PDA

View Full Version : Issues On 50Mbit? Post Here

Ignitionnet
24-01-2009, 14:00
Hi!

I'm trying to collect cases of sub-standard speeds and/or packet loss on 50Mbit services.

Yes I'm on a mission :angel:

I so far have:

Who? chris261
Where? Newcastle
When? Since install 2nd January
Why? Upstream SNR issue initially, believed fixed, current cause unknown
What? Slower than expected speeds

Who? Lee Black
Where? Dundee
When? Don't know - Ongoing as of 24th January
Why? Upstream SNR issue

Who? Rocky Wilkins
Where? Newcastle
When? Since install 20th January
Why? Upstream SNR issue, believed fixed but issues persist as of 24th January

Who? Paul Gordon
Where? Newcastle
When? Since install 13th January
Why? Upstream SNR issue, believed fixed, slow speeds persist

Who? Orion / Bubble
Where? Croydon
When? Since install 8th January
Why? Upstream SNR issue, fix set for 22nd January, issues still persist as of 24th

Who? DavidG
Where? Glenrothes
When? Since install - 'recent' to 19th January
Why? Upstream SNR issue
What? Slow speeds, packet loss

Be good to collect as much feedback as I can on this please.

Ignitionnet
26-01-2009, 16:31
Who? xero01uk
Where? Wolverhampton
When? Since install?
Why? Upstream SNR issue
What? Slow speeds, packet loss

broadbandking
26-01-2009, 16:44
Not so much a issue that caused a problem but well it is kind of a problem I was using my internet last night and I only had the power light and and the tick to confirm the modem is sync with the network so I rebooted it and bam slow browsing and whilst pinging bbc I lost all packets download speeds are fine and so is upstream, I am connected to dudley UBR 09, ONLY HAPPEN LAST NIGHT

moaningmags
26-01-2009, 16:45
Do you work for VM? If you do, given you know so much about the 50meg, surely you know what and where the issues are.
If you don't work for VM, what are you planning to do with your mission?

xero01uk
26-01-2009, 16:48
the when section for me, is from today when i recieved my router and dongle, i was installed on the 22nd (before that i was on the 10mb line)
From the 22nd Jan upto this morning i had been using my wireless G setup which got around 17mb.
Today i installed the new stuff and i got the same speeds, and also slower speeds (lowest speed according to speedtest.net was 568kbps)

But what i dont get is that i just download off utorrent a 300mb file and i hit over 1.2mb in spots, but the speed was very up and down, web browsing is slow as hell.

Speed as of 4:48pm 26th Jan: http://www.speedtest.net/result/398084149.png

broadbandking
26-01-2009, 16:51
From what I know BB is just a person who used to have dealings with VM and the mission is simple top help people with the issue they are having

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

the when section for me, is from today when i recieved my router and dongle, i was installed on the 22nd (before that i was on the 10mb line)
From the 22nd Jan upto this morning i had been using my wireless G setup which got around 17mb.
Today i installed the new stuff and i got the same speeds, and also slower speeds (lowest speed according to speedtest.net was 568kbps)

But what i dont get is that i just download off utorrent a 300mb file and i hit over 1.2mb in spots, but the speed was very up and down, web browsing is slow as hell.

Speed as of 4:48pm 26th Jan: http://www.speedtest.net/result/398084149.png

Download 2 files from gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk and let us know what speed you get please as BB said you have a SNR issue but might only be affecting the upload but its looks fine to me from the speed test.

moaningmags
26-01-2009, 16:53
From what I know BB is just a person who used to have dealings with VM and the mission is simple top help people with the issue they are having

Having dealings with VM applies to anyone who's ever been a customer.

Helping people with issues is great, I'm just curious as to what he's going to do with all the information he's gathering.
Write a letter? Call Richard Branson? Take it to Downing Street?
Are people pm'ing him account specific details or ip addresses and should this be encouraged if he doesn't work for VM?

xero01uk
26-01-2009, 16:55
started off at 300 then went down to 120 and continued to drop for both

EDIT: at least he is trying to help

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

also if im on 50mb i shouldnt be getting 17xxx download as that works out to be a 17mb line, something isnt right somewhere

broadbandking
26-01-2009, 16:56
Well thats crap are you using it wirelessly?

To mags he used to work from them thats what I meant and BB isd a trusted source

xero01uk
26-01-2009, 17:31
info from dongle:

RangeMax Wireless N USB Adapter WN111v2

Driver Provider: Atheros Communications Inc
Driver Date: 25/09/2008
Driver Version: 3.1.0.101
O/S Windows Vista x64 Ultimate SP1 and Windows 7 x64 Beta 1 (tested on both)

Vm have rulled out issues with wifi and no i cant use my onboard ethernet as it doesnt work

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

if anyone wants a more private chat about this then you can grab me via MSN at unimatrixero(at)live.co.uk

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

TCP Optimizer is currently set to 3000Kbps

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

so is it my setup or a line issue?

Ignitionnet
26-01-2009, 20:04
Helping people with issues is great, I'm just curious as to what he's going to do with all the information he's gathering

I'm passing it to Jacqui Smith.

Seriously, I'm collecting these purely to present a factual and well evidenced case to Virgin Media to simply do it better. I know there's a lot of work behind the scenes but more can and should be done. If I can in some small way push towards that all the better.

xero01uk
26-01-2009, 20:05
if you need any further info Broad then PM me i'll be happy to help out as much as i can

Callumpy
26-01-2009, 20:12
has anybody actually got what they are paying for yet with this 50meg?

gordonuk
27-01-2009, 09:32
Well I certainly ain't - hitting around 31mb occassionally on an evening.

Getting 31mb at the time of writing this post. But I would expect that to drop shortly back to under 20mb. Had no contact from Virgin since last week on this matter. And can't be bothered to call them as the UK support team are now about annoying as the offshore team. Asking you to do the same crap and always asking if you've optimised your connection.

xero01uk
27-01-2009, 13:20
Ive spoken to VM again this morning, and they are now 100% sure its a problem their end, they have given me a ETA of 29th, so heres hoping

broadbandbug
27-01-2009, 13:31
Well I certainly ain't - hitting around 31mb occassionally on an evening.

Getting 31mb at the time of writing this post. But I would expect that to drop shortly back to under 20mb. Had no contact from Virgin since last week on this matter. And can't be bothered to call them as the UK support team are now about annoying as the offshore team. Asking you to do the same crap and always asking if you've optimised your connection.

But you do want it fixed.. right?

If you don't tell them you have a problem how do you expect them to fix it?

gordonuk
27-01-2009, 14:00
Oh believe me - I've told them. I've been telling them since the 13th Jan. And it's still on-going. And so far I've seen 6 engineers in all looking at the problem.

moaningmags
27-01-2009, 18:26

Seriously, I'm collecting these purely to present a factual and well evidenced case to Virgin Media to simply do it better. I know there's a lot of work behind the scenes but more can and should be done. If I can in some small way push towards that all the better.

Unless you actually work for VM, why do you think they're going to listen to you?
In order to contact VM with your factual and well documented case you will need the account details of all those involved.
I would be reluctant to give that information to someone who doesn't work for VM.

While I think your crusade is an admirable one, the account holders would be better to contact VM themselves.

There's loads of posts in this forum showing how to set up the newsgroup for support, if they all post there then 2nd line will be able to collate this information and pass it on as they have a better understanding than most of us.

Again, I stress, no-one should be giving IP addresses or account details to someone who doesn't work for VM.

xero01uk
27-01-2009, 18:34
ohh mags, pipe down will you im with B.B he has been on these boards for ages and is known for his creditiblity, i for one trust him

moaningmags
27-01-2009, 18:45
ohh mags, pipe down will you im with B.B he has been on these boards for ages and is known for his creditiblity, i for one trust him

If you're quite happy to pass your IP and account details to someone who hasn't been verified as working for VM and has only been a member of the forum for 6 months, then please feel free.
I'm a little more security concious.

xocemp
27-01-2009, 18:47

I know there's a lot of work behind the scenes but more can and should be done. If I can in some small way push towards that all the better.

What is it that you think VM can do more of and should be doing that by collecting data will achieve?
I'm with Moaningmags, if all your doing is collecting forum user names and UBR's then fine, however, if you are also harvesting account details, MAC addresses and/or IP's then I'd like to see conformation that you work for VM. Can we have conformation from a CF staff member that Broadbandings is a VM rep please.

xero01uk, can I have your bank details please I just want to check your bank is giving you the service you should be getting. Oh and your IP address also so I can make some checks about your speed.

xocemp Join Date: 04-12-2008, must be ok right? ;)

xero01uk
27-01-2009, 18:51
[Mod Edit (Rob M): Removed]

Raistlin
27-01-2009, 18:59
Play nicely people.

How far individuals wish to trust other people who they don't know with IP addresses and other information is for them to decide.

I would suggest that people try to assure themselves as far as possible as to the identity of anybody that they might wish to provide any personal information to, and would urge you to err on the side of caution if in any doubt.

Sir John Luke
27-01-2009, 19:56
If you're quite happy to pass your IP and account details to someone who hasn't been verified as working for VM and has only been a member of the forum for 6 months, then please feel free.

Think you'll find he's been around a LOT longer than 6 months - just under a different name.

Russ
27-01-2009, 20:22
As Rob says, be VERY careful of passing on any details to someone the team has no reason to believe has any connection with VM. We have methods in place to confirm if they are VM employees or not.

If any VM workers want us to confirm their status please contact any team member.

dontpannic
27-01-2009, 21:19

Who's said anything about account details or IP addresses???

moaningmags
27-01-2009, 21:29
Who's said anything about account details or IP addresses???

I don't see how a case can be presented to VM without, at least, the account details.

You can't go to VM and say this user and that user on CF are having this issue, can you look into it, they'll need account details.

I'll repeat again for anyone who missed it, I think it's a great thing he's doing, it's the reason most of us use the forum, the ability and willingness to help people.

I won't apologise for asking people to be more security concious.

DigiB
27-01-2009, 21:39
has anybody actually got what they are paying for yet with this 50meg?

I'm getting 5.6 - 5.8 MB/s from newsgroups.

Ignitionnet
28-01-2009, 09:28
I am presenting no case to VM and most of the people seeing issues have already posted on the newsgroups and their information can be easily gained by them.

Other than that as I'm only really dealing with area faults here these can be relatively easily found, it's about establishing a pattern going forward - not dealing with every single fault on the network.

All information on location of posters on the newsgroups is either from the posts or the NNTP Posting Host header. The one case where I have asked for information on this forum I specifically asked the poster to censor the last octet of their IP address - to preserve their privacy.

Pushkar
05-02-2009, 08:19
Hello Broadbandings,

I think Virgin are capping users now? maybe?

Im limited to 10mb (speedtest confirms it as does downloading distros, limited to 9.8mbps) however the upload is a full.

Known issue?

Stephen
05-02-2009, 08:40
Hello Broadbandings,

I think Virgin are capping users now? maybe?

Im limited to 10mb (speedtest confirms it as does downloading distros, limited to 9.8mbps) however the upload is a full.

Known issue?
There is no STM enable on 50MB at the moment, have you tried rebooting the modem?

Ignitionnet
05-02-2009, 08:46
No - contact support.

BenMcr
05-02-2009, 10:40
http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

Can anyone with a 50Mbit modem check this URL - does it allow access to the status pages?

Pushkar
05-02-2009, 11:19
http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

Can anyone with a 50Mbit modem check this URL - does it allow access to the status pages?

Back to full 50, but strange it was limited to 10, will keep note if anything happens again.

Also Ben, it doesnt work and the only time you can access the config is when you just rebooted it and before it connects to the internet, so you have what just under a minute to check config files.

BenMcr
05-02-2009, 11:21
Okies, dunno why they've decided to disallow access to the pages though.

Unless they don't people looking at it, thinking something is wrong when it isn't, and phoning support

Pushkar
05-02-2009, 11:27

Unless they don't people looking at it, thinking something is wrong when it isn't, and phoning support

Maybe, who made the new modem, Samsung?

Ignitionnet
05-02-2009, 11:30

Doesn't make a huge amount of sense though when you remember that people can see stats on the legacy service. A few thousand people looking at the stats and complaining next to a few million isn't much.

Think it might be a firmware bug.

I'm more annoyed that the ex-ntl guys have had their way and killed SNMP access, almost tempts me to mess with the modem to get it back, I quite like getting traffic stats straight off the modem :mad:

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

Maybe, who made the new modem, Samsung?

Ambit, same as the others.

Pushkar
14-02-2009, 20:13
We have working access to config files!

192.168.100.1 works a charm now.

"Software Version : 3.11.1009", didn't know how they auto updated it but glad it works.

It mentions something about upstream burst, does this mean that upload speeds may burst upto higher speeds in the future? :D

BB speed 53megabits, 6.45mb/s.

Ignitionnet
14-02-2009, 20:31
We have working access to config files!

192.168.100.1 works a charm now.

"Software Version : 3.11.1009", didn't know how they auto updated it but glad it works.

It mentions something about upstream burst, does this mean that upload speeds may burst upto higher speeds in the future? :D

BB speed 53megabits, 6.45mb/s.

Autoupdate of modem firmware is a standard part of the specifications and has been since DOCSIS 1.0.

Upstream burst isn't related to future upstream speeds sadly.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk86/tk168/technologies_tech_note09186a00800949d7.shtml

This thread has gone all quiet as I've decided I can't be bothered with trying to get VM or any other provider in the UK to improve their services. Only thing they listen to is those holding the purse strings rather than the quality of the services or the customers.

lowei
15-02-2009, 09:57
hello
I had 50 meg installed yesterday,engineer could not get the TCPOptimizer installed,so got it up and running today and iam still getting a crap speed File size transferred : 10.0 MB (10485760 bytes)
Total time taken : 3.08 seconds (3078 milliseconds)
Throughput : 3406.0 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]
= 3.41 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
= 27248.0 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
= 27.25 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]ed.

g0mit
15-02-2009, 11:58
Hi I had installed Saturday this is speed test today I had TCP on computer tech used that

George

File size transferred : 100.0 MB (104857600 bytes)
Total time taken : 17.88 seconds (17875 milliseconds)
Throughput : 5866.0 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]
= 5.87 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
= 46928.0 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
= 46.93 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/02/20.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Pushkar
15-02-2009, 18:48
Try downloading linux distros, two or three at one time and check out the speeds as speedtest sites aren't reliable!

andylloyd86
15-02-2009, 20:08
I'm having a bit of trouble with my speed. I've been playing about with it for days and it seems to fluctuate quite a lot. Just as I think I've solved something, the speed dips.

In general, I'm getting about 47mb most of the time when directly connected to the modem. I can't complain about that.

I'm getting about 45mb connected via ethernet to the router. I can't complain about that either!

I have two laptops connected wirelessly. One is using Intel WiFi Link 5100 (802.11 a/g/n). I've managed to get this up to between 30mb and 40mb. This seemed to drop to around 20mb when I brought my laptop downstairs even though I have full signal.

The other laptop is where my main problem lies. I only seem to get around 20mb on there if I'm lucky even when I'm in the same room as the router. That laptop is using the WN111 netgear USB adaptor supplied by Virgin.

The router is also the WNR2000 from Virgin.

I'd be quite happy with around 40mb on all computers really as I know it would be too much to expect each computer to be at 50mbps.

I really don't know what to do now! I'm hoping things will improve in the next version of firmware for the router but it's the USB adaptor that concerns me most.

Pushkar
15-02-2009, 22:58
Andy, it's just how wireless is, the further you are away - the less speed you will get.

I've got two blazing fast Macs, and another Apple Wireless N router to go with the VM supplied N router, and they work at around the same speeds (Apple is obviously just a bit faster!) and thats about 35mb. I don't think that you should expect too much from Wireless especially when it's not fully drafted.

andylloyd86
15-02-2009, 23:12
Maybe but there's still the problem with the USB adaptor as that doesn't even get about 25mb when in the same room as the router. I'm happy enough with everything else really :)

Stabhappy
15-02-2009, 23:28
Are the 'n' routers running at 5ghz?

BenMcr
15-02-2009, 23:47
the WNR2000 is 2.4Ghz only

Dual Band routers are still the wrong side of £100!

Pushkar
16-02-2009, 08:50
the WNR2000 is 2.4Ghz only

Dual Band routers are still the wrong side of £100!

Nope, the WNR supports 5 ghz also.

broadbandking
16-02-2009, 09:06
From what I read its only 2.4Ghz heres the specs for it showing that is supports 2.4Ghz only
http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNR2000.aspx?detail=Specifications

Now this router supports 5Ghz as it dual band
http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxWirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNDR3300.aspx?detail=Specifications

on in an hour!
16-02-2009, 11:19
hello
I had 50 meg installed yesterday,engineer could not get the TCPOptimizer installed,so got it up and running today and iam still getting a crap speed File size transferred : 10.0 MB (10485760 bytes)
Total time taken : 3.08 seconds (3078 milliseconds)
Throughput : 3406.0 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]
= 3.41 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
= 27248.0 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
= 27.25 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]ed.
hi lowei,
have you tried it directly wired to your laptop,i remember getting 46/47meg when i tested it wired to the router.this could be the problem i told you about with netgear wireless-N router.;)

lowei
16-02-2009, 21:58
Thanks,on in a hour!
Wired to lap top now getting 47Mbps.Just hope netgear dont take long to sort out the drivers for the WNR2000 router

broadbandking
16-02-2009, 22:37
Thanks,on in a hour!
Wired to lap top now getting 47Mbps.Just hope netgear dont take long to sort out the drivers for the WNR2000 router

I have never had a problem with my WNR2000 giving me full speed and I am wired don't like wireless

joglynne
17-02-2009, 12:41
I wasn't sure whether, or where, to post this link but as it deals with a subscribers experiences with 50Mb I thought maybe some members might find it interesting to follow what will be a highish profile test drive of the new service by Darren Waters editor of the BBC News website's technology index.

Not getting anywhere near the 50Mb speeds and writing about it on a main line web sight seems to have attracted VMs attention and I thought their comment was interesting.
Virgin has been in touch to say there is no reason I shouldn't be seeing speeds of 50Mbps downstream on my connection. and members might like to take Darren up on this
If you've got any suggestions of how I should test or use the connection, let me know. If you're a broadband speed merchant, perhaps using ADSL2+ connections, or are using Velocity1, let me know how you are finding the service, and what you are using it for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/02/can_virgin_satisfy_the_need_fo.html

Ignitionnet
17-02-2009, 13:40
Anyone would think someone has been chatting to the BBC about this stuff. :angel:

on in an hour!
17-02-2009, 17:42
I have never had a problem with my WNR2000 giving me full speed and I am wired don't like wireless

sorry,my mistake in my last post,its the wireless-N dongle that has throughput issues,we have been told that netgear will be releasing updated drivers for it in feb,and will be in touch with all 50meg subs to let them know where to get the free d/load ;)

marv69
23-02-2009, 04:01
i normaly get full speed from my 50meg con, but if i download a few files it seems to cap me to 10mbit. :( ive call vm about this and 3 times now they have told me there is no traffic shaping on my line, They have even sent engineers out who seen what was happening and they didnt have a clue aswell.:(

So from my point of view it`s defo being shapped. happens all the time when i download a few gigs, even know at 4am.

on in an hour!
23-02-2009, 19:35
driver updates are available for the wireless-N dongle,go to www.virginmedia.com/driverupdates ;)

Pushkar
23-02-2009, 19:49
driver updates are available for the wireless-N dongle,go to www.virginmedia.com/driverupdates ;)

Your link doesn't work and also why do we need to use the VM supplied drivers, i've used default Netgear one's and they work okay.

on in an hour!
23-02-2009, 20:11
Your link doesn't work and also why do we need to use the VM supplied drivers, i've used default Netgear one's and they work okay.
i didnt post it as a link,if youve got them from netgear theyre the same ones that VM now have on their website,supplied by netgear actually :erm:

lowei
23-02-2009, 20:28
Anyone got a link please?????;)

Pushkar
23-02-2009, 21:04
Anyone got a link please?????;)

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2603

blenky
24-02-2009, 12:08
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2603

The Vista drivers on the VM disk seem to be more up to date than the ones at that link.

Driver version on VM disk v3.1.0.106 dated Dec 19, 2008
Drivers via link v3.1.0.101 dated Nov 13, 2008

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

Got 50 Mbit installed and working fine wired.

Default laptop G wireless adaptor connects fine but when disabled and trying to use the supplied USB adaptor no luck.

Followed instructions to the letter but no joy. The Netgear software just sits there saying its 'scanning' - but never connects!

Any ideas?

marv69
24-02-2009, 12:25
Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

any idea what this means ?

Ignitionnet
24-02-2009, 13:05
Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

any idea what this means ?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=T3+Timeout ;)

HSp8
24-02-2009, 13:30
just had 50Mb installed couple of hours ago

getting about 46Mb from newsgroup servers (Astraweb and Virgin servers) - same speeds whether wired to modem or homeplugs

wireless g getting about 21Mb (and that's being right next to router)`- drops to about 10Mb if I go into the next room

and the wireless n dongle seems pretty rubbish - coming in at at a measly 5Mb

I'm quite happy though as will be using wired connection for downloading, and wireless g for just browsing

and the n dongle I can use whenever I want to scratch my bum

kevinanderson4
24-02-2009, 15:33
getting despondent now.... had 50meg installed last thursday and apart from the one time when the technician managed to get a speed of 43meg (after numerous calls to the service desk and to his supervisor!!) the speeds have been very poor. They deteriated more over the weekend and my connection eventually died on Sunday. Been told by the helpdesk that there is a fault in the area and was first given a date of the 23/02 which has come and gone and now told the 26/02 but they cant guarantee that. Managed to get a limited connection back again last night but its worse than dial up!!

Anyone else on ubr17 New Malden having problems?

Ignitionnet
24-02-2009, 15:39
Which 'helpdesk' told you this?

I had a tech who covers that area here today and he said there weren't any major problems with New Malden and the 50Mbit rollout.

kevinanderson4
24-02-2009, 16:31
have phoned 3 times to 150, although all 3 times have been in the evenings and have been answered by the overseas call centres, Last two times i was transfered through to a team that is apparently dedicated to 50meg. All 3 have said there is a signal problem and the last also mentioned a server problem in the area.

---------- Post added at 16:31 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

just phoned again and now been told that the fault is not at the ubr but with the cable coming from the ubr to our street and that it would be fixed tomorrow... not sure if i should believe that??? Anyway i shall just have to wait and hope

blenky
25-02-2009, 02:01
Got 50 Mbit today (or should I say yesterday now!) and everything seemed OK.

Late this evening I was downloading from Newshosting newsgroups and I was maxing out. Then suddenly at about 1.30 am the speed dropped to around 20 Mbit.

I tried the same downloads from Virgins Media newsgroups to check not an issue with Newshosting. Getting exactly the similar sort of speed - about 23 Mbit.

Whats going on?

Master2k5
25-02-2009, 20:58
Hi all. I had 50Mb installed on Tuesday of this week. On installation, I was getting 5.2 mbps download and around 42 Mbytes on Virgin Media speed test. I was told that the 42 Mbytes was possibly inaccurate because of other users on the speed test. I thought the download speed of 5.2 mbps was correct for 50mb broadband; the engineer was non-commital (he had possibly had enough of me at that point!).
After further investigation, I discovered that the correct download speed should be around 6.5. I have done the same speed tests as the engineer and have the following results:
31.98 Mbytes
29.73 Mbytes
27.59 Mbytes
33.26 Mbytes

With these results i am now experiencing even slower download speeds (as expected), and massive amounts of packet loss. I have queried my modem and found the following:
downstream:
DS1 15.77
DS2 15.37
DS3 15.12
Upstream
Power level 32.00 dBmV

Not sure if these levels are correct lead tech is coming on sat which is good. iam also in a anolog area.
what do you think ???

blenky
25-02-2009, 22:45
With these results i am now experiencing even slower download speeds (as expected), and massive amounts of packet loss. I have queried my modem and found the following:
downstream:
DS1 15.77
DS2 15.37
DS3 15.12
Upstream
Power level 32.00 dBmV

Not sure if these levels are correct lead tech is coming on sat which is good. iam also in a anolog area.
what do you think ???

Where exactly are the figures for DS1 - DS3 you are quoting? I have various figures quoted, none that similar to yours.

My upstream power level is 49.25

I'm having some strange issues d/l from 'Newshosting' newsgroups. Downloading one set of files I was only getting about 7 Mbit! However when I selected a different set of files from another group (still on Newshosting) it maxed out. Switching between d/l the different set of files consistantly strangled and them maxed the speed. Can't figure that out!

BTW which speed test did you use?

xocemp
25-02-2009, 23:23
DS1 - DS3 values look to be SNR

blenky
26-02-2009, 00:04
DS1 - DS3 values look to be SNR

I think thats referred to as RxMER in the modems config.

Mine is

DS1 38.98
DS2 39.40
DS3 39.40

Don't know if they are OK or what?

deltanine
26-02-2009, 10:56
Driver update for USB dongle here ladies and gents

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/wireless/nrouter-driverupdate.php

:)

Master2k5
26-02-2009, 17:07
Where exactly are the figures for DS1 - DS3 you are quoting? I have various figures quoted, none that similar to yours.

My upstream power level is 49.25

BTW which speed test did you use?

The figures are downstream 1 to 3 ie DS2 15.37 dBmv power level.
the speed test was a virgin media speed test i got off the engineer on install.

blenky
26-02-2009, 20:42
The figures are downstream 1 to 3 ie DS2 15.37 dBmv power level.
the speed test was a virgin media speed test i got off the engineer on install.
My power levels are

DS1 11.04
DS2 10.95
DS3 11.12

kevinanderson4
05-03-2009, 08:31
Getting slightly p***ed off now, after three weeks of poor connections/download speeds and various different reasons why my connection was not working properly vm sent a technician out on monday as they believed there was a signal/power problem. I unfortunatly wasnt at home at the time but the engineer assured my partner that all was working fine when he left. On first inspection the speedtest showed 48mb but this then immediatley began detereating over the next few hours to a been virtually unable to open a web page. After another call to vm they sent out a "specialist" engineer yesturday, he replaced some fuses/filters in the old telewest box and on first two tests he got about 40mb but then it immediatly started dropping to 38 then 30. He said it was pulsing and was a network problem and would pass it on to the network team which would probably take about a week and a half. Well by 8pm last night it had dropped to 2mb and by 9pm i couldnt even surf the web!! Lets hope the network team can sort this out as i feel im getting the run around

Funny how the only thing that ever seems to work probably at vm is the department and servers that sends out the bills!!

leexgx
05-03-2009, 23:47
after testing and messing an bit (WNR2000 router), the routers QOS seems to cap the download to around 4.4MB/s (40mb) turning off Internet Access QoS and Bandwidth Control

above seems to fix most problems get an nice constant avg of 6MB/s 99% of the time odd time it drops back to 250KB/s + massive packet loss then 5-10 mins later goes back to full speed (that problem seems to be whats happening to alot of 50MB users on top as what happens to kev's post above mine untill speed is restored web sites slow)

allso for users with poor speeds you must use WPA2 only if you want full Wireless speed out of pre-n 2.0 stuff (even says so on the help on the right) 300mb must be selected as 145 is default, you will/may be limited to just above norm 54g wireless speeds if WEP or WPA1 is used (not sure about no security)

Master2k5
06-03-2009, 18:17
after testing and messing an bit (WNR2000 router), the routers QOS seems to cap the download to around 4.4MB/s (40mb) turning off Internet Access QoS and Bandwidth Control

above seems to fix most problems get an nice constant avg of 6MB/s 99% of the time odd time it drops back to 250KB/s + massive packet loss then 5-10 mins later goes back to full speed (that problem seems to be whats happening to alot of 50MB users on top as what happens to kev's post above mine untill speed is restored web sites slow)

allso for users with poor speeds you must use WPA2 only if you want full Wireless speed out of pre-n 2.0 stuff (even says so on the help on the right) 300mb must be selected as 145 is default, you will/may be limited to just above norm 54g wireless speeds if WEP or WPA1 is used (not sure about no security)

Good post i am experiencing exactly the same problems as you but not messed with the settings on the WNR2000 that you mentioned above will give them a go and post back.
Using a belkin n1 at the moment which keeps dropping down in speed and packet loss then seems after 5 min or so its fine. looks like i have been done again by VM.

kevinanderson4
06-03-2009, 19:03
Checked my router and both Internet access QoS and Bandwidth control are set off as standard. Problem still occurs if i plug the pc directly into the modem, have also tried two laptops plugged directly into the modem with the same results. Going to post it on virgin media newsgroups to see if anyone can shed some light on the problem.

UnReaL
06-03-2009, 22:43
So much for the anticipation of 50Mb:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/66.png (http://www.speedtest.net/)

I was out when the engineer came around, was told by him on the phone that it was reading 49.6Mb on Speedtest.net and that everything was fine, got home, and downloads went from 6.40Mb to around 400Kb/s MAX, then got a phone call from Virgin Media to ask how the installation went about 3 or 4 hours later, I said I honestly had no idea what exactly happened, as I wasn't here, but my dad was and he doesn't have a clue about computers, or what the engineer was doing.

By the way, I tried the downloading direct from ethernet and through my Linksys Wireless Router and the Netgear Wireless router provided by VM only to get the same results.

A tech support guy told me to log into VMpilot.net with username and password he provided, I did so and it showed 49.24Mb, I ran it twice, both times it showed the exact same value, including the time taken for the tests, etc.

I told the technician that those results don't mean anything, as I'm not even getting faster then the 2.58Mb I used to get with my 20Mb connection.

The reply I got was that the VMPilot website showed that I was getting full speed and that there is nothing that can be done about my download speeds

I was pretty much pee'd off at this moment in time, I had enough of listening to someone who wouldn't take a second to listen and understand my problem.

I'm still getting crappy speeds, I shall phone tomorrow, praying all night that I actually get through to someone that will actually provide some support, even though I was told 50Mb had its own tech 'special' support team.

Cable Modem Upstream

Power Level: 55.75

--------------------------------------------------

Cable Modem Downstream

Power Level:

DS-1 = -1.92
DS-2 = 2.20
DS-3 = 2.38

I see that people are posting Power Levels, I thought I'd do it aswell, hopefully someone would kindly tell me if they are at the right levels, as it could be the reason why this is happening.

Thanks.

Sirius
06-03-2009, 22:53
So much for the anticipation of 50Mb:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/66.png (http://www.speedtest.net/)

I was out when the engineer came around, was told by him on the phone that it was reading 49.6Mb on Speedtest.net and that everything was fine, got home, and downloads went from 6.40Mb to around 400Kb/s MAX, then got a phone call from Virgin Media to ask how the installation went about 3 or 4 hours later, I said I honestly had no idea what exactly happened, as I wasn't here, but my dad was and he doesn't have a clue about computers, or what the engineer was doing.

By the way, I tried the downloading direct from ethernet and through my Linksys Wireless Router and the Netgear Wireless router provided by VM only to get the same results.

A tech support guy told me to log into VMpilot.net with username and password he provided, I did so and it showed 49.24Mb, I ran it twice, both times it showed the exact same value, including the time taken for the tests, etc.

I told the technician that those results don't mean anything, as I'm not even getting faster then the 2.58Mb I used to get with my 20Mb connection.

The reply I got was that the VMPilot website showed that I was getting full speed and that there is nothing that can be done about my download speeds

I was pretty much pee'd off at this moment in time, I had enough of listening to someone who wouldn't take a second to listen and understand my problem.

I'm still getting crappy speeds, I shall phone tomorrow, praying all night that I actually get through to someone that will actually provide some support, even though I was told 50Mb had its own tech 'special' support team.

Cable Modem Upstream

Cable Modem Downstream

Power Level:

DS-1 = -1.92
DS-2 = 2.20
DS-3 = 2.38

I see that people are posting Power Levels, I thought I'd do it aswell, hopefully someone would kindly tell me if they are at the right levels, as it could be the reason why this is happening.

Thanks.

Same here in warrington

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/67.png

blenky
06-03-2009, 23:21
Cable Modem Upstream

Cable Modem Downstream

Power Level:

DS-1 = -1.92
DS-2 = 2.20
DS-3 = 2.38

Thanks.

Mmm don't know what the levels should be - I don't think anyone in the know has posted ideal levels. All I can say is that they differ a lot form mine and I'm currently getting blistering speeds -sorry don't want to rub it in.

My levels and speed test are

Cable Modem Upstream

Power Level: 49.25

Cable Modem Downstream

Power Level:

DS-1 = 11.04
DS-2 = 10.91
DS-3 = 11.05

[/URL][URL="http://www.speedtest.net"]https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/65.png (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/%5BURL=http://www.speedtest.net%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://www.speedtest.net/result/424479169.png%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D)

UnReaL
06-03-2009, 23:28
Mmm don't know what the levels should be - I don't think anyone in the know has posted ideal levels. All I can say is that they differ a lot form mine and I'm currently getting blistering speeds -sorry don't want to rub it in.

My levels and speed test are

Cable Modem Upstream

Power Level: 49.25

Cable Modem Downstream

Power Level:

DS-1 = 11.04
DS-2 = 10.91
DS-3 = 11.05

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/65.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

It's okay, I just want the speeds I paid for any nothing less, as I'm getting at present.

Sirius
07-03-2009, 07:30
Its fine this morning, No idea what was happening last night

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/63.png

broadbandking
07-03-2009, 08:35
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/64.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Mine always been great in Dudley

blenky
07-03-2009, 09:39
Its fine this morning, No idea what was happening last night

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/03/63.png

I've noticed sudden unexplained huge drops in speed. Sometimes last hours sometimes minutes.

Ignitionnet
07-03-2009, 10:00
Cable Modem Upstream

Thanks.

We have a winner - note the bit I left behind, that's too high for the standard 16QAM modulation that the 50Mbit rollout uses.

leexgx
07-03-2009, 21:31
seems fine most of the time

Power Level (dBmV)
1 1.94
2 2.10
3 2.41

other info in down
RxMER
(dB) 35.42 35.42 35.78 N/A
Correctable
Codewords 8761 7871 5786 N/A
Uncorrectable
Codewords 343 320 301 N/A

up power

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

Good post i am experiencing exactly the same problems as you but not messed with the settings on the WNR2000 that you mentioned above will give them a go and post back.
Using a belkin n1 at the moment which keeps dropping down in speed and packet loss then seems after 5 min or so its fine. looks like i have been done again by VM.

must admit this is the best Netgear router i have used for an long time as most of them norm Hang when i push alot of packets at them or some p2p apps can make them crash as well (did an test crash by thowing 1000 connections at it seemed to hold up,for the most part it mostly just slows down an little)