PDA

View Full Version : How To Connect?

sprokky
24-01-2009, 22:17
Hi Guys, hope this is the right place to post this!

I was a customer with NTL ages ago, and have been using their broadband ever since. Back then you used this white CD-rom to get connected via ethernet. However, I've since lost the CD-rom, and now it's all apparently changed to Virgin! I went to their website, but there's no mention of how to order a new disk (if that's what's required now).

Any tips on how to get connected? Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

alferret
24-01-2009, 22:22
Phone them and get an account, then they will install for you.

sprokky
24-01-2009, 22:26
Oh, sorry, probably should add that I'm using Windows XP (Vista seems to connect automatically, for some reason). My modem's an 'NTL home 200' (Well, that's what it says on the bottom, anyway!).

Many thanks for any advice.

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

'Phone them and get an account, then they will install for you.'

Oh, thanks, so it needs to be done on an individual basis, there aren't just some quick settings you can adjust yourself? Kind of strange that Vista just automatically tunes into the right settings straight away, I guess.

alferret
24-01-2009, 22:26
Hi Guys, hope this is the right place to post this!

I was a customer with NTL ages ago, and have been using their broadband ever since. Back then you used this white CD-rom to get connected via ethernet. However, I've since lost the CD-rom, and now it's all apparently changed to Virgin! I went to their website, but there's no mention of how to order a new disk (if that's what's required now).

Any tips on how to get connected? Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Sorry I misread your original post, you said you WERE a customer, so I assumed you were no longer a customer.

You dont need a disc to use a modem just open this link https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ if you are a NEW user and have your details handy

EDIT

If you do not have an account then you must be trying to get online with a less than proper modem in that case there wont be any help here

Noggo
24-01-2009, 22:30
don't think you need the CD anymore. I take it you're direct PC to Cable Modem connection, if so just reboot the cable modem when you switch PC's.

homealone
24-01-2009, 22:40
The CD was only really needed to supply the USB drivers for people connecting their (older) modems by that method.

The ambit 256 modems currently being issued do not have an USB interface & there are no USB drivers available for the Vista operating system, anyway, everyone should now be connecting using the ethernet connection.

The CD is no longer required.

General Maximus
24-01-2009, 22:40
windows XP should automatically connect to the internet as XP does. If not open internet explorer and click on tool and internet options and if you have got any dial up bits in there delete them or click on never dial a connection.

sprokky
25-01-2009, 19:16
Well, all pretty confusing then. It's this PC running XP I'm having the trouble with (as I said, Vista PC works fine). The device manager says that the ethernet adapter should be working O.K., with the 'device is working properly' sign coming up no problem.
When I plug the ethernet cable into the PC, though, it seems to recognise it's there, and gives a signal of the speed (100.0 Mbps), but also flags up this message: 'Limited or no connectivity.' Have already gone through checking that no dial up bits are getting in the way.

What might be happening. Anyone any ideas?

homealone
25-01-2009, 19:43
Well, all pretty confusing then. It's this PC running XP I'm having the trouble with (as I said, Vista PC works fine). The device manager says that the ethernet adapter should be working O.K., with the 'device is working properly' sign coming up no problem.
When I plug the ethernet cable into the PC, though, it seems to recognise it's there, and gives a signal of the speed (100.0 Mbps), but also flags up this message: 'Limited or no connectivity.' Have already gone through checking that no dial up bits are getting in the way.

What might be happening. Anyone any ideas?

you need to turn the modem off & then on again to let it talk to the pc (about 30 seconds until the lights on the modem stabilise), after plugging in the ethernet cable - it doesn't 'hot plug' like USB does.

sprokky
25-01-2009, 19:44
Oh yes, by the way, there's another error message which says that the

'error occured because the network did not give a network address to the computer'

However, whenever I've clicked on 'repair connection' it simply says 'repair attempt failed' with no more information than that.

Maybe there's some techo-savvy person out there who could give some clues?

Cheers,

Sprokky

Stuart
25-01-2009, 19:47
Oh yes, by the way, there's another error message which says that the

'error occured because the network did not give a network address to the computer'

However, whenever I've clicked on 'repair connection' it simply says 'repair attempt failed' with no more information than that.

Maybe there's some techo-savvy person out there who could give some clues?

Cheers,

Sprokky

Do what homealone said above.

When you change the device connected to the modem, you need to power the modem down then up again, otherwise the new device will not recieve an IP.

If you are planning to do this regularly, you may be better off getting a router.

moaningmags
25-01-2009, 19:51
Go to Start > Run > type cmd press enter
Type
ipconfig /release press enter, does it release to 0.0.0.0 or give you an error message? If an error, what does it say?
If it releases to 0.0.0.0, type netsh winsock reset
press enter, you should get a message telling you to restart the computer.
After the reboot, go back to cmd and do type ipconfig
What do you get now for your ip address?