PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64 bit cable modem 351000 driver

gpat777
30-12-2008, 17:30
Hi there.
I have recently upgraded to Vista 64 bit and have consequently lost internet access on that computer. The reasons being my ethernet card driver and the driver for my Ambit/ntl Cable modem 351000. I have ordered a new ethernet adaptor with 64 bit driver, but so far have not been able to find a suitable driver for the cable modem. Does anybody know where one can be found, or alternatively are there any other solutions to the problem? Any advice would be gratefully received as I need to get that computer back on the internet asap!!
Thanks!

zing_deleted
30-12-2008, 17:39
you will not need a driver over ethernet for the modem

Hows old the machine for Vista X64 not to have a driver for it? is it really upto Vista X64?

dev
30-12-2008, 17:41
if you're connecting via ethernet, you don't need one for the modem

Andrewcrawford23
30-12-2008, 17:42
The cable modem does not need a drier for the computer

The only tihng that you need is the ethernet card with 64 bit driver and the cable connected to the modem

zing_deleted
30-12-2008, 17:44
wish I thought of that ;)

gpat777
30-12-2008, 17:46
Thanks to zinglebarb for the quick reply. It will be great if my new ethernet card can get the modem going again. The modem is quite a few years old now, but I am stuck with it as there don't seem to be any more modern coax cable modems available (they are all ADSL now) and I don't want to uppgrade my existing broadband package just yet.

MovedGoalPosts
30-12-2008, 20:17
:confused: From that last post, I'm not really sure what bit of kit is causing you the problem. Was your old PC connected to the modem via USB? If so, give up on that and use the ethernet connector which, as others have said, will only need the windows based drivers for the ethernet card, not for the modem as well.

If you have a cable modem then it will normally have either only an ethernet port for the most modern types, or an ethernet and USB port (you can use one or other, but not both simultaneously). All cable broadband is supplied via the coaxial type connectors, with modems supplied by Virgin Media as part of your subscription. If the modem is faulty, or otherwise unsuited through perhaps call Virgin Media for a replacement.

ADSL is somewhat different as instead of the ISP providing the modem, you can often purchase your own, frequently with a combined router, to plug into the phone socket type connector. You can't buy your own cable modem for Virgin Media (once upon a time in the very early days you could, but not now or for a long time), so routers are a standalone piece of kit that connects to the cable modem's ethernet port.

Stuart
30-12-2008, 21:38
Hi there.
I have recently upgraded to Vista 64 bit and have consequently lost internet access on that computer. The reasons being my ethernet card driver and the driver for my Ambit/ntl Cable modem 351000. I have ordered a new ethernet adaptor with 64 bit driver, but so far have not been able to find a suitable driver for the cable modem. Does anybody know where one can be found, or alternatively are there any other solutions to the problem? Any advice would be gratefully received as I need to get that computer back on the internet asap!!
Thanks!

Ambit, and therefore Virgin no longer support connections through USB. With Vista (both 32 and 64 bit) being relatively new, they are unlikely to write any drivers for it.

Connect to the modem via ethernet. The only drivers you need are to enable your ethernet card to be used with Windows. The modem will not need any drivers.

General Maximus
30-12-2008, 23:52
the thing which confused me is why they did usb to start off with. My old teryaon modem was ethernet only, and I would naturally want to use that type of connection for lan/internet. All of a sudden when usb 2 came out it is as if everyone wanted to use it for everything and it just seemed bizarre that anyone would want to use it for internet access. To start off with virgin were telling everyone to use it and knocking out cds with all the crappy software and stuff on, and now they are telling everyone not to use it. You would have thought they would have done it the proper way to start off with. It is like me telling everyone to connec their monitors through usb instead of dvi.

Stuart
31-12-2008, 03:12
the thing which confused me is why they did usb to start off with. My old teryaon modem was ethernet only, and I would naturally want to use that type of connection for lan/internet. All of a sudden when usb 2 came out it is as if everyone wanted to use it for everything and it just seemed bizarre that anyone would want to use it for internet access. To start off with virgin were telling everyone to use it and knocking out cds with all the crappy software and stuff on, and now they are telling everyone not to use it. You would have thought they would have done it the proper way to start off with. It is like me telling everyone to connec their monitors through usb instead of dvi.

One simple reason: Most PCs released since about 1994 have come with some sort of usb port. Onboard Ethernet did not start becoming a standard facility (on PCs at least - Macs have had that since the mid 90s as well) until around 2002-2003.

The other option would have been to only support ethernet, and require that people open up their pcs and put cards in (at least until USB ethernet adaptors appeared).

zing_deleted
31-12-2008, 08:27
my first Motorola SB4 series was usb only my second was Ethernet. It was also only 512kbps which usb handled fine lol

Least you know you got the right solution here 4 others have given the same answer as I did in post 2 ;) hehehehehehe