PDA

View Full Version : Netgear WGR614v9 wireless router disconnecting

Pnx235
21-01-2009, 07:55
I'm having a problem with constant disconnecting of the wireless connection for all my computers. It can stay connected for 5 seconds or 5 hours until it next disconnects.

Router: Netgear WGR614v9
Region: ex NTL area (Blackburn)

I have tried power cycling and changing router wireless channels, it connects via windows own connection manager, so nothing else is fighting for the connection.

There is a wireless network next door, which is always on, so I'm not sure if that is interfering. I use no other wireless equipment in the house that would cause any disconnections at random times/intervals.

I also had no problem using the wireless connection from my previous provider.

Apologies if a solution to this is posted elsewhere, I've read through other wireless and disconnecting threads, but have not yet found a solution for my issue.

If any further info is needed, please let me know.

Stabhappy
21-01-2009, 09:50
Have you tried channels 1, 6 and 11? May be worth installing netstumbler to check what channels others are using

Pnx235
21-01-2009, 15:48
thanks for reply. I've tried channels auto through to 13, twice each & only changing after it has disconnected a few times on current channel.

regarding netstumbler, can this be used to filter out other traffic etc and fix my problem?

Stabhappy
21-01-2009, 16:49
no, netstumbler just gives you an idea of what other wireless networks are in range (and broadcasting) in order to show you which channels are being saturated.

Pnx235
22-01-2009, 14:34
Just tried netstumbler, 1 active AP and only my router listed on the channel I am using & the signal is between -20 and -30. I'm not sure what else to do?

toady
22-01-2009, 17:57
Try working on one PC at a time, and try to upgrade/downgrade the network drive.

Same fault on both my laptops and by playing around with the wireless drivers, it cured ther fault on both machines

Pnx235
23-01-2009, 23:33
thanks for the suggestion, i'll locate the drivers and give that a try!

donzie
24-01-2009, 10:35
thanks for the suggestion, i'll locate the drivers and give that a try!

Hi, I have exactly the same problem as this. Can someone please tell me how I change the wireless router channels and how to locate the wireless drivers and what to do when I've found that? At the moment I cannot get online at all with my Netgear router through Virgin and I've reset the router so will need to link my laptop to it again with the ethernet cable. I'm pulling my hair out with this as paying Virgin for nothing at the moment but they don't want to know if you didn't actually buy the router from them for £40!!!

abbey4
25-01-2009, 23:38
Open the browser.
In Address bar type 192.168.1.1
For the username and password , try admin and password,
it works on the non virginmedia netgear wireless router,provided you have not changed the password on the configuration earlier.
At the top left hand click on Wireless settings (under setup)
Change the channel from there.
Click Apply and reboot the router after the settings are updated.

xero01uk
26-01-2009, 15:15
i had this issue as well with my WRG router, but thankfully i got my 50mb router this morning