PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Capping Times ...+ Bandwith

mojo8850
31-12-2008, 19:26
Hi People..

Could someone please give me the exact times when the Traffic Management System kicks in..

I also have a single PC with 1 as admin 2 as user account what is the best way
to give restricted bandwith... to each profile.

moaningmags
31-12-2008, 19:32
If you're on Cable the following link will tell you

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

The following link is for ADSL or National

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management2.php

mojo8850
31-12-2008, 20:04
Thanks for that very understandable..

Now what about the bandwith alocation.. between local profiles.

General Maximus
31-12-2008, 20:12
as far as I am aware you cant allocate bandwidth or even restrict speed to certain profiles. The only thing you can do is use a prog which gives yo a real time bandwidth monitor and if your children for example are using it, tell them they cant go over 1gb or something.

broadbandking
02-01-2009, 08:52
You can't restrict the bandwidth on different profiles via windows

hokkers999
02-01-2009, 10:00
Hi People..

Could someone please give me the exact times when the Traffic Management System kicks in..

I also have a single PC with 1 as admin 2 as user account what is the best way
to give restricted bandwith... to each profile.

If you are using a Tomato f/w compatible router, there is extensive traffic management built in to that.

mojo8850
02-01-2009, 11:41
I currently have a Dlink DI-634M Router

broadbandking
02-01-2009, 22:06
I don't think the DLINK routers can have tomato firmware.

Rik
03-01-2009, 09:39
If you are using a Tomato f/w compatible router, there is extensive traffic management built in to that.

Great suggestion.

I have a Linksys Open Source router her running the latest version of Tomato and the bandwidth and QOS are the best I have ever seen on a router.

:)

Sadly I dont think it is compatible with DLink routers :(

nutellajunkie
03-01-2009, 10:30
Yes, without Tomato Id have no idea whats going on. I love the real time monitors, I can see everything thats going on. And with that, I have been more careful and havent had many visits from the "HAUDOAN!"

I advise against any software monitor/manager, as they just aren't accurate enough, regardless of what they say. Nothing can be more accurate than the raw hardware beside your modem.

mojo8850
03-01-2009, 11:45
Isn't there an alternative to Tomato F/W Has to be a way for Dlinks..
Or some software..

pete_sa
09-01-2009, 16:08
If I google "virgin media traffic management" my top two results give me Virgin Media pages, but each with confilicting information!

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html- only mentions an evening traffic management policy

- mentions an evening AND a daytime policy

Anyone have any idea on which is correct? Or am I missing something here?

Cheers

Peter_
09-01-2009, 17:47
If I google "virgin media traffic management" my top two results give me Virgin Media pages, but each with confilicting information!

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html- only mentions an evening traffic management policy

- mentions an evening AND a daytime policy

Anyone have any idea on which is correct? Or am I missing something here?

Cheers

They both have exactly the same info just the layout is slightly different.

pete_sa
09-01-2009, 18:17
Hmmm... Ok, I must be going mad! All sorted!

cook1984
09-01-2009, 19:38
The problem is that VM don't stick strictly to the advertised times, or advertised amounts you can download. There are loads of threads with people angry because they were randomly throttled outside of normal hours or after only downloading a small amount.

Apparently it's some kind of bug with the Cisco gear, but they don't seem to be in a hurry to fix it.

Welshchris
10-01-2009, 04:19
From what i also gather if the UBRs are experiencing over capacity they will STM people for no reason to try and level things out.

Stephen
10-01-2009, 09:58
From what i also gather if the UBRs are experiencing over capacity they will STM people for no reason to try and level things out.
Its more than likely not to be STM but as the UBR is very busy then it will cause everyone on it to experience slower speeds.

Welshchris
10-01-2009, 22:12
Its more than likely not to be STM but as the UBR is very busy then it will cause everyone on it to experience slower speeds.

i got it on good authority what i said above is to be valid and true.

moroboshi
11-01-2009, 11:08
I'm sick to the back teeth of VM's ridiculously aggressive downlaod caps and throttling.

I tried to watch an HD movie over Xbox Live last night. It buffered for a while, determined my download speed, then started to stream. Half way through clearly I was abusing VM's service so the throttling kicked in and the movie aborted.

VM's total lack of comprehension of the way people and media companies are using the net now is staggering. Oh and I'm on 20mbit by the way, the quickest available in my area, so there simply is no way for me to stream an HD movie over VM. It's just not possible.

bywater
11-01-2009, 18:49
I am getting fed up with these caps. I am being capped at all peak times now even thou I haven't even downloaded anything. Last night I downloaded 2.4G from microsoft at 1am in the morning after download I was capped to 2Mbs. Peak time today I have been capped to 2Mbs and I haven't even had computer on today. Since Christmas the service is diabolical 2Mb down when I am paying for 10Mb is really crap and worst than any adsl service I have used. So much for super fiber optic broadband virgin media certainly does break the trades discription act. £24.99 amonth for 2Mb most of the time is a total rip off. I want a refund !

moaningmags
11-01-2009, 18:50
I am getting fed up with these caps. I am being capped at all peak times now even thou I haven't even downloaded anything. Last night I downloaded 2.4G from microsoft at 1am in the morning after download I was capped to 2Mbs. Peak time today I have been capped to 2Mbs and I haven't even had computer on today. Since Christmas the service is diabolical 2Mb down when I am paying for 10Mb is really crap and worst than any adsl service I have used. So much for super fiber optic broadband virgin media certainly does break the trades discription act. £24.99 amonth for 2Mb most of the time is a total rip off. I want a refund !

STM isn't 2meg, it's 2.5meg and from what I've heard that's a consistent amount.
You need to have this troubleshot properly.

cook1984
11-01-2009, 19:09

It's definitely STM. You can tell because when the UBR is overloaded you can get a larger share of the bandwidth by simply opening more connections. The UBR does not divide bandwidth up equally, it just uses the usual TCP/IP best effort delivery so the more simultaneous connections you use the larger your share of the bandwidth.

Unfortunately this does tend to make matters worse when the UBR is overloaded. People on usenet and BitTorrent open up more connections, download managers open up more connections automatically etc. Anyone using just one connection (e.g. YouTube) is going to loose out, so VM start hitting people with STM even before they have reached the advertised limits.

hoohim
12-01-2009, 12:49
VM's total lack of comprehension of the way people and media companies are using the net now is staggering.

I think you're absolutly correct, but I don't think any ISP were geared up for the HD explosion and certainly don't know how to manage it efficiently now thats it here. It appears that streaming anything of note in peak time seems to be a no-no. I assume gaming would be the same though I've not tried that. I honestly wont even go near my PC in peak time in case it explodes or some such sh**e. The only answer that I can see to anybody wanting to download/stream/game in peak hours is to move ISP.
For what it's worth I am on VM ADSL and achive for the most part good speeds for when I do d/l but I appreciate that for the money I pay, I'm not going to be able to do it 24/7.