PDA

View Full Version : On 20Meg. But Slow Speeds. Oversubscribed!

love2learn
15-01-2009, 19:17
Hi,

Aside from my incredibly poor experience calling Vindia Media, I have now noticed a pattern in my internet speed issues. As I was off today I have had time to do various speed tests on multiple speed test websites throughout the day.

From 11am - 5:40pm I'm getting 18meg - 19.3meg

After 6 I'm getting 9meg - 13.4meg

I'm not being traffic managed, and I have downloaded and uploaded less than 1 Gig. To me that is direct proof that Virgin Media are over subscribing as during the peak hours, their network can't cope.

Anyone else having similar issues?

caph
15-01-2009, 19:21
I've replied to you in your other thread. By the way those are fantastic speeds compared to some overutilised areas.

ultimate
15-01-2009, 19:57
Mine is the same. but from 6pm to 10pm, I am lucky to get anything over 5mbits.

Joxer
15-01-2009, 20:17
If you are only getting 5mbps it would look like traffic management rather than oversubscription.

Ignitionnet
15-01-2009, 21:00
To answer your original question, yes I am seeing similar issues and have for the past 4 months :p:

Bits of test results removed to save space:

Download #1
------------------------------------------------------------------
Throughput : 874.0 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]
= 0.87 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
= 6.99 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]

Download #2
Throughput : 995.0 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]
= 1.0 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
= 7.96 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]

Download #3
Throughput : 1149.0 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]
= 1.15 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
= 9.19 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]

Download #4
Throughput : 863.0 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]
= 0.86 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
= 6.9 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]

adamprocter
15-01-2009, 21:17
wow I wish I had 9-13meg

I am on 20meg connection and have had problems since mid Oct 2008.
After weeks of calls and visits, I finally found out there was an ovr utlisation problem known since March 08.

"We are sorry about the network issue you are experiencing and we do sincerely apologise for inconvenience this is causing you.
We do have a relief date for the issue to be resolved as the 15th January 2009. We do appreciate your patience and hope this is the all the information you required."

Well this evening nothing has changed - average speed of 1.5mb :(
I have had a number of refunds but I dont want refunds I want a fast internet

ultimate
15-01-2009, 21:28
If you are only getting 5mbps it would look like traffic management rather than oversubscription.

I do not use the net enough to cause traffice management, in fact my UBR is oversubscribed, as confirmed by techs.

broadbandking
16-01-2009, 08:29
Its not the network that cant handle it, just the UBR

Jet247
16-01-2009, 11:27
The highest I've managed to clock at anytime of the day is 12mb, and I'm on the 20mb package, can be around 7mb in the middle of the day.

qasdfdsaq
16-01-2009, 11:37
I'm lucky to get 1 meg some days, so yes I do have similar issues.

Noggo
16-01-2009, 12:26
Its not the network that cant handle it, just the UBR

isn't the UBR part of the network?

Re: download speed
With such a vague term as `up to’ used by all ISP’s, it down to you to set a reasonable limit that you’re prepared to accept as satisfactory and complain if it continuously goes below it. First check your PC / home network out to see if it is a problem on VM’s side. Then get in contact with VM tech support and give them a chance to check your modem / connection out. Then if they can't find anything wrong or they do admit to over-subscription to your UBR, get in touch with customer services for a reduction in monthly subs. No point paying full price for a substandard service.

HSp8
16-01-2009, 13:04
anyone know how much it costs to sort out an oversubscribed UBR?

Does it involve digging up the pavement/major hassle or putting in new circuit board-type things

Noggo
16-01-2009, 14:11
anyone know how much it costs to sort out an oversubscribed UBR?

Does it involve digging up the pavement/major hassle or putting in new circuit board-type things

Cost, no idea (How long is a piece of string)

Don't think it involves digging. Apart from the digging around VM need to do to find the coffers to pay for any work that needs to be done.

Resolving the problem could be done a number of ways. There are probably more ways as well, but I don’t know anymore :dunce:

resegmenting the UBR (spreading the connections more evenly across the available cards)
Installing new cards and resegmenting
Installing new hardware (docsis 3) and resegmenting

adamprocter
08-02-2009, 13:32
Well my relief date passed and nothing happen VM admit its over utilisation but have yet to give me another date, my average speed is around 2mb and the fastest I get is about 8mb at 2-3am in the morning.

I am making a formal complaint as they are still installing in my area and offering 20mb as being available, compounding the problem, before it is fixed.

I hear that the 50mb upgrades around the UK will relief most areas by default but who knows when that heading my way.

Can anyone recommend a fast broadband (15mb+), free land line phone calls and freeview/sky tv that's reliable and good value for money?

chickendippers
08-02-2009, 15:05
What's your BT line like? Is it capable of 15Mb?

*sloman*
08-02-2009, 15:11
i did have this problem in Derby, but one morning it was all sorted

http://speed.io/pics/1678/2321/speed.io.png

Ignitionnet
08-02-2009, 15:13
Cost, no idea (How long is a piece of string)

Don't think it involves digging. Apart from the digging around VM need to do to find the coffers to pay for any work that needs to be done.

It can do, depends if the fibre is available or if it needs to be pulled, and if it does if existing ducting is ok or if more needs to be sorted.

resegmenting the UBR (spreading the connections more evenly across the available cards)

Doesn't happen, and uBRs / CMTS are not themselves resegmented/split. Cards are installed when they are needed, and nodes are generally not separated and then recombined to balance load across CMTS cards on a CMTS. What does however happen is where a card is an MC28U and has 2 downstreams and only 1 is being used, an area can have the second downstream pushed to it as well.

CMTS / uBR is not the thing being resegmented it goes a bit closer to homes than that. It's tricky to explain but a google of MAC Domain DOCSIS will do it better than I could.

You will generally not have areas getting rejigged to rebalance nodes across cards, if this happens someone has majorly screwed up the planning and needs a slap as it just results in a node split later on. If a MAC domain is overloaded either an additional downstream is supplied or the MAC domain is reduced in terms of number of homes passed and hence modems active through....

Installing new cards and resegmenting

Yep installation of new cards and node split to one of those if the CMTS isn't full, or node split to a different CMTS if it has a card which has space.

Installing new hardware (docsis 3) and resegmenting

Kinda - the 50Mbit DOCSIS 3 deployment and overlay does not involve resegmentation. It sits on top of the existing network and is actually quite a bit less segmented than the existing one.

The new hardware being installed, which happens to also be DOCSIS 3 compatible, would have had to go in for capacity relief anyway. The old CMTS / uBR is being phased out and as nodes are split they're moved onto the 10k / BSR in the area. There were Cisco 10ks, the 'DOCSIS 3' CMTS for quite some time before 50Mbit was deployed.

The Cisco uBR7246VXR which VM have been using is end of life and has been replaced by the 10k, so all new CMTS are potentially DOCSIS 3 compatible. There should be none of the old uBRs being deployed on the network now and eventually the VXRs will be retired. Which is nice.

adamprocter
08-02-2009, 22:06
dont know have VM phone at the moment too :(

broadbandking
08-02-2009, 22:13
dont know have VM phone at the moment too :(

Check here www.samknows.com and that should give you some idea mate or pm your post code and I would have a look for you