PDA

View Full Version : Bad response times since christmas.

Tommy The Cat
10-01-2009, 16:30
As the title says I've been having bad response times since christmas. Not speeds, just response times. I can download & upload at my usual speeds but if I'm downloading over 500kB/s or uploading over 40kB/s I can barely load any websites. I'm not in any of the list areas on their status page that have problems and I've tried talking to someone at customer support about it, but get nothing but the usual "Restart everything" or "uninstall *insert program here*".

I've been using cfossspeed since november of last year, so I know it isn't the problem. It's been a huge help actually. All my internet related settings haven't changed since june/july of last year so I'm hoping this is just a problem with VM because we just can't see what could be the problem our end.

We have a Netgear WPN824v2 which we've actually tested at another house to make sure it wasn't hardware related, and we've also tested the motherboards 'n' ethernet cables to no avail. The modem is fairly new as we got it along with our V+ box around april last year and the lights haven't changed at all.

If anyone can think of something we haven't, please post it !!!

Stabhappy
14-01-2009, 01:23
No problem.

xocemp
14-01-2009, 01:41
To better help you, could you post your power levels & SNR from your modems configuration page. You can access it by entering 192.168.100.1 into your address bar.
User name & password is root should you be asked for them.
Could you also post the results of a ping & tracert to the bbc please.
Start>Run>type in cmd and click ok.
Type ping bbc.co.uk
Once thats finished
Type tracert bbc.co.uk

Thanks

If you'd have provided these in your first post, others may have been more inclined to help

Joxer
14-01-2009, 03:02
OK read this several times and still can't work out what the issue is.

I can barely load any websites.
So they do load? I can't imagine they are loading slowly (which is what this would usually mean) because Not speeds, just response times.
So what do you mean by response times? Are you pings high? if so how high? Post some pings or traces.
I've been using cfossspeed since november of last year, so I know it isn't the problem.
Half of the exhaust fell off my car yesterday but I know it wasn't a problem with the exhaust because I have been using it for months without it falling off. Make sense? Just because something has previously been working does not mean it is now or will continue to do so.

You could try reading this: www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html In fact most people could do with reading that, so don't take it personally.

LaineY
14-01-2009, 03:23
Pleasant chap that tbh.

There are plenty people on this forum who are willing to help you.

This is not a Virgin Media Owned Forum, it is people who take time out of their own lifes to help the likes of yourself.

I couldn't aggree with Joxer more. Thats a fantastic link that a good few people should read over.

Catch you when you post your next problem...

General Maximus
14-01-2009, 09:21
I know very little about these things but i would like to bet his problems coincide with his UBR being upgraded to 50mbit as it was around xmas time.

Dr Gerald Hooper
30-01-2009, 04:05
Since Virgin Media absorbed NTL the speed of my Internet Connection has been getting poorer by the day because the equipment used by Virgin Media is being stretched to provide more and more services to more and more customers such that the frequency of accessing my internet connection is dropping in proportion to the spread of customer activity by Virgin Media. This is the Virgin Media Profit Motive in the rush to make more and more money for the company without giving proper consideration to their existing customers. Download speeds are not much affected but connection to the Internet is severely downgraded. There is no point in upgrading to a faster Internet Connection at a higher cost because the frequency of Internet Access will not be improved.

Dr Gerald Hooper
ghphpr@ntlworld.com

Stabhappy
30-01-2009, 04:11
Dr Hooper - perhaps it is in your best interest to contact the virgin media second line tech support via the newsgroups if you haven't already done so in order to establish the exact cause of your issue?

Junglist2k5
30-01-2009, 08:26
I have been with ntl/virgin for a long time and have also stared having similar problems since christmas, so I believe there maybe some issues that have only been introduced recently.