PDA

View Full Version : Is Virgin Media allowed to charge like this?

dcclanuk
28-12-2008, 16:24
Apart from the extortionate 7p connection charge, I see that if you use access numbers to dial internationally- for example to call India landline/mobile, it is 1.5p per minute using the access number 0844 300 4848. However, when you check how much it costs using the pdf documents on the Virgin Media website, it says that they charge 2.5p per minute for calls to 0844 300 ****.

I also checked another access number which was meant to be 2p per minute to India, and Virgin Media say they will charge 3p per minute.

When you actually dial 0844 300 4848 [apart from already being charged 7p to connect], it SAYS "Calls will be charges at 1.5p/min".

I do not see why Virgin Media need to do this? The only two things I can think of is:

- As the rate it says on the pdf file includes VAT at the old rate, they said they will charge the new rate on the bill, so to make sure the cost of the call hasn't decreased, they increase it on the pdf. But an addition of 1p per minute on a call which should cost 1.5p a minute is an increase of 66.6%!!!

- They just want to take more money from the customers in the hope that no-one will notice :erm:

I am not "against" VM as such, but this just takes the mickey.....

BenMcr
28-12-2008, 17:04
The rates for 0844 numbers changed before the VAT cut was announced, and has nothing to do with it. The current price list online for Non-Geographical calls is dated 1st August 2008

And the announcement on the line itself will be the cost from a BT line, and that is regulatory requirement, however most usually have 'calls from mobiles and other networks may vary' as well

chickendippers
28-12-2008, 17:51
BT's 'call setup charge ' is 6.86 pence (inc VAT). Not much difference in my eyes.

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Gen_Notes_boo/0001_d0e219.htm#0001-d0e390

At least Virgin's prices aren't hidden away on a hellishly difficult to read website like above.

dcclanuk
29-12-2008, 11:48
The rates for 0844 numbers changed before the VAT cut was announced, and has nothing to do with it. The current price list online for Non-Geographical calls is dated 1st August 2008

And the announcement on the line itself will be the cost from a BT line, and that is regulatory requirement, however most usually have 'calls from mobiles and other networks may vary' as well

I know it is the cost from a BT line, but VM is still a landline. I think therefore it needs to be the same...

Thanks for your reply though, will see how much VM have charged when the bill comes through:D

BT's 'call setup charge ' is 6.86 pence (inc VAT). Not much difference in my eyes.

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/public/current/Gen_Notes_boo/0001_d0e219.htm#0001-d0e390

At least Virgin's prices aren't hidden away on a hellishly difficult to read website like above.

I just think generally that a 7p connection fee is too much:shocked:

BenMcr
29-12-2008, 13:33
I know it is the cost from a BT line, but VM is still a landline. I think therefore it needs to be the same...
An 0844 number is just like any other though. You wouldn't be saying they should be the same if Virgin made it cheaper now would you? ;)

It's only the premium numbers (i.e 09 numbers) that usually are exactly the same across all providers

chickendippers
29-12-2008, 14:38
Virgin Media can charge pretty much whatever they like. As a consumer in a free market you have a choice of providers and can choose one whose pricing structure you agree with. None of Virgin Media's other services (broadband/tv/mobile) are dependant on the landline.

dcclanuk
29-12-2008, 18:01
An 0844 number is just like any other though. You wouldn't be saying they should be the same if Virgin made it cheaper now would you? ;)

It's only the premium numbers (i.e 09 numbers) that usually are exactly the same across all providers

If only VM ever gave me such an opportunity :D:dozey:;)

Virgin Media can charge pretty much whatever they like. As a consumer in a free market you have a choice of providers and can choose one whose pricing structure you agree with. None of Virgin Media's other services (broadband/tv/mobile) are dependant on the landline.

Yes they can charge what they like, BUT before it was exactly the same as BT!
My "Loyalty" discount requires me to have the landline though:D

m419
29-12-2008, 23:44
They can charge whatever they want to!

If Virgin Media charged the same rates as BT for calling 0844,0845,0870 and 0871 numbers then Virgin Media wouldnt be getting any revenue from this at all. It is a business not a charity, businesses are there to make money not more debt!

Furthermore, Virgin Media's talk anywhere plans charge the equivalent of 4p per minute to call UK landlines,0845,0870 and Mobiles as well as international landlines and mobiles. Plus there is no call connection charge.

By the way the call connection charge on Talk Unlimited,Talk evening and weekends and Talk Weekends for chargeable calls varies depending on what number you are calling,you will find that some 0871 number calls incurr at 15p connection fee and are charged at 10p per minute in line with BT. Some 0844 numbers incurr a 12p connection fee and most premium rate numbers have a call connection charge of between 20p and 70p.

There is a very detailed guide to all the charges on the Virgin Media website which opens as a Adobe.pdf

nutellajunkie
06-01-2009, 16:53
oh the days of 3.5p per call.. *sigh*

m419
07-01-2009, 18:42
If you are a Virgin Talk customer(Use a BT line for Virgin Media services) you can dial 1280 before the phone number you are calling if you find that call cheaper with BT, you will be billed directly by BT and by-pass Virgin Media, however for all your calls yo 01,02 and 03 numbers, make sure you route calls through Virgin Media since its an unlimited allowance!