PDA

View Full Version : Belkin N1 router probs with virgin

Jimbo76
12-01-2009, 14:15
Hi there,

I have a Belkin N1 router and also I have a scinetific atlanta WebSTAR EPC2100R2 modem... to be honest it looks like something from the stoneage.

I have already had one belkin N1 replaced by Belkin and now have the version 3000 one, the internet will randomly drop out and the light will flash orange.

I have also changed my computer in the meantime so I have another ethernet adaptor.

My questions are;

Does changing my pc effect the mac address, the ethernet adaptor on my pc is logged in the routers mac address section.

could there be a problem with the modem when connected up to the router, modem seems to work ok when not connected to the router?

Any help or advice would be appreciated, telephoned virgin and some lady gave me some dns setting and said that I had NTL when should be virgin telewest?? needless to say that made the internet light flash even more.

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

bumpy bump

Raistlin
12-01-2009, 14:19
1. :welcome:

2. Not an 'Installation' issue as such so I've moved it to a more appropriate area of the Forum.

3. There's really no need to bump a one minute old thread, people will reply with advice as/when they are able.

Jimbo76
12-01-2009, 14:40
ok thanks, did post on another op's thread last night as he had similar probs..... I will wait for someone to help :angel:

Stabhappy
12-01-2009, 14:47
Does it ever drop when there's no network traffic? Only when torrenting?

Jimbo76
12-01-2009, 15:12
it can drop when my daughter is connected to it wirelessly and when doing torrents, I have done port forwarding and disabled upnp through the torrent software and router.

I have tried various known good wireless channels to no avail

I have also updated to most recent firmware, if not resolved I will have to return the router to the retailer as not sending it back for another replacement.

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

Forgot to mention that the router will also say it is connected wirelessly when all other computers are off? this was happening on the last Belkin N1 I sent back

Jimbo76
12-01-2009, 22:40
Any other advice on this, does anyone have a Belkin N1 that works perfectly fine with virgin?

Axegrinder
13-01-2009, 00:01
Belkins can be very glitchy at times.. sometimes... do any lights go out on the modem?

When you add a router, Virgin will send you a new IP address as the default MAC address has been changed.

Jimbo76
13-01-2009, 00:07
to be honest I dont belive the virgin modem to be the problem, I think it is the Belkin and the firmware. they sent me a replacement and did not even send me the latest version.

I think it is best that this goes back to pc world for an exchange for something better, just need to decided what N router to get that will work better then this

artes
13-01-2009, 08:55
Had a belkin n in use for about 2 weeks & it has lost connection twice. Had a cheap sweetex fot 2 years & it never lost connection once. Only problem was the range.

tweetiepooh
13-01-2009, 10:34
I've had a pre-N Belkin for years with no issues once it's up. It does take several power cycles from cold to get wireless up though.

If torrenting make sure that you limit the sessions it can use.

Jimbo76
13-01-2009, 11:33
how do you limit the sessions, using vuze if that helps

*sloman*
13-01-2009, 12:36
Any other advice on this, does anyone have a Belkin N1 that works perfectly fine with virgin?

I have an Belkin N1 on Xl works fine. Mine is UK ver 1000

Go to belkin's site there are always firmware upgrades for ths router also beta firmware.

I've had mine over 2yrs now and it is on 24/7 and has only crashed maybe 2-3 times but a simple unplug and plug back in solves the problem.

PS is this a N1 Vision?

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

Also on your DNS issue use OpenDNS is fantastic and I recommend it to everyone.

Jimbo76
13-01-2009, 13:18
I have the N1 F5D8231-4 version 3000, I did have the version 1000 and that was sent back for replacement.

I have the latest firmware installed which is the Beta, I am still not convinced by this router.... I think it is just pot luck if you get a faultless router from belkin.

Axegrinder
13-01-2009, 16:54
True, you will be better off with a Linksys or a Netgear ;)

Jimbo76
13-01-2009, 21:14
Managed to sort this out once and for all, took the Belkin back and exchanged for a netgear.... needless to say there is no probs with this and no drop outs or incorrect flashing lights etc etc.

I would never buy a Belkin again and feel they have problems with sorting out firmware to resolve the issues that I had and also lots of other people, you live and learn