PDA

View Full Version : Caller ID and local area code

Ninko
29-12-2008, 13:46
Hi all,
I've noticed the Virgins Caller ID doesn't display the callers area code if their calling from the same area code as me, is it meant to be like this?

And does that mean I need to store local numbers without the area code in order for it to match it to a name, because as it is it only displays a number? Also I was always told that you should always use the area code even if its a local number as its cheaper then not using it?

Thanks

Ninko

moaningmags
29-12-2008, 14:14
All numbers from my area are stored in my phone without the area code. Numbers from outwith my area have the area code stored too.
So I'd say yes it's meant to be like this. I've never heard of it being cheaper with the area code.
My mobile needs all numbers to have the area code.

dave_dph
01-01-2009, 08:54
Hi all,
I've noticed the Virgins Caller ID doesn't display the callers area code if their calling from the same area code as me, is it meant to be like this?

Thanks

Ninko

When I first took the phone service from Birmingham Cable (back in '96), they used to send the full number (including area code) for all incoming calls. They stopped sending the area code for local calls via Caller I.D. probably around 2003.

If you store your local numbers without the area code into your handset, then the Caller I.D. will match the name stored.

When calling from a standard landline you do not need to dial the area code for local calls; i.e. in Birmingham we just dial the 7 digit local number, not the 0121. The cost of the call will be no different whether you dial the area code or not.

Ninko
01-01-2009, 17:32
Thanks for the info moaningmags and dave_dph.

Take care

Ninko