PDA

View Full Version : Freeview and Aerial Distribution Amplifier

downquark1
10-01-2009, 15:31
Hi, quick question that could help solve some mysteries. Do older Aerial Distribution hubs (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29413) work with the freeview signal or does it have to be in the specifications?

edit: To clarify a little. If the main antenna is going in to "In" connector and the freeview box is on one of the outs, does the digital signal get relayed properly?

artes
10-01-2009, 17:40
Have used a wicks amplifier for abot 18 years now on anologue & digital & had no problems, don't know about other makes but if you have got the amp give it a try

downquark1
10-01-2009, 17:43
OK thanks, have a friend with one and they are unable to get freeview. Will have to do some tests.

Kymmy
10-01-2009, 19:29
I use a 4 way masthead amp with a single antenna feeding 4 freeview TVs..

Dai
10-01-2009, 20:18
Surely all that distribution box is doing is to feed the aerial UHF signal through several ports?

I can't see any reason for it NOT to work. The digital stuff comes later, after the signal hits the freeview box.

downquark1
10-01-2009, 20:28
Surely all that distribution box is doing is to feed the aerial UHF signal through several ports?

I can't see any reason for it NOT to work. The digital stuff comes later, after the signal hits the freeview box.

ok, I was wondering if the amplification (presumably designed before digital) some how disrupted the signal or excluded certain frequency ranges.

I had noticed our DVB TV doesn't work (but we have sky so it's not bothered us) and a friend has just rented a house with one and theirs don't work, but they don't have any other digital serves and are concerned about the switch off.

Of course 2 is not enough to say they do cause a problem, hence why I'm asking.

Changed ours, routing the arial directly through the sky box and then through to the TV. Still don't get a signal, so it must be weak in this area.

Kymmy
10-01-2009, 20:41
Distribution/amplifier boxes are always wideband so shouldn't restrict signals...

nodrogd
10-01-2009, 23:52
Don't forget that freeview signals are still at very low power until after switchover. For instance the analogue output from Winter Hill is 500kW, where as digital is only 10kW, so it more likely to be not enough signal from the aerial than a prob with the amp. Also, even weak analogue signals from adjacent transmitters on the same frequency can swamp the digital signals.