PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media... Totally useless?

musicmaster5000
23-01-2009, 18:14
Our internet has been playing up now for about 4 months,

In Vista the "Networking and Sharing Center" shows the computer connected to the network (Netgear) but no internet connection (at the time that the net drops out)

Virgin won't do anything because no lights go out, but there is still a problem with the internet.

1. It's not Vista due to another computer running XP
2. It's not the router as we've bought a new one / Ran the computer straight through the modem.
3. Virgin have sent out 2 modems and we've still got the problem

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance =)

BenMcr
23-01-2009, 18:33
Does the computer work fine when directly connected to the modem? Or does it still drop out?

musicmaster5000
23-01-2009, 19:14
No it still plays up :\

cripinuk
25-01-2009, 09:55
Same here im on my 3rd modem in for months,they seem to think it could be anything else but them..

musicmaster5000
25-01-2009, 10:47
Well I guess i'm not the only one then, maybe it's happening to others and they aren't bothering to complain?

I'm seriously considering to leave them and go with Be but that requires a BT line which is gonna set us back about £110 with post office =(

Ignitionnet
25-01-2009, 10:56
Give BT a call, see if there's an existing line to your property. If there isn't just *shrug* and say you'll stick with cable.

They may offer some 'flexibility' ;)

musicmaster5000
25-01-2009, 11:01
Give BT a call, see if there's an existing line to your property. If there isn't just *shrug* and say you'll stick with cable.

They may offer some 'flexibility' ;)

LOOL!! I shall give it a try ;)

There is a line coming here but they're saying it needs to be replaced.

Also BT said we won't have to pay the £122 (with BT) £107 (with Postoffice) if we go into an 18th month contract with them and pay a £23 connection fee, but we don't really want to go with BT as PostOffice do better phone deals =)

stepp
25-01-2009, 15:09
yes they are totally useless.

Milambar
25-01-2009, 15:24
yes they are totally useless.

I disagree. They aren't brilliant, but they aren't totally useless either. When everything works, and you're not leeching like a mofo and getting stm'd, then everything works as described. As Im not a leecher, I rarely if ever hit STM, so I'm happy.

The problem is, when things go wrong, then with virgin, they go majorly wrong, and VM's indian callcenters really don't want to fix them. They just want to close the call asap. Get through to a UK based techy, and you're laughing. Problems are usually sorted fast.

Overall, I'm quite satified with my VM connection. It could be better (read: cheaper), but considering Im not within range of a BT adsl enabled exchange, I will stick with them.

You can't take what you read in forums as a representative sample of user satisfaction, as people only post when they have an axe to grind.

m419
25-01-2009, 15:42
Maybe its not a problem with Virgin Media but with your equipment! Are you using an USB cable or Ethernet cable for your connection between the modem and the pc???

Matth
25-01-2009, 16:20
I disagree. They aren't brilliant, but they aren't totally useless either. When everything works, and you're not leeching like a mofo and getting stm'd, then everything works as described. As Im not a leecher, I rarely if ever hit STM, so I'm happy.

The problem is, when things go wrong, then with virgin, they go majorly wrong, and VM's indian callcenters really don't want to fix them. They just want to close the call asap. Get through to a UK based techy, and you're laughing. Problems are usually sorted fast.

Overall, I'm quite satified with my VM connection. It could be better (read: cheaper), but considering Im not within range of a BT adsl enabled exchange, I will stick with them.

You can't take what you read in forums as a representative sample of user satisfaction, as people only post when they have an axe to grind.

Good points, it's rare to hear from anyone who says "my service is wonderful".

In general, I'll hit the 0800 052 4315 to check if there is a problem reported, try rebooting the box and router, and probably leave it until tomorrow if the box light is flashing.

Hopefully, the new box gets rid of my own local minor issue of frequent box crashes, but even then the remaining total of minor and major outages does not compare that well with cheap ADSL (so much for the "Mother of all Broadband").

PS. When it is "out", try a trace, the kind of fault where trace flops after the second hop (1 = your router, 2 = the modem) or a few hops into the network, seems pretty common. Once the trace is making it further than the modem, then that suggests it's their network problem, while if it stops at the modem, it's a modem, line or head end issue.

musicmaster5000
25-01-2009, 16:48
Nice to see someone agrees with me that they are useless.

As for saying Virgin are great it was a lot better when it was Telewest.

All cables have been checked and are all ethernet cables,

How do I do a trace?

As for the "Mother of all broadband" depends how reliable your mother is really ;)

ps3man
25-01-2009, 16:58
Would agree with the useless statment. fine if its working if not tough. just gutted i have to wait util tomorrow to cancel mine

keyholder
26-01-2009, 05:10
Our internet has been playing up now for about 4 months,

In Vista the "Networking and Sharing Center" shows the computer connected to the network (Netgear) but no internet connection (at the time that the net drops out)

Virgin won't do anything because no lights go out, but there is still a problem with the internet.

1. It's not Vista due to another computer running XP
2. It's not the router as we've bought a new one / Ran the computer straight through the modem.
3. Virgin have sent out 2 modems and we've still got the problem

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance =)

If u know people in the same street as u and god forbid that they have VM , ask them to unplug thier modem and u plug ur modem in thier place hook it up to thier pc and then see what happens. It shouldnt Brick / blacklist your modem as your still on the same UBR. If it does, PM me and i will tell u how to ask for a new one from VM without no probs:D

I know it sounds stupid but it will determine weather thier line has the same issue or its just your modem. very doubtfull, unless its a bad batch. Unless u know the modem inside n out i.e config files then its hard to tell. Also possibly use the persons modem on ur home conection see how your internet works then with thier modem.

If still all else fails then do a trace router check for signal loss etc, OR quite possibly its a problem on the network vm are unaware of , but after 4 months youd think they would know about it by now. :dunce:

Other than that m8, i dont know what to sugest without gettin to in depth. There are other possible ways of trying your conection to see if its ur end or vm's but i will no doubt get banned from here so thats a no go :P Unless u pm me :D

One last thing. Unplug ur modem @ the power & coax, plug power back in. give it 30 - 60 seconds, Now plug in your coax,

once all lights are as they should be , do a downlaod test from www.speedtest.net and see what you get. If possible do this from both pc's & after 9m so ur not STM'd. If your getting crap results then yes its virgins end. I sugest this as its clear your not gettin no where with VM, and basically it narrows down even further your problem at where it arises :D

Good luck. Keep us posted:D