PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Broadband and Linux?

Del
17-01-2009, 11:12
Hello all,

I live in Forest Gate, East London and I currently have Virgin Broadband size M, using an Ethernet cable, which I am very happy with on my desktop PC.

I have just bought an HP 2133 mini-laptop: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145008 which has an Ethernet socket and built-in Wi-Fi BUT crucially, runs SuSE Linux as an OS (this is how it is manufactured, not my install)

When I try and connect my current Ethernet cable to the HP, I get a green light at the Ethernet socket and I get an IP address but cannot open any webpages?

I would also like to get wireless BB to us with the HP and keep the Ethernet for the PC. If I order the wireless router from VM, will I:
1. be able to keep the Ethernet for the PC
2. be able to use wireless BB for the laptop, bearing in mind the Linux OS

Can Virgin Media Braadband work with Linux or will I have to install Win98 or XP on the laptop tp get it to work?

Or could I use the Virgin Mobile USB dongle?

Many thanks for any advice received!

RubberyDuck
17-01-2009, 11:40
1, Yes
2, Yes
3, Yes and no you don't need to install win98/xp
4, Yes there probably is drivers for the USB Dongle on Linux.

BenMcr
17-01-2009, 11:53
1) Yes
2) Yes, as long as you set up the router on the PC first - this will then allow you to set up the SSID and WPA key - which is all you need to get the netbook online
3) Virgin Broadband will work with Linux (or any other OS) but the CD for the router won't and it will be up to you to make it all work
4) If you already have Wi-Fi built into the netbook, there would be no point - plus Virgin do not supply any Linux drivers for the dongle

Del
17-01-2009, 11:59
Thanks for that!
I must admit, from reading around other sites, I thought I might have dropped a clanger!
On searching around here, I found this thread:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33644312-advice-needed-please-re-wireless-setup.html - I guess this is the advice I need to follow for my machine?

Shame about the Mobile BB though. Could be handy when I'm not at home.

Kymmy
17-01-2009, 12:10
Just remember though that if you ring up VM with a problem Linux will probably stump them and you'll get the usual "Can you plug it into a windows PC" though I must admit that the business support was quite happy to talk about Linux...

Hopefully the other thread will help.....

kpanchev
17-01-2009, 13:27
Hello all,

When I try and connect my current Ethernet cable to the HP, I get a green light at the Ethernet socket and I get an IP address but cannot open any webpages?

Many thanks for any advice received!

Don't forget to restart the modem when you switch between the pc and the laptop.
As for wireless on linux, if your laptop comes with it preinstalled, it already has the drives for the wireless card. All you need to do is find the wireless SSID, set up the security info and off you go.
Remember, network protocols and connections are OS independent!

Peter_
17-01-2009, 21:43
Just remember though that if you ring up VM with a problem Linux will probably stump them and you'll get the usual "Can you plug it into a windows PC" though I must admit that the business support was quite happy to talk about Linux...

Hopefully the other thread will help.....
Linux is unsupported by Virginmedia and all agents will tell you this and most will then not continue with the call.

I am on Ubuntu and have to use my daughters Vista laptop if I have to make the call:D

Pushkar
17-01-2009, 21:59
Linux is unsupported by Virginmedia and all agents will tell you this and most will then not continue with the call.

I am on Ubuntu and have to use my daughters Vista laptop if I have to make the call:D

Thing is, the only time you need to call VM is when there's only those 2 lights and one blinking one to report that service is down, otherwise you know what to do - restart modem, turn pc off, etc.

Peter_
17-01-2009, 22:03
Thing is, the only time you need to call VM is when there's only those 2 lights and one blinking one to report that service is down, otherwise you know what to do - restart modem, turn pc off, etc.
Thats what the grin was for:D:D

Joxer
17-01-2009, 23:21
If you are using linux and have to call tech support you could always lie - as long as you know the equivalent commands they will never know. Muhaahahaaa!

Zhadnost
17-01-2009, 23:27
I must confess that I have done this in the past.

kpanchev
17-01-2009, 23:37
If you are using linux and have to call tech support you could always lie - as long as you know the equivalent commands they will never know. Muhaahahaaa!
If you know the equivalent commands you already know more than the people from tech support, so what's the point of calling them? ;)

RubberyDuck
17-01-2009, 23:42
If you know the equivalent commands you already know more than the people from tech support, so what's the point of calling them? ;)

So very true, lucky for me I haven't been on Virgin for over a year, damn why am I looking to return.

Wish fibre was here in Essex.

kpanchev
17-01-2009, 23:49
I have been with them for the last 7 years, running a linux box directly connected to their modem, never had a single problem, never had to call them, apart from once when they kind of lost or deleted my modem's mac address from their database, which meant I lost connection... But as far as linux is concerned, no probs at all.

Joxer
18-01-2009, 01:29
If you know the equivalent commands you already know more than the people from tech support, so what's the point of calling them?

/me wonders if me knowing more than tech supports leads to a paradox or not, probably not, no vicious circularity, probablty.

That aside, you might want to find out if there is an outage or report one or just find out if you are being traffic managed, or your connection just sucks (Though personally I find removing other peoples ethernet cables from the router works wonders with slow speed issues :) ).