PDA

View Full Version : 2MB BB Upgrading to 4MB?

CPDawson
11-01-2009, 11:35
Does anyone know if Virgin would be upgrading the 2MB BB package like they did with the 4MB service anytime in the near future?

Ignitionnet
11-01-2009, 11:40
I think you've a pleasant surprise 'coming soon'. :)

dannybear
11-01-2009, 11:40
Most probs not. They did not say anything about the 2mb line being pushed up. When they pushed the 4mb people to 10m.

The way VM sees it, its only for light users like Emails, Webbing etc.

I was on the 20mb line. I got sick to death with the capping speed. I went down to the 2mb line.

In the next few mths I will be going with O2. At least they got people talks and understand the problems.

xocemp
11-01-2009, 11:52
Broadbandings seems to have some inside info.
I just go on common sense and what my friend tells me.

Common sense tells me that since 4 was upgraded to 10 its very unlikely that 2 will be upgraded to 4. If Broadbandings is right, and I can see how this would work since ADSL is 'upto' 8 meg. Then VM will have 10, 20 & 50 meg, can you confirm Broadbandings?

Welshchris
11-01-2009, 13:44
i was under the impression 2 mb was going to 5mb and not 4 mb, think i read it on here sometime last year.

Halcyon
11-01-2009, 14:05
They need to upgrade us 2mb soon as 2mb is really poor for a broadband speed and most other providers now offer a starting package of more than 2mb.

dannybear
11-01-2009, 14:38
i was under the impression 2 mb was going to 5mb and not 4 mb, think i read it on here sometime last year.

I also read this some where as well. I cant seem to remember.

I did read they might do like 5, 10 and 50mb.

moaningmags
11-01-2009, 16:37
I think you've a pleasant surprise 'coming soon'. :)

Is that the same 'coming soon' in the same way the @virginmedia.com email addresses were meant to be coming soon?

dannybear
11-01-2009, 17:24
Is that the same 'coming soon' in the same way the @virginmedia.com email addresses were meant to be coming soon?

Still waiting for mine, which never happened.

broadbandking
11-01-2009, 17:29
I have heard Neil Berkett wants to have the entry level BB better than standard ADSL speeds which mean upgrading it to 5Mb makes sense

Matth
11-01-2009, 17:48
It won't be concern for BB:M users that drives it if it does happen, it will be concern as to how their basic plays out versus ADSL basic, and I hope they choose Sky or Talktalk as the speed/capacity benchmark, rather than the lightweight option from BT

If they propose an increase in speed and a cut in quota, it will be 300k vs 1M all over again.

moaningmags
11-01-2009, 17:56
Still waiting for mine, which never happened.

That's just it, it hasn't happened for anyone yet, despite being told it's 'coming soon'.
So perhaps Broadbandings means the same thing 'coming soon' being sometime in the next 5 years?

General Maximus
11-01-2009, 18:39
excellent, lets upgrade 71% of VMs customer base on an already over subscribed network and just permanently stm everybody :)

dannybear
11-01-2009, 23:16
That's just it, it hasn't happened for anyone yet, despite being told it's 'coming soon'.
So perhaps Broadbandings means the same thing 'coming soon' being sometime in the next 5 years?

I say give it 20 years. When they do get there fingers out of there backside.

broadbandking
11-01-2009, 23:30
I say give it 20 years. When they do get there fingers out of there backside.

Negative arent we? :D

You will find the 2Mb people will be upgrade once the 10Mb and 20Mb have gone to the DOCSIS 3.0 network which means they the upgraded speed will just have the DOCSIS 1.0 network which will have a lot more capicity with 10Mb and 20Mb running off DOCSIS 3.0 well DOCSIS 2.0 really

dannybear
11-01-2009, 23:45
Well they got the money and the power to do it.

Instend they go to make speeds worse, speed caps etc ? Why do that when you know that your network can offer more ?

Only takes a little bit of time and effort. Am sure they cant be that lazy ?

Na am not negative, I just say as it is :)

You will find the 2Mb people will be upgrade once the 10Mb and 20Mb have gone to the DOCSIS 3.0 network which means they the upgraded speed will just have the DOCSIS 1.0 network which will have a lot more capicity with 10Mb and 20Mb running off DOCSIS 3.0 well DOCSIS 2.0 really

Even if they do the 2 mb to 10mb etc. I still bet they would have the speed caps in even tho all M, L and XL all run on different DOCSIS.

Say that "L" did go 20mb. The price would have to change a lot to beat other ISPs. Yes I know that some ISP only go "Up to 8 meg". However with the new ( well oldish now ) ADSL2+ and Be Internet (o2) doing trials at 50mb as well.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/609369/be-broadband-trials-non-cable-50mb-connections

So let the price and customer services wars start.

Horace
12-01-2009, 00:16
You have 3 options.

1. Switch to an ADSL provider
2. Pay the extra £7 a month like everyone else wants a usable Internet service.
3. Stay on the lowest tier and keep complaining about the speeds of a package that you've chosen to subscribe to.

demented
12-01-2009, 00:41
Broadbandings seems to have some inside info.
I just go on common sense and what my friend tells me.

Common sense tells me that since 4 was upgraded to 10 its very unlikely that 2 will be upgraded to 4. If Broadbandings is right, and I can see how this would work since ADSL is 'upto' 8 meg. Then VM will have 10, 20 & 50 meg, can you confirm Broadbandings?

Broadbandings isn't making it up and it's not inside information. It was announced as an off the cuff remark towards the end of last year and got little attention as people were in such a lather about 50Meg, Sky Basics coming back and new HD channels. I'll try and dig out the quote but it was refering to 2009. It will probably be exactly as broadbandking said. It won't be to 10Meg though, just some undefined speed to be "competitive" with ADSL.

dannybear
12-01-2009, 02:44
You have 3 options.

1. Switch to an ADSL provider
2. Pay the extra £7 a month like everyone else wants a usable Internet service.
3. Stay on the lowest tier and keep complaining about the speeds of a package that you've chosen to subscribe to.

!) Already with an BT line
2) Some other ISP are cheaper, Yes lower speeds but no cap or limit of use in the day.

3) Am not saying that i was the lowest tier, and the package I chosen on to be. I was 20mb tier and after all the services and rubbish " coming soon ", poor speeds ya think am happy?

Ask the rest of the people who are having problems.

Plus am off from VM soon any ways, last mth with them.

Yes the 2mb line is 17 pounds at the moment. However the 20mb line is at £29 a mth with a small upload. While yet, 02 offer it at £22.02 ( to its non o2 customers) plus with 2.5mb upload ?

Mean while the 50mb line cant even do that ? Ya do the maths. I rather go where the customer services is better for your money in which you are not caped in the day or at peek times.

winny1977
12-01-2009, 03:57
no it was 2 10 and 20 but now the 50 has come out but its about the same £50 a month as the speed.Bit expensive :>)

---------- Post added at 03:54 ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 ----------

But ive also heard that virgin have got it up to 80 mb and it may be out next year

---------- Post added at 03:57 ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 ----------

And finally ive tried them all and there wasn't a massive difference don't think we get what we are supposed to sure they cap it when downloading ect.Someone should check all the providers out and stick up for the customers.Also going to try the 50 i will post letting you know what i think of it.

Maggy
12-01-2009, 07:38
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33641708-2mb-increasing-to-10mb-after-xmas.html

Was where I heard this rumour/story/legend first.;)

Oh and I think the 50MB and Docis thingy has to happen first?

I'll just bimble along on 2MB in the meantime.

Ignitionnet
12-01-2009, 09:49
I'm staying schtum, wouldn't want to ruin the surprise :)

moiraf100
12-01-2009, 10:18
#21. I haven't read the whole thread you referred to, but I think that was something to do with the 'free' offer they had on the 12 days of christmas, where M receivers were upgraded for a month to L.

hedgie
12-01-2009, 11:26
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33641708-2mb-increasing-to-10mb-after-xmas.html

Was where I heard this rumour/story/legend first.;)

Oh and I think the 50MB and Docis thingy has to happen first?

I'll just bimble along on 2MB in the meantime.

It would make sense to ensure the baseline cable offering was better than ADSL, although it would be a massive own goal to promise, or provide, an upgrade and then compromise the experience through network delays, throttling or whatever.

My OPINION is that an upgrade needs to happen, and probably will happen. I also am happy to wait for it to be implemented properly. Given that I have moved from 14.4K, through 33 and 56k dial up to a very reliable and consistent 2Mb service things are not too bad at the moment....:)

Maggy
12-01-2009, 15:36
#21. I haven't read the whole thread you referred to, but I think that was something to do with the 'free' offer they had on the 12 days of christmas, where M receivers were upgraded for a month to L.

It wasn't.;)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34679568-post22.html

demented
12-01-2009, 15:49
It wasn't.;)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34679568-post22.html

The only thing incorrect with that post is that it won't be to 4Mbs. It was said to be some undefined speed to "compete" with ADSL.

Maggy
12-01-2009, 15:57
The only thing incorrect with that post is that it won't be to 4Mbs. It was said to be some undefined speed to "compete" with ADSL.

We'll see..as it is I do regularly get 2MB except if I trigger STM (and that is easily avoided) or the site I'm downloadiing from has it's own bandwith limits....;)

demented
12-01-2009, 16:10
We'll see..as it is I do regularly get 2MB except if I trigger STM (and that is easily avoided) or the site I'm downloadiing from has it's own bandwith limits....;)

2Mbs if they do upgrade it would be the only system on DOCSIS 1. As 10Mbs is getting moved across too. So it's not like there might not be capacity there ;).

General Maximus
12-01-2009, 16:43
I am sorry but 2mbit is 2mbit for a reason (for people who dont do anything). They shouldn't be upgrading 71% of their customer base to 4mbit (or anything else) when they cannot support the speeds. They keep moaning about us 20mbit users and how much we download and we are only account for 9% of customers. I know we are going onto the docsis 3 platform but giving a couple of million people another 2mbit each far outweighs the 9% of us on 20mbit atm and we know they can't even support us properly so how do they think they are going to manage over 2 million people on 4 mbit?

broadbandking
12-01-2009, 17:01
The reason the DOCSIS 1.0 network can't handle it is due to they currently have all tiers apart from 50Mb chewing all the bandwidth, with 10Mb and 20Mb going to be on DOCSIS 2.0 the releif on the network will be massive which would enable VM to upgrade the speeds

Turkey Machine
12-01-2009, 17:08
The reason the DOCSIS 1.0 network can't handle it is due to they currently have all tiers apart from 50Mb chewing all the bandwidth, with 10Mb and 20Mb going to be on DOCSIS 2.0 the releif on the network will be massive which would enable VM to upgrade the speeds

Still waiting for it. All my modem says is "We registered with a DOCSIS 1.0 config file." I'd have thought it'd be trivial to upgrade that to 1.1.

Ignitionnet
12-01-2009, 17:57
At the moment the 20Mbit has been moved to DOCSIS 1.1 with 10 to follow. No DOCSIS 2 at the moment just 1.1 and 3 on the new kit.

Maggy
12-01-2009, 18:30
I am sorry but 2mbit is 2mbit for a reason (for people who dont do anything). They shouldn't be upgrading 71% of their customer base to 4mbit (or anything else) when they cannot support the speeds. They keep moaning about us 20mbit users and how much we download and we are only account for 9% of customers. I know we are going onto the docsis 3 platform but giving a couple of million people another 2mbit each far outweighs the 9% of us on 20mbit atm and we know they can't even support us properly so how do they think they are going to manage over 2 million people on 4 mbit?

Actually that's not true.I'm on 2Mb because that's all I can afford.If I had the money to spare I'd have as high as I could get. ;)

General Maximus
12-01-2009, 20:36

I know, my point is that atm Virgin claim that us mesely 9% of customers are killing the network which is their justification for stm etc so even if you made the 50, 20 and 10mbit users magically disappear, giving an extra 2mbit to 71% (2 million people) of your customer base is more than all the 10s, 20s and 50s put together so if docsis 1 can't hack the few 10s and 20s now how is it going to handle the millions of 4s? It is an equation that doesnt balance. It is like saying I am £10,000 in debt so I am going to borrow £100,000 to get myself out of debt? :rolleyes: I am just putting myself in a worse situation.

haydnwalker
12-01-2009, 22:24
I'm also on 2mb but only because its what I can afford - I'm in the process of moving to Sky for Tv/Phone/BB but only because they will give me a better deal. I'd love to stay with VM as I've had nothing but good consistent 2mb speeds. But now I'm doing a bit more downloading of games etc and Xbox Live and playing Americas Army I need the extra speed and no STM (as up to now it hasn't bothered me one bit).

ginge51
13-01-2009, 14:28
What a joke it is.
When i was on 4mb, i did get the upgrade to ten mb, but when my contract ran out, i had to pay for whjat they were asking for 10mb, which is 25 pund per week, so hardly a free upgrade.
Henchmen they are at vm.

Ignitionnet
13-01-2009, 16:36
I know, my point is that atm Virgin claim that us mesely 9% of customers are killing the network which is their justification for stm etc so even if you made the 50, 20 and 10mbit users magically disappear, giving an extra 2mbit to 71% (2 million people) of your customer base is more than all the 10s, 20s and 50s put together so if docsis 1 can't hack the few 10s and 20s now how is it going to handle the millions of 4s? It is an equation that doesnt balance. It is like saying I am £10,000 in debt so I am going to borrow £100,000 to get myself out of debt? :rolleyes: I am just putting myself in a worse situation.

Easy - most of the people who are presently on 2Mbit don't use much bandwidth at all so upgrading them won't dramatically increase their usage for most of them, they'll just check their email and do their shopping faster.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

What a joke it is.
When i was on 4mb, i did get the upgrade to ten mb, but when my contract ran out, i had to pay for whjat they were asking for 10mb, which is 25 pund per week, so hardly a free upgrade.
Henchmen they are at vm.

You were on a discount, that's the asking price so very much a free upgrade.

I see you're very happy with that £25/month being reduced to £18/month, mercenary ;)

hokkers999
14-01-2009, 02:10
Does anyone know if Virgin would be upgrading the 2MB BB package like they did with the 4MB service anytime in the near future?

Noooo, hope not. My 2 meg is rock solid stable and just works. don't go messing with it :)

---------- Post added at 02:10 ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 ----------

excellent, lets upgrade 71% of VMs customer base on an already over subscribed network and just permanently stm everybody :)

Except that according to VM us 2 meggers only use a small percentage of the bandwidth. It;s the 20 meggers and their mega downloads that are killing the network :p:

broadbandking
14-01-2009, 08:29
Its the lack of money thats killing Virgins network in some areas anyways

skatzz
14-01-2009, 19:35
Reading on another forum, looks like cs are now saying 2mb is being upgraded to 10mb on the 1st of Feb :D

Happy if true :D

TheNorm
14-01-2009, 19:41
... 2mb is being upgraded to 10mb on the 1st of Feb ..

Are you sure that wasn't 1st of April? :D

General Maximus
14-01-2009, 21:15
so what is happening to the current 10mb'ers? If they are upgrading the 2's to 10's and the 10's to whatever, i think they should upgrade us 20's to 50's. They had better not do it before the 50mbit rollout is completed otherwise we will all be royally screwed as we will all be stuck on docsis 1.

Matth
14-01-2009, 23:41
2 to 10 with the same limits as 2 currently has, would let them play the same numbers games as many of the ADSLs do, possibly to retain differentiation, the 4-10 upgraded would need to be on higher quotas than they currently are.

10Mb basic would actually make more sense in the cable/ADSL war than anything inbetween.

hokkers999
15-01-2009, 00:28
2 to 10 with the same limits as 2 currently has, would let them play the same numbers games as many of the ADSLs do, possibly to retain differentiation, the 4-10 upgraded would need to be on higher quotas than they currently are.

10Mb basic would actually make more sense in the cable/ADSL war than anything inbetween.

If that is true, then they will have to change the upstream from 200 kbits, personally I'd like them to just leave it alone. It works. :)

Turkey Machine
15-01-2009, 00:54
Leave the upstream at 200Kbits while your download is 10Mbit? You're having a laugh, right?

Upstream should (in an ideal world) be a minimum 1:10 to the download, but VM just don't seem to get that. They're touting 50Mbit already with big Samuel L as the fastest ever, yet their upload is laughable at that as there are ADSL companies offering a much faster upload speed than them and by the sounds of things a more reliable service too.

</rant>

If they'd sort my poxy exchange out, I wouldn't have to rant. ;)

hokkers999
15-01-2009, 00:57
Leave the upstream at 200Kbits while your download is 10Mbit? You're having a laugh, right?

Upstream should (in an ideal world) be a minimum 1:10 to the download, but VM just don't seem to get that. They're touting 50Mbit already with big Samuel L as the fastest ever, yet their upload is laughable at that as there are ADSL companies offering a much faster upload speed than them and by the sounds of things a more reliable service too.

</rant>

If they'd sort my poxy exchange out, I wouldn't have to rant. ;)

Ooops, punctuation in the wrong place :dozey:. I meant leave the entire 2 meg service as it is.

Stabhappy
15-01-2009, 01:36
By 'limits', I think he means stm download limits.

tomtank62
15-01-2009, 13:10
Reading on another forum, looks like cs are now saying 2mb is being upgraded to 10mb on the 1st of Feb :D

If VM wish to upgrade the 2mb service I would be happy if it just went to 4mb

broadbandking
15-01-2009, 13:41
Its not going to be that soon and it wont be 4Mb

General Maximus
15-01-2009, 18:12
there is just no way they can justify doing it with the current state the network is in. They have got to wait till all the 20mbit dudes are over on the docsis 3 platform so they can free up the 95% of the bandwidth we supposedly use on docsis1

browney
15-01-2009, 20:59
Someone posted this on another forum NOT ME!

My boss has jsut got off the phone from VM and they tell him that as of feb 1st they will be upgrading all 2mb connections to 10mb. 10mb will be the lowest package they will do. Apparently they will make that the M pack, 20Mb will be L Pack and 50Mb will be moved to XL. A bit strange them going through all the trouble to promote it as XXL tho?

hokkers999
15-01-2009, 21:01
Someone posted this on another forum NOT ME!

If that is true, then I point blank refuse to pay any more money for it as I never asked for an increase. That's going to leave an awful lot of 10 meggers *very* unhappy unless they get a *reduction* in price :D

browney
15-01-2009, 21:09
If that is true, then I point blank refuse to pay any more money for it as I never asked for an increase. That's going to leave an awful lot of 10 meggers *very* unhappy unless they get a *reduction* in price :D

Myself included I was on 3 for 30 (2Mb) but I have to pay extra for 10Mb and now 2Mb people will get it at no extra cost :S

broadbandking
15-01-2009, 22:17
They will reduce the cost of 10Mb as they by law couldnt make all 2meggers pay more if they havent requested it, its true the 3 tiers are going to be 10Mb 20Mb and 50Mb

Joxer
15-01-2009, 22:24
Getting rid of the 2mb service is nuts if you ask me - reduce the price or make it free as part of a package - yes but get rid of it? No.

broadbandking
15-01-2009, 22:28
nah because now the entry level bb is better than adsl

hokkers999
15-01-2009, 22:51
They will reduce the cost of 10Mb as they by law couldnt make all 2meggers pay more if they havent requested it, its true the 3 tiers are going to be 10Mb 20Mb and 50Mb

But how can they afford to do that when they have given all the whingers these huge discounts :p:

Peter_
15-01-2009, 22:58
But how can they afford to do that when they have given all the whingers these huge discounts :p:
To pay for it all they will do is move all the call centres to India as that would save them a bundle, does not matter what we the paying customer thinks, as money talks and if they can get a better deal by having all calls dealt with outside the UK then thats what they will do.

Ignitionnet
15-01-2009, 23:00
Who has popcorn?

Joxer
15-01-2009, 23:02
I have pretzels. Any good?

Not a replacement for sweet popcorn, but a possible substitute for the salty kind.

Ignitionnet
15-01-2009, 23:03
I have pretzels. Any good?

Not a replacement for sweet popcorn, but a possible substitute for the salty kind.

Works for me, cheers.

In the interim this is interesting, and it'll be fascinating to see how much information, both official and unofficial, comes out.

Peter_
15-01-2009, 23:03
Who has popcorn?
Not me as I am just waiting for more of your Avatar to to take over the support lines:p:

Turkey Machine
15-01-2009, 23:22
OK, if this migration of speeds is true, then what'll happen to those of us on 10Mbit and who want to STAY on 10Mbit as opposed to getting the free "upgrade" (I use that term VERY loosely since the download speed doubles, but the upload speed is pitiful)?

BenMcr
15-01-2009, 23:40
Who can say (and those that knows probably can't)

This is why speculation without any information just gets people wound up ;)

hokkers999
15-01-2009, 23:54

Yep, but you can just see it happening though can't you :dozey:

broadbandking
16-01-2009, 08:27

Which part of the info are you refering too

hedgie
16-01-2009, 09:54

Lets assume this is going to happen:). I have one of the blue NTL 250 modems, will the hardware support 10Mb?

General Maximus
16-01-2009, 10:02
definitely, the 250s will support 20mbit. Many years ago i started off with a Terayon TJ210 which handled 10mbit nicely and when they upgraded us to 20mbit i still never got above 10mbit. I never in a million years thought it would be the modem that was the problem but i checked on the VM website and it said that they recommended it be swapped over so i filled out a form and they post me a new one (the ambit 250) and as soon as i plugged it in it was whooooooosh...........20mbit all the way.

Ignitionnet
16-01-2009, 10:35
Everything above 200s will definitely support 10Mbit, I think that 120s might as well :)

march.brown
16-01-2009, 11:21
Why can't we keep the 2mbit download but significantly increase the upload speed ... I want to send high quality digital photos quickly ... Downloading is no problem at 2mbit though 5mbit would be great if it was offered for the same price ...

RubberyDuck
16-01-2009, 11:43
To pay for it all they will do is move all the call centres to India as that would save them a bundle, does not matter what we the paying customer thinks, as money talks and if they can get a better deal by having all calls dealt with outside the UK then thats what they will do.

Money does talk upto a point. When and if people start leaving VM then believe me this will talk more than money as they will have none.

Anyway this won't happen as everyone knows we are like sheep, just doing what they want us to do.

Assuming the 10, 20 and 50 (M, L, XL) is going to be the new tiers, I wonder what price changes will occur, if any. I'm hoping they reduce the 50Mbit as I want this, though it's not available yet in my area.

duongnt
21-01-2009, 16:32
i am still with ADSL and it will be a long way until i get more than 20mbps :(

sheridan
22-01-2009, 18:25
so to recap , is the 2 mb going to be upped soon ????

General Maximus
22-01-2009, 19:17
a couple of people mentioned April but i cant see it happening until they have rolled out 50mbit fully (which is going to be about that time) and migrated all the 20mbit users to docsis 3.