PDA

View Full Version : You tube slow speeds

stepp
04-01-2009, 19:15
anyone suffering from slow speeds using you tube? I am trying to watch vids in HD but they take at least 30 mins to buffer one 2 min video!

I have tried a speed test ( im on 10 meg ) and all is fine.

Are virgin starting to throttle You Tube sites now as well as bit torrents and whatever else they decide to make up in the next 24 hours.....

General Maximus
04-01-2009, 19:39
i dont think so dude, it might just be network congestion in your area. I am on 20mbit and have been using torrents and youtube all day no problemo

Joxer
04-01-2009, 19:55
Hmm, youtube taking some time to buffer here, but not that long, too slow to stream properly but not bad. BBC iplayer streaming works ok though.

stepp
04-01-2009, 20:19
I'm in the reading area and quite few of my friends have the same problem. It must be something to do with virgin because as i said i can download from other sites full speed no problems.

Ill ring them up tomorrow and listen to someone patronize me for around 20 Min's, telling me to unplug and reboot PC, unplug router, unplug modem etc etc etc etc.

Ahhh the joys of being a virgin media customer.

Somethings defiantly not right though for you tube to be so slow.

InfiniteBiscuit
04-01-2009, 21:59
YouTube's been pants for me, for ages now. However some videos fly. I think it's a problem more to do with YouTube, than Virgin. There's gotta be a massive demand for YouTube all the time.

dd11
04-01-2009, 22:01
I've always had a problem with Virgin Media and YouTube, i've been on 3 broadband packages, 2mb, then i went 4mb (then it was upgraded to 10mb) and im currently on 20mb and it has been terrible trying to watch videos on it!!

Since the past month its been soo much better! the speeds have gone right up, when i press the watch in HD videos, they load much much faster than the standard compressd usualy youtube quality ones, (SD).

At the mo its just a case of gd and bad days for my area.

Graham M
04-01-2009, 22:13
I would say it was just YouTube's servers getting overloaded surely?

cook1984
04-01-2009, 22:15
VM gets overloaded at peek times (evening) and YouTube stops working properly. It's been like that since day one for me in Portsmouth.

Stabhappy
04-01-2009, 22:38
I get 20mb solid 24/7 and I have similar buffering issues with Youtube.

rashlan
04-01-2009, 23:38
anyone suffering from slow speeds using you tube? I am trying to watch vids in HD but they take at least 30 mins to buffer one 2 min video!

I have tried a speed test ( im on 10 meg ) and all is fine.

Are virgin starting to throttle You Tube sites now as well as bit torrents and whatever else they decide to make up in the next 24 hours.....

I use to have the exact same problem which i had always attributed to YouTube but since moving to sky i haven't had a single buffering problem.

dev
04-01-2009, 23:55
I'm in the reading area and quite few of my friends have the same problem. It must be something to do with virgin because as i said i can download from other sites full speed no problems.

that's some pretty poor logic you got there. Only YouTube is slow so it *must* be the ISP and not YouTube? :confused::confused:

deakin
05-01-2009, 01:58
I too see very slow speeds on some youtube videos, what i've found is that if i get buffering on one vid then click on something else i get full speed from the second video. However going back to the first vid again it's still crawling along. Could it be that it's only one of youtubes servers thats borked ?

Sorry if thats a silly question,i don't really understand tech stuff that well...

D.Casey
05-01-2009, 02:11
I too see very slow speeds on some youtube videos, what i've found is that if i get buffering on one vid then click on something else i get full speed from the second video. However going back to the first vid again it's still crawling along. Could it be that it's only one of youtubes servers thats borked ?

Sorry if thats a silly question,i don't really understand tech stuff that well...

I noticed that too the last few days, I was watching some music vids (all uploaded by the same person) & it kept stoping..starting (buffering).

I tested a few other vids (randoms) & they seemed to be ok as did the speedtest I did.

cook1984
06-01-2009, 18:03
I can confirm that it is a VM problem, as videos that don't stream very well on VM work fine at the exact same time on other ISPs.

It's getting worse as the move to widescreen and higher definition videos occurs. YouTube keeps the original copies of all uploaded videos, so every video is being upgraded over time.

stepp
06-01-2009, 19:48
yep can confirm this now as well, my friend has sky and has had no problems streaming exatctly the same videos at the same time as me, his work with no problems, mine are very very slow at buffering.

Hugh
06-01-2009, 20:18
Why not post a link to the vid that is stuttering/buffering, to let others try and confirm your diagnosis.

stepp
06-01-2009, 20:57
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vHwjBZlLRD0

above normal video and mine buffers like mad, and im on 10 meg

Now click HD, mine takes like half hour to buffer maybe 5 secs of the video then it just stops.

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33624365-you-tube-slow-streaming.html

Seems that it IS virgin meadia fault.

Ill be cancelling tomoz.

Hugh
06-01-2009, 21:00
Yup, same problem here in Leeds on 10Mb.

Plays for 4 or 5 seconds, then buffers for 10-15 seconds, and repeat as above.

demonicdioxide
06-01-2009, 21:15
This has been happening for me for a few days.

Didnt even think it could have been VM, but yeah, the same for me here on 10MB in Bristol - even for very short videos.

Stabhappy
06-01-2009, 21:43
Only some videos. That one is quite bad.

*sloman*
06-01-2009, 21:51
some videos on youtube have different priorities i think.

Try one of the most viewed of all time, loads in seconds.

Then try one with only 1-100 hits it will load slower

dont VM only have a very small bandwidth to the US?

i know people do speedtest.net and only loose about 10%-15% of there connection speed with sky/bt

with vm 20mb i'm lucky to get 4mb to us servers

cook1984
07-01-2009, 20:21
I checked the linked video from work on ADSL (Easynet IIRC) and it was fine.

Jonathan90
07-01-2009, 20:29
Virign 10mb plays fine here the lenny henry vid

dev
07-01-2009, 20:35
Virign 10mb plays fine here the lenny henry vid

buffers perfectly fine here, buffers up a large amount then slows down to buffer as it plays sorta thing

LaineY
07-01-2009, 21:23
Dito iv had the same issue for years...

get the first 3 secs of a video then it buffers for 3-12 seconds..

some videos are instant though but very rarely

20MB Here.. Through a Linksys WRT54GS Router with DDWRT Firmware..

im close to Glasgow and have been for years but last year i spent a year in Edinburgh with the same issue

Hugh
07-01-2009, 21:32
Just removed flash, rebooted, and re-installed flash (10) - the links I tested earlier (which didn't work), working fine now.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vHwjBZlLRD0 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vHwjBZlLRD0)

And it's fine in HD.

I'm on 10Mb, IE7 Vista Ultimate

cook1984
08-01-2009, 23:13
It depends on the time of day. At peek times it's far worse.