PDA

View Full Version : V+ Installation

corksta
18-01-2009, 19:46
Hi Guys

I had V+ installed last week which, touch wood, is working perfectly.

My only problem is the way the cable comes in to the house. The installer used the hole that the Sky cable came through. I've seen my friends install and he has a grommet in the wall to cover the hole which I haven't.

Would it be possible for me to use an outlet plate on the wall??? Would this lead to signal loss? Or, would I be better off just putting a grommet over the hole?

All the best.

chickendippers
18-01-2009, 21:21
Sky didn't put a grommet over the hole when they installed in my parent's house, but Virgin Media (at the time C&W) did in our previous house. I wouldn't go faffing around wit the electronics, you can buy grommits from most hardware stores.

Nedkelly
18-01-2009, 22:26
It was the easy option for the installer :D Give VM a call to get someone back .

Jonnymeg
19-01-2009, 19:00
The VM installer should have fitted a proper socket inside your house.
If it is just a black cable through the wall and directly onto the V+ then you should get them back.
The socket houses an isolator which is a safety device and needs to be there.

corksta
19-01-2009, 21:30
Thanks guys, I'll get them back.

sprattgraham
20-01-2009, 02:53
The VM installer should have fitted a proper socket inside your house.
If it is just a black cable through the wall and directly onto the V+ then you should get them back.
The socket houses an isolator which is a safety device and needs to be there.

Not if the Isolator is fitted outside we did have but the tech removed when he fitted a large splitter.
All our cables are plugged into the boxes no white boxes with Isolators inside.
We have had a number of techs and none of them have done anything.

Jonnymeg
20-01-2009, 15:29
Not if the Isolator is fitted outside we did have but the tech removed when he fitted a large splitter.
All our cables are plugged into the boxes no white boxes with Isolators inside.
We have had a number of techs and none of them have done anything.

Isolators are no longer fitted externally. When an isolator is removed from an external box there should be new ones fitted inside.
No installation *should* be left without one.

sprattgraham
20-01-2009, 15:42
Only thing I can think of is if they cause a signal loss, we already have two drop cables with 5 STB + Modem it could cause more loss and cause issues.

Jonnymeg
20-01-2009, 19:06
Only thing I can think of is if they cause a signal loss, we already have two drop cables with 5 STB + Modem it could cause more loss and cause issues.

Isolators cause a loss of 0.4db.
Splitters create a loss of 3.5db for a 2 way split and 6.5 for three way split.

Yours has been left out because either:

It wouldn't fit in the omni box with all the cables and splitters in there.

or

the installer forgot to put it back.

Either way, it is wrong and needs addressing.

corksta
21-01-2009, 12:23
I've done a little bit of investigating. On the outside wall is the grey box with the main feed, this splits of to what I believe is the broadband and the TV. This is via a splitter???, Not sure if that's the correct term.

The broadband runs up to my office and there is a white ntl box on the wall that my modem connects to.

The cable for the tv comes straight from the grey plastic box on the outside wall directly in to the v+ box. The v+ plus is working fine and the signal levels seem ok. My main concern is without the socket is it likely to cause me problems in the future??? Jonnymeg mentions there should be an isolator as a safety device in the socket, what does this protect against.

Sorry for the questions guys.

Jonnymeg
21-01-2009, 18:25
I've done a little bit of investigating. On the outside wall is the grey box with the main feed, this splits of to what I believe is the broadband and the TV. This is via a splitter???, Not sure if that's the correct term.

The broadband runs up to my office and there is a white ntl box on the wall that my modem connects to.

The cable for the tv comes straight from the grey plastic box on the outside wall directly in to the v+ box. The v+ plus is working fine and the signal levels seem ok. My main concern is without the socket is it likely to cause me problems in the future??? Jonnymeg mentions there should be an isolator as a safety device in the socket, what does this protect against.

Sorry for the questions guys.

Isolators basically but a barrier between you and the network. This barrier prevents the passing of AC current whilst still allowing the passage of RF signals.
If you were to put 240v down the cable from your end then the network and your neighbours would be protected from your stupidity and likewise if your neighbour did the same you would be protected.
Without one you are vulnerable to power surges from whatever source. And the network is vulnerable from you.

corksta
21-01-2009, 18:59
Well I've been on VM. Tried twice and got through to the offshore call centres. After explaining my situation the first person told me that the V+ must be plugged in to a power source for it to work!!!!! The second person told me that the cable coming in to the house is for the V+! I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can get through to a UK call centre.

Jonnymeg
21-01-2009, 20:12
Well I've been on VM. Tried twice and got through to the offshore call centres. After explaining my situation the first person told me that the V+ must be plugged in to a power source for it to work!!!!! The second person told me that the cable coming in to the house is for the V+! I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can get through to a UK call centre.

:rolleyes: offshore heros