK it is ILLEGAL to cold-call someone registered with the TPS. However, that only applies to companies calling from the UK.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

bopdude
10-02-2009, 19:35
Does th eold wives tale of putting the phone on the table so the dialer can't hang up thing work :shrug: I would love to do that, or if I had time leave them hanging. Years ago I mentioned on here somewher where an ex-workmate, took the cold call, went through the motions of getting someone to the door and then asked them if they had enjoyed the waste of time as much as he had :D Seemed to work :tu:

Ernie_C
11-02-2009, 10:07
You could do what my old dad used to do. Let them go on and on and encourage them that you were very interested in what they were selling then end the conversation with:

"So - do you think the Council will pay for those improvements to my council flat?"

mr,m
11-02-2009, 10:18
I seem to be getting rather a lot of calls from debt companies,I love it.I say I'm really in debt,but can they hang on a minute as my kettles just boiled,I just leave them hanging on,they're paying,I had one hang on for about 10 mins before I told them that actually I've changed my mind,good day lol

STONEISLAND
11-02-2009, 10:24
When I pressed option 3 to speak to someone from a debt company they had the cheek to say I rang them!!!!!!! I then asked to speak to the manager as I wanted there company name and address as the guy I was speaking to ‘had no authority to give that information’ to be told ‘he’s far to busy to speak to you’.
Made me so MAD I told him to F off very angrily, and hung up really wound me up. :mad: :mad: :afire:

Ernie_C
11-02-2009, 10:24
I seem to be getting rather a lot of calls from debt companies,I love it.I say I'm really in debt,but can they hang on a minute as my kettles just boiled,I just leave them hanging on,they're paying,I had one hang on for about 10 mins before I told them that actually I've changed my mind,good day lol
There's a common theme here. My old dad was a Liverpudlian. Came up here to Scotland during WW II.

mr,m
11-02-2009, 11:32
You could do what my old dad used to do. Let them go on and on and encourage them that you were very interested in what they were selling then end the conversation with:

"So - do you think the Council will pay for those improvements to my council flat?"

;) Typical scouser!!

esdxc37
11-02-2009, 12:50
My understanding of the TPS was that it can only prevent calls from companies/organisations that subscribe to it.

The really annoying companies, and those interested in the hard sell, are unlikely to sign up to any service that is likely to prevent them calling whoever they like.

any company that cold calls customers must check the TPS database before calling anyone. it is law not choice.

SilverLady
16-02-2009, 11:57
Having read the TPS site info again, I realise why I'm still getting these calls even though registered.

The callers always start off by saying that they're not selling anything, just carrying out market research. This must be the loophole that lets them through.

I was surprised that calls from political parties were also restricted, as we had an absolute stream of them during a recent by-election. Presumably these were also going under the heading of research rather than sales or marketing, but this seems a very narrow distinction.

altis
16-02-2009, 12:41
Indeed that is a legal loophole.

TPS are useless IMHO since they are an organization set up by the cold-calling industry to appease the government and side-step more onerous legislation.

Since June 2004, these callers have risked a £5000 for each and every offence. If you get these calls then I suggest you don't bother with the TPS. Record the call(s) and take it directly to your local Trading Standards office. They will jump at the chance of a prosecution - unlike the TPS.

Stuart
16-02-2009, 12:44
Anonymous block does not stop all callers and when these people who can get through call, all 1471 says is "You were called today" so that is fallible and you have to pay for the privilege.

Also, some organisations (such as Hospitals) deliberately use Anonymous numbers. Would Anonymous Call Rejection stop these?

nffc
16-02-2009, 13:02
Having read the TPS site info again, I realise why I'm still getting these calls even though registered.

The callers always start off by saying that they're not selling anything, just carrying out market research. This must be the loophole that lets them through.

I was surprised that calls from political parties were also restricted, as we had an absolute stream of them during a recent by-election. Presumably these were also going under the heading of research rather than sales or marketing, but this seems a very narrow distinction.
Well, maybe they are doing market research?

The TPS is run by the DMA...

dizzi
16-02-2009, 21:37
For reference - this is the email I got back from the TPS about these clowns:

Thank you for your complaint regarding recorded messages.

Organisations that use recorded phone message to try and sell or promote their products or business have to comply with the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003. These say that marketers who leave recorded phone messages must obtain prior consent from the subscriber before they can make such a call. Where a subscriber receives a recorded phone message they haven't agreed to there may have been a breach of the regulations.

If you are receiving recorded messages and have not given prior permission, you can complain directly to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), whose details are:
Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Wilmslow
Cheshire
SK9 5AF
Tel: 01625 545745
Fax: 01625 524510
Email: mail@ico.gsi.gov.uk
Web: www.ico.gov.uk

I trust the above is satisfactory, but if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Arthur Cummings

TPS Team Leader

So I keep complaining about every one of the calls I get to the ICO now. I fully intend to keep on complaining because I'm sick to death of the assumption that we PAY (through the nose judging by my most recent phone bill) to be harrassed by these numpties in the privacy of our own homes. I never ever ever tick the opt in marketing option on anything, and I'm scrupulous in selecting the opt out option where there's one there for that (and specifiying that I want to have it selected when giving details out over the phone or anything) - my bank continue to get very annoyed that I won't let them put me on their marketing calls list... shame heh.

nutellajunkie
09-03-2009, 20:22
Ever since switching to VOIP, Ive had zero of these calls..

irishguymcr
10-03-2009, 06:06
Call customer services and they'll put on ACR (Anonymous Caller Reject) for you if ur have nuisance calls and it's usually free for a month only other alternative is for a number change. If these companies are still getting through take down the telephone number that has called via 1471 and go on this site: http://whocallsme.com/
enter the phone number and search and when you find out who they are call them ... they don't like it when you call their head office to complain :-)

Peter_
10-03-2009, 07:06
Call customer services and they'll put on ACR (Anonymous Caller Reject) for you if ur have nuisance calls and it's usually free for a month only other alternative is for a number change. If these companies are still getting through take down the telephone number that has called via 1471 and go on this site: http://whocallsme.com/
enter the phone number and search and when you find out who they are call them ... they don't like it when you call their head office to complain :-)
The who calls me website is good but the anonymous caller reject is not infallible as some companies number just leave a "you were called today at" message and they are in many cases the main culprit and abuser of cold calling.

bob_a_builder
18-03-2009, 13:43
any company that cold calls customers must check the TPS database before calling anyone. it is law not choice

But not if they use a random dialer (the thing which can also result in a 'silent' call)
Stupid loophole in the law IMO, any number randommly generated should then have to be passed thru the TPS system.
The TPS has (AFAIAK) pretty much completely stopped any 'human' calls fro us

Its now the recorded message one which are becoming a pain, interesting to see that they are claimed by the TPS to already be illegal I wasn't aware of that
Although had just found that were also recently banned in the 'land of the free' too - LINK (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/08/telemarketing_rules.html)

How can you complain to the ICO since no numbers ever left ?

Is ACR free or not ?
Is it worth paying for ?
Why should we have to pay ?

irishguymcr
20-03-2009, 23:28
I had ACR on my line for a month cos we were getting prank calls from kids along with sales calls ... they completely stopped.

Took it off at the end of the month and no calls so far.

ACR is not free with Virgin but if you are having nuisance calls they will give you a free number change.

When i worked in Telesales we had to abide by TPS when calling using a dialler or direct.

One thing to watch out for is who the caller is, I was getting plagued with silent calls and it turned out to be my mobile provider trying to sell me broadband even though they new i am with virgin! Sometimes the company calling you has a direct connection ie mobile phone, credit card, etc.

nutellajunkie
21-03-2009, 08:46
The more of these calls you get the more you realise how much of these overseas people will do anything for the money.. mainly they will be incompetent rude monsters with no manners or compassion, or even goodwill.

Im another one that just goes along with the call until they realise im taking the P.