PDA

View Full Version : Basic wireless network Q

DJBKS
27-12-2008, 00:17
Hi

I've got the virgin wireless router coming and have a couple of Q's

1. Can I still connect to a desk top using a ethernet cable and also have the wireless working to other computers/consols etc..

2. If I can't conect using wires to the desk top and have wireless to other computers (ie can only have fully wireless and not part wireless part wired) will I need a a USB type divice as my desk top is getting on a bit and does not have wireless built into it and if so do virgin supply it at no further cost or at what cost??

prob a basic Q but i'm new to this stuff.

:confused:

moaningmags
27-12-2008, 00:18
Hi DJBKS :welcome:
The router has 4 ethernet ports, so you can still connect your computer using ethernet.

DJBKS
27-12-2008, 00:22
thanks moaningmags, that was a fast reply, faster that I can type!

Northeast_user
27-12-2008, 00:25
thanks moaningmags, that was a fast reply, faster that I can type!

They're good here LOL.

moaningmags
27-12-2008, 00:26
lol no problem, if you have any problems when you do get the router just post here and loads of people will help.
One thing when setting up the router it defaults to channel 6, I highly recommend changing that to 1 or 11.

LaineY
27-12-2008, 11:52
I use channel 11 as it gives me better signal quality and better range...
and it takes it a few Mhz off what other things run on in the house(for EG Baby monitors and Video Senders)

I normally find the same as Moaningmags...

1 and 11 seem to be the best channels..
plus 90% of routers Default to 6 (or around the central channel)..

so if theres neighbours around you with routers on the default channel you will clearly get some interfearance..

Merry Christmas Guys...

Raistlin
27-12-2008, 12:02
Except, most people have now had the advice that they should change to either channel 1 or channel 11. I've just had to reconfigure the in-laws' wireless (literally 5 minutes ago) because the neighbours have just put up wireless adaptors on channels 1 and 11.

Best thing to do is get yourself netstumbler (from here: http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ ) run it up and it will tell you what channels are in use within range of your computer - then just pick the one that's within as uncongested a band as you can manage.

As you can see, the channels overlap - try to choose a channel that doesn't overlap with those in use around you (or at least, one that doesn't overlap too much).

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/12/11.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

In all honestly though, best bet is to get the device and then see how you get on. If you start to get problems post back here and someone should be able to help.

Most importantly though, you must make sure that you secure the access point properly.