PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Installation wiring colours

freecospirit
30-12-2008, 08:27
I am having trouble doing what should be a simple task. I have an extension kit and new wall socket. The cable has 4 wires all solid colours with no stripes and a welded on jack plug so I don't know how the plug itself has been wired but assume that some standard must have been used.

The cable has 4 wires WHITE, RED, BLUE and GREEN with a welded phone plug on one end. The socket has 6 terminals numbered 1 to 6. Terminals 1 and 6 are not used I think. Current incorrect wiring is 2-white, 5-Red, 3-Green and 4-Blue. The phone works for dialing and speech but does not ring for incoming calls. The receiver works fine on other extensions. If I swap 3 and 4 around then the bell rings all the time. If I touch the blue wire onto the red the bells on the other extensions ring. I think that the green wire may be redundant. if both blue and green are disconnected the phone still works for speech and dialling.

I've checked on the net for the correct colours but nowhere is this particular colour combination mentioned. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A simple WHITE = ?, RED = ?, BLUE = ? and GREEN = ? is all that I need to know I'm not technical like most of you but can follow clear instructions.

Thanks in expectation of an effective answer.

Kymmy
30-12-2008, 08:29
Welcome to the forum,

I've moved your post in the correct section where you should get your answer :)

CrowmanUK
30-12-2008, 21:30
I think your answer is partway down this page mate

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

under the bit about standards...