PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Limiting to certain servers?

horrorwood
19-01-2009, 02:05
tvcatchup.com are saying that the lag on their site is because virgin media are limiting my connection to them.

When I say it is not STM and that I am receiving the full 20mbit they say its not that, its application/server specific. Even if I was STM'd 5mbit is more than enough. I can be lagging on their site and test elsewhere and receive 20mbit fine.

If you guy's could have a look here (http://forums.tvcatchup.com/showthread.php?t=751&page=17) and look for the posts by "horrorwood" they are by me.

To be honest it seems to me that they don't have a clue, but if anyone here could help me then that would be great.

Edit: forgot to say you'll probably need to sign up to view the forum, but it is free.

---------- Post added at 01:44 ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 ----------

Sigh, they have deleted some of the posts I made on there. I think basically proves it is their end that is the problem.

Still if someone could confirm that what they are claiming is false then that would be great.

---------- Post added at 02:05 ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 ----------

Nevermind they have now banned me from their forums and their site. So bit of a waste of time, I think it was because I am the only guy there that wanted to challenge their claims that it was not the ISP's limiting them. If you want to read the whole story then I've posted what happened here (http://futuremark.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96978).

I'd still like to know for sure that virgin cable are not limiting certain services/servers.

Stabhappy
19-01-2009, 07:45
It may be an issue with routing, Virgin are currently not managing traffic.

broadbandking
19-01-2009, 09:27
Virgin's routing has always been a problem esp to international servers.

horrorwood
19-01-2009, 09:35
Their servers are in LINX.

My point was to the admin that it only happens when certain programs were on, not at certain times.

He reckons he contacted virgin and they said they are limiting traffic to them.

chickendippers
19-01-2009, 09:37
I've never been able to break 200Kb/s to international servers on my VM connection. Even my own servers which I know are capable of transferring to the UK at atleast 5Mb/s.

However that only seems to affect download speeds, browsing has always been fine.

horrorwood
19-01-2009, 12:57
I've never been able to break 200Kb/s to international servers on my VM connection. Even my own servers which I know are capable of transferring to the UK at atleast 5Mb/s.

However that only seems to affect download speeds, browsing has always been fine.

Their server is in london.

Stabhappy
19-01-2009, 13:02
I am currently watching with no issues at all. They've just implemented a new web player - try it out.

horrorwood
19-01-2009, 13:11
I am currently watching with no issues at all. They've just implemented a new web player - try it out.

I can't they have banned me.

Ignitionnet
19-01-2009, 14:36
Their servers are in LINX.

My point was to the admin that it only happens when certain programs were on, not at certain times.

He reckons he contacted virgin and they said they are limiting traffic to them.

The admin is telling porkies. Even if Virgin had limited traffic to them, which they haven't, they are hardly likely to inform him.

More likely it's issues with their capacity. No doubt he's blamed every other ISP when it's his bandwidth that's full.

horrorwood
19-01-2009, 22:06
The admin is telling porkies. Even if Virgin had limited traffic to them, which they haven't, they are hardly likely to inform him.

More likely it's issues with their capacity. No doubt he's blamed every other ISP when it's his bandwidth that's full.

Thank you. I was 99% sure that was the case, I just did not want to think I was going crazy.

The guy even banned me for proving it was not a virgin media problem.. :rolleyes:

webcrawler2050
19-01-2009, 22:49
The server cant be "in Linx" what you mean is they are using Linx routing.

What datacentre is the server in?

This is routing / transit issues.

If you can provide some trace routes, would be helpful.