PDA

View Full Version : Problems staying connected

sparky621
02-01-2009, 18:43
Hi all,
After a short while of reasonable stability my modem has decided it once again doesn't want to stay connected. Every time I have to go through the full power down/reset procedure we all love so much! Sometimes I've had to repeat it 2 or 3 times before I get a connection.
The modem is a ntl:home 200 and is about 7 years old now.
My levels are:
Downstream Receive Power Level : 25.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 23.4 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 37.0 dBmV

I've also got the fault log hopefully one of you will be able to tell me whats happening?:
Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL :)
Sparky

Graham M
02-01-2009, 18:47
Have you phoned VM yet?

sparky621
02-01-2009, 18:56
Hi Graham
Not phoned yet, thought I would arm myself with any advice from here first. I haven't got a VM phone so Tech Support is chargable and I find it very annoying when I'm read the reset script. I'm an electrical engineer so I don't need some indian call centre to tell me how to do a full power down/restart.
To me the Event Log seems to indicate a big problem but maybe its normal?
My modem is about only about 20 foot from the street cabinet so I know I have some issues with power levels.

Axegrinder
02-01-2009, 18:57
Hi all,
After a short while of reasonable stability my modem has decided it once again doesn't want to stay connected. Every time I have to go through the full power down/reset procedure we all love so much! Sometimes I've had to repeat it 2 or 3 times before I get a connection.
The modem is a ntl:home 200 and is about 7 years old now.
My levels are:
Downstream Receive Power Level : 25.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 23.4 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 37.0 dBmV

I've also got the fault log hopefully one of you will be able to tell me whats happening?:
Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL :)
Sparky

Your downstream power is incredibly high, and your downstream SNR is far too low, you will need a tech for that.

sparky621
02-01-2009, 19:46
Just had to reset again!
I seem to recall reading on here that you can log faults on a news group. Is this an alternative to long phone calls and how do I find the news group?
Haven't used them since my days with Compuserve in the early 90s!

joglynne
02-01-2009, 20:03
Details for setting up VM newsgroups can be found here,http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up.php and you will need virginmedia.support.broadband

General Maximus
02-01-2009, 20:04
You can do it through Outlook Express (your email proggy) and look at this link http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up.php

Alternatively you can use a free prog called Grabit. Regardless or what prog you use the news server address your need is news.virginmedia.com on port 119. This connects you to the news server and you can have a look at all the newsgroups. The tech group you need is virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

The dudes work from 8am - 10pm and they are pretty good with their response times apparently.

sparky621
02-01-2009, 20:09
Thanks for your help. Had to reset again in the meantime!