PDA

View Full Version : Swapping STB for cable modem

Redjay1
24-01-2009, 17:37
Hi all

I am moving out of my property where I had a Virgin Broadband setup with cable modem and my own router. I have been disconnected but still have the cable modem.

I am moving in with a friend who has Virgin Broadband but through an old Pace set top box. The room im moving into has an active connection point on the wall too.

Will it work if I transfer my cable modem and connect it to the connection point in the new room? Or will it refuse since the property is connected to the internet through a set top box?

Thanks

icestar2
24-01-2009, 18:14
I dont think it would work. If I remember correctly the Mac of the modem has to be activated on the account of the ISP holder. Am sure one of the tech guys will correct me soon if am wrong.

Peter_
24-01-2009, 18:16
Hi all

I am moving out of my property where I had a Virgin Broadband setup with cable modem and my own router. I have been disconnected but still have the cable modem.

I am moving in with a friend who has Virgin Broadband but through an old Pace set top box. The room im moving into has an active connection point on the wall too.

Will it work if I transfer my cable modem and connect it to the connection point in the new room? Or will it refuse since the property is connected to the internet through a set top box?

Thanks

The modem will not work as it will not be provisioned on your friends account and Virgin will not provision a modem from another account onto it either.

You would be better calling Virgin and get your friends account upgraded to a cable modem and asking them for a free router as it will be an upgrade, then you can both connect via cable or wirelessly.

Redjay1
24-01-2009, 18:34
Thank you both for this, its what I expected.

Are they likely to charge me for the cable modem upgrade?

My friend is actually thinking of getting a V+ box- am I right in thinking that you cannot connect to the internet through V+? In which case, they would have to upgrade us anyway I guess....

icestar2
24-01-2009, 18:38
We phoned up to switch to a cable modem and they didnt charge us anything. It probably depends on the CS agent you get.

If your friend does upgrade to V+ then they will provide a Cable modem for free of charge :)

Stabhappy
24-01-2009, 18:56
They are free replacements as it will improve the quality of your service.