PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router

Mat-d-rat
26-01-2009, 10:51
I've been with NTL/Virigin for 9 odd years now, when I joined I had to buy a 3com modem :) Last year I had to fight tooth and nail to get a new modem off them as I could not get 20MB/S speed that I asked for. My wireless is now playing up and I'm wondering if it's worth asking for one as they now provide them free on the L and XL package (I downgraded from XL to L last summer to save a few quid!)... or anyone got one they want to pass on :)

xpod
26-01-2009, 11:06
I've been with NTL/Virigin for 9 odd years now, when I joined I had to buy a 3com modem Last year I had to fight tooth and nail to get a new modem off them as I could not get 20MB/S speed that I asked for. My wireless is now playing up and I'm wondering if it's worth asking for one as they now provide them free on the L and XL package (I downgraded from XL to L last summer to save a few quid!)... or anyone got one they want to pass on

You can but try.:)
I got mine off them for the cost of P&P but that was last year sometime.
It`s lay in a drawer for most of that time but i would rather keep it around for emergencies.

Got an old 120 modem you could have though:p:

EDIT:That was a joke admins.

Mat-d-rat
26-01-2009, 12:05
:) no use for a modem, it's my wireless that's a bit pants. Well the router! An old buffalo airstation, been thinking about replacing the firmware on it, but would be nice to have something else working just in case!

broadbandking
26-01-2009, 12:07
You will have to pay so I recommend looking on ebuyer they have some good wireless N routers

love2learn
26-01-2009, 14:53
I've been with NTL/Virigin for 9 odd years now, when I joined I had to buy a 3com modem :) Last year I had to fight tooth and nail to get a new modem off them as I could not get 20MB/S speed that I asked for. My wireless is now playing up and I'm wondering if it's worth asking for one as they now provide them free on the L and XL package (I downgraded from XL to L last summer to save a few quid!)... or anyone got one they want to pass on :)

Well I had a slow speed issue, which was deffinately down to oversubscribing my local UBR, as I work in tech support for another company... so I'm not daft. Anyway they mis diagnosed my problem twice and sent me 2 new modems free of charge. both within 1 week of each other. So getting a modem was easy, just call the indian tech support department and tell them you have slow speeds... they'll send out loads for you hahaha You could even start a business selling them on eBay. haha

With regards to the Wireless router... they sent me one of those too for free. I called their retensions department and told them I was thinking of leaving because they are offering new wireless routers to new customers, but they hadn't sent me one and I'm an exsiting customer. Had the new router within 3 days.
I'm glad I asked for it now, because the tech support department also tried to blame my slow speeds on my current router. So I opened the new one whilst they were on the phone, and got the same speeds with the one they provided me with. Even though they sent me the new modems, the speed still drops during peak times. When I first got 20mb, it was not advertised as "up to 20mb", now it is... it's because they know the service is not as good as it used to be, because they are greedy and over subscribe people. A bit like my local Gym haha

Mat-d-rat
26-01-2009, 15:04
Thanks for the hints, maybe I'll call retentions :)