PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else noticing their modem not working in the morning?

ikthius
29-12-2008, 14:39
Hey everyone,

I have been putting up with a problem for the last 2 months.
My Modem seems to be updating itself every weekday morning between 7-10am.

I honestly thought it was all finished with just before christmas but it started back today.

now the lights go through random sequences, but mainly the power level is always on and the ethernet is always on, but between the said times, the rest are all over the place, but after 10am (not always that time) it settles.
Mainly the ready and sync lights are the ones that flash on and off, there is some up & down activity then the lights seem to all flash 3 or 4 times, then it tries to restart itself.

I am always on the computer after 7am to check emails and what not and this is starting to annoy me.

I am on the 10mb service with virgin and I have an Ambit 120 modem connected to linksys router and my OS is XP SP3

does someone know what is going on? or can someone help me stop this happening every weekday morning

Stabhappy
29-12-2008, 14:42
It will be worth posting your power levels from the modem's config page (192.168.100.1) both downstream and upstream both when it's working and when it's not. It should help find any problem.

ikthius
29-12-2008, 14:48
It will be worth posting your power levels from the modem's config page (192.168.100.1) both downstream and upstream both when it's working and when it's not. It should help find any problem.

as it is working just now here is from the first page:
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.67 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.96 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 51.00 dBmv

Stabhappy
29-12-2008, 14:54
Looks alright to me, may be an issue during the times you've stated though so don't forget to check it tommorow :)

ikthius
29-12-2008, 15:00
Looks alright to me, may be an issue during the times you've stated though so don't forget to check it tommorow :)

will do

Axegrinder
29-12-2008, 20:55
Ambit 120 can struggle with 10meg sometimes, as they are getting rather old modems now.

esdxc37
30-12-2008, 09:46
Ambit 120 can struggle with 10meg sometimes, as they are getting rather old modems now.

The ambit 120 is rated by Virginmedia as being capable of handling up to 12 Mb/s so unless the modem is faulty that should not be the issue.

ikthius
30-12-2008, 10:47
just getting access to pages now. (although not fully settled...at moment of writing)

earlier when I tried to access the modem, it just timed out and never let me in to the modem configuration.

but when I finaly got access this is everything that it said:

Downstream Receive Power Level : N/A
Downstream SNR : N/A
Upstream Transmit Power Level : N/A

Network Access : N/A
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : N/A
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : N/A
Maximum Number of CPEs : N/A
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0004.cpr
Software Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgrade
Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromProvisioning

Task Status
Search for a Downstream Channel Not done
Search for a Upstream Channel Not done
Obtain Upstream Parameters Not done
Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP Not done
Establish Time Of Day Not done
Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP Not done
Register Connection Not done

Downstream Lock : unLocked
Downstream Frequency : N/A
Downstream Modulation : N/A
Downstream Receive Power Level : N/A
Downstream SNR : N/A

Upstream Frequency : N/A
Upstream Transmit Power Level : N/A

Axegrinder
30-12-2008, 10:57
If you cant get into the modem pages, then surely that warrants a new modem?

ikthius
30-12-2008, 11:05
but as stated in op, it is approximately between 7-10am I am having this problem, the rest of the day it is fine.

I just wish someone could help, cause I don't want to phone india

Stabhappy
30-12-2008, 13:40
Very weird that you can't access the modem during those times. Even if the modem isn't connected to the virgin network you should still be able to access the config page, so that suggests to me that the modem is faulty in some way.

dave6x
30-12-2008, 14:12
I switch off my modem and router overnight, I notice that if I switch on in the morning between approx 8am and 10am (never up at 7am these days! lol) the modem will sometimes struggle to connect often requiring modem to be rebooted once or twice before it will stabilize! However once stabilized it runs OK, and this morning it connected OK first time at approx 9am!

I also have an Ambit 120 running perfectly satisfactorily on 10Mb, when it has connected and the network conditions allow it! Will max out at 1.2MB quite happily on a multi-thread download from newsgroups.

ikthius
31-12-2008, 11:52
CS no help at all,

they want me to phone when its not working..........

I bet they say reboot everything, which is not the problem.

joglynne
31-12-2008, 17:10
Ikthius why don't you try the VM newsgroups (virginmedia.support.broadband). You could post the results that you have shown us and see what they have to say. I'm not sure what time they start in the mornings but I have seen posts by the techs before 9am and they are there up to 10pm.

xocemp
31-12-2008, 18:12
Newsgroups support is 8am to 10pm.
Its becoming more popular for customers to bypass firstline support and head to the groups. I hope some form of management reads these forums and sees this too.
Wakeup>coffee>smell! :D