PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me understand shaping? Bandwidth graph included

sniper007
26-01-2009, 14:18
Hi guys,

Haven't posted here in a while. I have been popping in from time to time and have seen a lot of posts of late and information regarding traffic shaping and torrent throttling etc. Can someone help me understand traffic shaping?

1: First of all, are torrents throttled IN ADDITION TO standard traffic shaping techniques?

2: I have recently experienced shaping a few times on my connection, and this is not a post to moan about it (plenty of those already) but rather understand it and when I will get shaped. Is anyone able to tell from the graph below why I was shaped between 18:30 to 11:30 ? Which limit did I breach? Daytime download limit, evening peak upload limit or evening peak download limit?

Graph notes: 12-14:30 - downloading, then stopped for a bit manually, then restarted them at 16:00. Dark green shows average sustained. Light green is peak. This is on a 4mb cable connection.

3: Is there a daytime upload limit?

4: Does my daytime upload/download carry forward into the peak evening limit and add on the total amount?

I do not dispute or have a problem with the 5 hour rule as clearly this was to the minute. I just want to be sure I understand how not to breach limits in the first place. Is there an easy way of managing your connections/downloads to stop when they have munched too much bandwidth? I currently use Tomato firmware on my router but have not explored all it can do yet.

Thanks for your help.

Ignitionnet
26-01-2009, 14:59
Sure the dark green isn't just the upload in use at that time, and coloured so it shows with download on the same graph?

Asking as it matches the blue earlier on and is roughly at the upload level for your service, which should by the way be 10Mbit.

sniper007
26-01-2009, 17:07
Sorry I meant 10mb, no idea why I said 4mb. Sorry. Yes the dark is indeed upload I was having a moment. Cheers. Yeah Im not sure why it was blue earlier on, this is using built in tomato firmware bandwidth monitoring.