PDA

View Full Version : newbie

clumsycat
09-01-2009, 23:06
hi everyone, newbie here... BB speed is a tad slow but not a `techie` person;)

Joxer
09-01-2009, 23:19
When you say a tad slow, how slow? And doing what? have you run any speed tests such as speed.io or any other? You could try posting your signal levels from 192.168.100.1 (in a web browser username and pasword are both root if required). Any other information you feel may be relevant would be helpful (are you using a router? Wired or wireless> etc).

clumsycat
09-01-2009, 23:24
hi, using a wired modem.. download 2037... upload 240, is that bad?

Stabhappy
09-01-2009, 23:42
are you on the 2mb service? If so, that's spot on.

General Maximus
09-01-2009, 23:42
not if you are on Virgins 2mbit package (M), that is bang on

clumsycat
09-01-2009, 23:48
K.. must just be ebay thats a crap site.. would you recommend the larger package?.. dont get me wrong.. i am over the moon with virgin in other ways, never have to call tech support, no disconnections :)

General Maximus
09-01-2009, 23:54
it really depends what you use your connection for. More speed just means you can do more things at the same time. To be honest it shouldn't make browsing any faster, it just means that you can download your mp3s, movies and anything else you want really fast so then you can get onto your next thing or do something else at the same time. The next package up is L which is 10mbit which is 5x faster than what you have got at the moment so you will notice a huge difference. The thing which you have got to ask yourself is how much you use your connection and whether you feel you would benefit from it. It is like saying that you have got a mini at the moment, but if all you do is pop down to your local post office once a week you don't need a Ford Galaxy do you?

xpod
09-01-2009, 23:59
If you mean your pages take a bit of time to load mabey you could try using the Opendns service as it can help speed that side of things up in many cases,regardless of actual download speeds.I know many here use the service,me included,and it does make things that bit snappier for a lot of us.

I`m not really a "techie" person myself if truth be told but it`s easy enough to setup.

http://www.opendns.com/

clumsycat
10-01-2009, 00:03
many thanks for the replies

xpod
10-01-2009, 00:08
Here`s the direct link to setting up Opendns with either your PC or Router if you use one...although i`m sure you`ll have found it yourself:)
https://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/start/