PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Help

sterion75
09-01-2009, 18:59
Hello,
Just signed up to VM with the top package which should be 50mbps when its available.

I've been sent what seems a bit of a crappy modem?
ambit e08c013.00 think this is an ambit 256?

It has a single ethernet port on

I have 2 issues
1) if you plug a switch/hub into it and try to run more than one device then you have a problem as it only seems to dish out a single IP address. you have to copy your PC mac address as alternate to use your xbox 360. Anyway round this? Can I demand a router from them rather than this box? or am i missing something?

2) Is this modem even cable of 50mbps ?

Thanks

Robbie

moaningmags
09-01-2009, 19:04
That modem is not 50meg capable, they won't give you one that is capable until you're on that service. You can connect a cable broadband router to this modem to allow the xbox and computer to connect to the internet at the same time.

sterion75
09-01-2009, 19:06
Can you recommend one a router?

MovedGoalPosts
09-01-2009, 19:19
Unlike ADSL where you can obtain combined modem / routers, cable always requires a separate modem and router. Virgin supply the modem, leaving the customer to their choice of router

There is a netgear router available from Virgin Media, but you may well be better off with your own. If you are at all likely to be using wireless with your 50meg service, you need a "n" standard router as "g" speeds are too close to the 50meg capabilities of your internet. Of course your wireless adaptor to the PC will also need to be "n", albeit that "n" routers should still be able to downgrade to "g" if needed.

"n" isn't fully ratified as a standard yet, so there might be a future compatibility issues. Stick with a main manufacturer like Linkysys, Netgear, D-Link and you probably won't go far wrong. I've only had it a short while but I'm finding the Linksys WRT610N quite nice, albiet that it was a bit pricey, yet the gigabit network ports are useful for shoving data round my lan.