PDA

View Full Version : 50mb installation 27th.

Daleus
17-01-2009, 14:21
Just ordered 50mb, lady on the phone said I was the first in the area then enquired what OS I was using.

"Linux" didn't cut it, I had to lie and say XP.

Apparntly it comes with software including "TCP optimizer"

Now we all know the history of Telewest's Software and how terrible it is.

50mb users, do they need access to one of your computers? I would have thought it was just a modem swap out.

Unfortunately due to a hectic work schedule I won't be the one who is home :(

Peter_
17-01-2009, 14:39
The TCP Optimiser is not Virgin software and does work but not with Linux link HERE (http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php)

Daleus
17-01-2009, 14:41
Obviously it doesn't work with linux, but she was saying a pc with at least XP was required on installation day, with Vista preferred.

Just what do they need it for?

Noggo
17-01-2009, 14:44
The only members I've seen post saying that they have 50Meg is broadbandking, Goffski and josbits2. May be PMing one of those three and asking?

Daleus
17-01-2009, 14:51
Thanks, I would hate to bother them, but it may not be required.

Just noticed the offer included a "Wireless N Router" and a "USB adapter" so thats what they must want to install on the laptop.

All cleared up, i'll leave them an XP laptop near the current modem.

broadbandking
17-01-2009, 14:59
Normally they dont need to access the PC as the I am sure they have now locked the config page which used to work and they might wanna check the levels via this page but that can be done using firefox as its done via the web, Linux is fine as its TCP is already optimzed, they wont install the router as its posted out by netgear which you should recieve it around 2 weeks after the 50Mb has been installed.

Daleus
17-01-2009, 15:32
Ah thanks.

When we had 1mb installed in 2001 (2002?) they wouldn't go near my Red hat 7 box, Once they registered the MAC via the phone they just left me to it.

Either way, yeah I'll leave them a machine to mess with.

thanks guys.

InfiniteBiscuit
17-01-2009, 15:35
The guy that 'installed' mine only touched the PC once.
And that was to go to www.virginmedia.com/engineer to put his little code in, to say he'd installed it.

He gave me a modem, asked me to plug it in. I did. Then he phoned VM, and that was it. Sorted.

You'll have no problems with your computer being Linux.

Daleus
17-01-2009, 15:42
yeah, infinitebiscuit.

The only problem is that I won't be home and the person who will be has more than once accused me of having a "microwave" in my room upon looking at my desktop computer.

If I have to juggle my work hours and get the day off, I guess it will just have to be done.

BenMcr
17-01-2009, 16:22
The techs can install the modem without testing on the PC if the person that is there doesn't have authority to touch the PC

Pushkar
17-01-2009, 21:58
I wasn't told about a TCP optimiser or anything like that, my installation is on the 24th.

Ignitionnet
17-01-2009, 22:30
The techs can install the modem without testing on the PC if the person that is there doesn't have authority to touch the PC

They seem to like installing modems without testing modems at the moment.

The Installer
17-01-2009, 23:20
The engineer who comes will NOT install ANY software on your computer and no it does not come with a disc or anything like that :erm:

If you don't want them to mess with your machine then just tell the person who is going to be in the house to allow them access to tell the tech to just swap the modem, i'm quite sure he'll be happy to do that or otherwise just leave the machine on and your mobile number on the machine and a note to say if he has any probs to just give you a call :D

All the guy will want to do is whats already been mentioned, go to the VM install page and type in his tech ID thats all, just to confirm the installation was successful.

As i think you've already noted the tech will not have your router, this will arrive 2-4 weeks after your install.

moaningmags
18-01-2009, 00:01
Obviously it doesn't work with linux, but she was saying a pc with at least XP was required on installation day, with Vista preferred.

Just what do they need it for?

They don't need it, they just have to make sure you have the minimum requirements.
I've seen customers sold broadband who have win98, windows ME and/or no ethernet connection.
Win98, ME, and usb connections aren't supported.

So the lady was doing her job making sure you had a comp with at least XP on it.