PDA

View Full Version : VM Cable TV - Analogue to Digital Upgrade

DreamOfSpring
05-01-2009, 14:44
My ancient Mum needs switching soon as South Wales is changing this year (VM Area 25). She is still using a Jerrold Impulse. She is on phone and TV only. As I've volunteered to organise this for her, and I live 180 miles away, I'd appreciate a little bit of advice in advance. I'll be booking VM to come mid Feb so that I can be with her when they do the installation.

First, she only has the TV - no VCR or DVD or Freeview. I cannot recall if she has a scart socket on her TV or not. But if it does NOT have a scart socket, can the upgrade go ahead?

Secondly, will they need to run new cables, or can they use the old ones?

Finally, as Mum is registered blind, I'd love to know exactly which remote control she will be getting so that I can source a compatible big button one in advance for her.

Many thanks in advance for any info you can give me.:)

Lin

Was NTL, originally C&W = Bromley??
Postcode - SA13
Current STB - Jerrold Impulse

BenMcr
05-01-2009, 15:12
Everything should be fine as the STBs have an RF (i.e aerial) output.

They will use the existing cables.

As for the remote any Universal Remote will work as the STBs use standard signalling codes

But the remote is this one

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/01/128.jpg

DreamOfSpring
05-01-2009, 15:25
Hiya BenMcr,

Many thanks for the reply.. much appreciated.. especially the bit about the signalling codes being standard.

Ta from Mum as well
Lin

Aragorn
05-01-2009, 15:25
Ben, are you sure about the first statement?

The RF bypass was only an option on the Samsung STB and it no longer works ( as part of the analogue switch off ) - see Spiderplant's (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/101/33640854-analogue-tv-switch-off-schedule.html) post. (third para)

So, as far as I'm aware, Scart WILL be the only option.

Ernie_C
05-01-2009, 15:41
The RF bypass......
My knowledge may be lacking but isn't an RF bypass different from an RF out?

The former allows an analogue signal which is still being transmitted to go through the box and be received by a TV.

The latter transmits the digital channels so they can be received by a TV connected the old-fashioned way.

Aragorn
05-01-2009, 16:25
You're probably right. thinking about it .
So the OP's mother could watch the STB channel via an RF signal but the TV would only see 'one TV station', being the RF channel used by the STB.

Ernie_C
05-01-2009, 19:07
You're probably right. thinking about it .
So the OP's mother could watch the STB channel via an RF signal but the TV would only see 'one TV station', being the RF channel used by the STB.
It is the box she exclusively is connected to - the belief is she has no SCART.

spiderplant
05-01-2009, 21:52
It's definitely not a problem if the TV doesn't have SCART. The RF output will still work after analogue switch-off.

PS1
07-01-2009, 17:41
if this is the case(no scart), check before hand that either the t.v. can be tuned in on the set itself or via the remote, in which case make sure its present, as the output frequency of the digital stb could be different to the analogue one and therefor tv will need retuning:)