PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do?

Wevans2303
18-01-2009, 18:35
Hi,

Our ASDL line where we live is an absolute mess, its really slow (0.5mb maximum speed) and we need to change.

I did a cable availability checker on Virgin's site and they said I can get the XL package, the verify this I entered my phone number and post code on various availabity checking sites and they all said the same thing.

The road I live on appears to be Virgin Media cabled, but my house is some 150 yards from the road (long drive) and thats the straight line distance, so the cable may have to travel a longer distance, now the installation fee is £30 but I doubt they would be able to install the cable from 150 yards down the road am I correct?

Even if they did I would imagine it would cost a lot more than £30 if they are having to dig for the cable and then route it up to my place.

If you could answer my question that would be great.
Thanks.

jellybaby
18-01-2009, 18:48
Your best option is to give them a ring and see what they say. Its going to cost you nothing for a phone call :)

Wevans2303
18-01-2009, 18:50
I will call them after my exam tomorrow and see what they say, I was thinking it may be hard if they have to run a cable 150 yards to the house, then put it underground, install the box and then run it even further through the house.

Also, does anyone know if they have to drill though the walls and stuff?

Thanks.

chickendippers
18-01-2009, 19:03
Also, does anyone know if they have to drill though the walls and stuff?
How else will they get the wire into your house? ;) Installers are equipped with drills etc.

Wevans2303
18-01-2009, 19:11
How else will they get the wire into your house? ;) Installers are equipped with drills etc.

Does it take long?

Persuading my dad may be a troublesome exercise.

The Installer
18-01-2009, 21:10
If you have got a 150 yard drive a long time ....... :erm:

Pog66
19-01-2009, 12:14
it will be a two stage process - cable layers will come first and run the cable to the house. Second stage is the actual installers who will drill through the external wall as close as they can to where you want the Modem installed.

this thread may help http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33644580-maximum-distance-from-vm-green-cab.html

keyholder
19-01-2009, 21:36
Hi,

The road I live on appears to be Virgin Media cabled, but my house is some 150 yards from the road (long drive) and thats the straight line distance, so the cable may have to travel a longer distance, now the installation fee is £30 but I doubt they would be able to install the cable from 150 yards down the road am I correct?

Even if they did I would imagine it would cost a lot more than £30 if they are having to dig for the cable and then route it up to my place.

If you could answer my question that would be great.
Thanks.

ermm yup it would only cost you £30 :D my old house was the same they dug up my drive way and had to dig the local street because of cowboy council workers. and that was back last year when they did, £20 instalation charge :)

but as you say if the black box from the begining of your drive way is there then they will route the whole drive way length. Where as someone said it will be a 2 stage process, now knowing vinda media , I VERY MUCH DOUBT IT :D yes thats the way its surposed to be .. but it wont be. :rolleyes:

so you will have an internal engineer come out to install equipment in ur house all to find out that u havent got a cable running to ur house. :dunce: :D :D :D And then he will ring the maintence crew out who say oh we had no idea so it cant be done today, but maybe tomorrow, if your lucky they will turn up, if not then oh well **** bust, ring Cs up again :D

ya just gotta feel sorry for the other guy whos trying to put all the internal stuff in without no signal. Yet good old them will install it anyhows :) as if the signal is there so fair play to them ;)

If its an old house then suggest to the instalation guy u want the wire going around ur skirting boards not through walls, AS yes they will drill any & every wall going if they must lol.

Good luck. if you do go for virgin keep us posted :D

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

At times like this virgin media should use their common sense and get the engineer to work with a check sheet & disconect the unused lines at the box whilst installing someone elses new service! but Maybe thats to logical for the VM team :D