PDA

View Full Version : Netgear WGR614 wireless disconnects

mcc28
26-12-2008, 19:19
Hi,

Hopefully this will be a bit academic as my broadband connection is being 'modernised' to a cable modem and WGR614v9 router in January.

It is nonetheless really annoying!

My current broadband is through a samsung STB and Netgear WGR614v1 router.

Increasingly the computers connected by wifi drop the connection with the router. I have tried changing the channel of the router and this does not help at all.

I have a permanently wired Desktop which always maintains a good connection.

Is there anything that I need to be checking now that could help determine what the problem is with my current router?

The problem is normally solved by rebooting the router and sometimes it is necessary to restart the PC's too. Currently there is no encryption set up on the router.

Any pointers appreciated.

Mark

whydoIneedatech
26-12-2008, 21:36
Hi,

Hopefully this will be a bit academic as my broadband connection is being 'modernised' to a cable modem and WGR614v9 router in January.

It is nonetheless really annoying!

My current broadband is through a samsung STB and Netgear WGR614v1 router.

Increasingly the computers connected by wifi drop the connection with the router. I have tried changing the channel of the router and this does not help at all.

I have a permanently wired Desktop which always maintains a good connection.

Is there anything that I need to be checking now that could help determine what the problem is with my current router?

The problem is normally solved by rebooting the router and sometimes it is necessary to restart the PC's too. Currently there is no encryption set up on the router.

Any pointers appreciated.

Mark

Probably the router is just to old and is having issues, you could try this link to the WGR614v1 support pages and try and update your firmware, just click HERE (http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614v1.asp)

TimIgoe
26-12-2008, 22:09
I get exactly the same issues with a v7 variant of that router - the wireless just seems to drop after a period and i can't place exactly why.

Do you have any gaming consoles attached to it all the time? (wii for example?)

kpanchev
26-12-2008, 22:43
I have the same problems with my Virgin WGR614v6 router, and the only wireless device that connects to it is my mobile phone... This router is a pile of s**t, and the Virgin firmware does not make it better... My advice is when you're fed up with rebooting it every other day, dump it in the bin and buy a proper router.

moaningmags
26-12-2008, 22:52
I get exactly the same issues with a v7 variant of that router - the wireless just seems to drop after a period and i can't place exactly why.

Do you have any gaming consoles attached to it all the time? (wii for example?)

I have the same router and it's never once dropped the connection, currently there are 5 laptops connected to it wirelessly and getting full 20Mb speeds.
Perhaps yours needs a reset, have you tried changing the channel it broadcasts on?

TimIgoe
26-12-2008, 22:54
I have the same router and it's never once dropped the connection, currently there are 5 laptops connected to it wirelessly and getting full 20Mb speeds.
Perhaps yours needs a reset, have you tried changing the channel it broadcasts on?

Believe me, the router has had everything done to it it can to try and stop it failing after a period of time.

1 PC, 1 Console - thats all thats connected to it.

moaningmags
26-12-2008, 22:56
Believe me, the router has had everything done to it it can to try and stop it failing after a period of time.

1 PC, 1 Console - thats all thats connected to it.

I'd contact Netgear, see if there's a firmware update for it or it could simply be a faulty router which they should replace.

Only had 5 laptops wireless since Xmas day, previous to that we had 4 wired comps and 2 wireless and honestly never had an issue.

TimIgoe
26-12-2008, 23:40
Its on its latest firmware, its only relatively recently its started miss behaving too.

Well out of 'warrenty' but I can't justify buying a new one - its annoying, but a reboot of it fixes it for 2-4 weeks :)

mcc28
27-12-2008, 13:25
Oh dear, the replacement router probably ain't gonna be any good either...seen as same model.

The WGR614v1 has most recent firmware and I've changed the channels which tends to make it worse if anything....

If anyone has particularly good response on any channel let me know.

So should I buy a rangemax router - looks like they give larger coverage according to some of the stuff I've read. I know that the wireless N bit is a waste of time if I don't have a wireless N card, but will I get better reception on wireless ?

Mark

chickendippers
27-12-2008, 13:28
Being out of warranty doesn't stop you from getting support from Netgear.

Incidentally this should probably be moved to the general networking forum, as the OP isn't about Virgin equipment or services.

tdenson
09-01-2009, 09:47
I wonder if someone here could help me. I have just bought a WG614v9 from Amazon and I can't see any wireless signal from it. I would think it was faulty except I have already sent one back with exactly the same problem. And yes, I have enabled the wireless including broadcast of SSID. It works fine with a wired connection.

chickendippers
09-01-2009, 09:51
Perhaps there's a problem with the wireless card in your computer? Have you tried another device?

tdenson
09-01-2009, 10:48
Perhaps there's a problem with the wireless card in your computer? Have you tried another device?

Yes. The other router (Belkin) I am replacing (because of port redirection problems) works fine. Also, I have at least 9 wireless clients in the house all working perfectly to the Belkin.

Kymmy
09-01-2009, 10:58
Remember that the 2.4Ghz band that the B/G wireless routers work on is also shared by a number of devices...ranging from Microwaves, video senders, dect phones, bluetooth and a range of other low power devices... None of these will show up on your wireless scan but will effect your signals (especially some cheaper higher power and illegal devices that you can buy from ebay...for example I have a 2W video sender that I only use at shows/events but if I used it at home it would stop most routers in a 1/4 mile radius in thier tracks )

tdenson
09-01-2009, 11:14
Remember that the 2.4Ghz band that the B/G wireless routers work on is also shared by a number of devices...ranging from Microwaves, video senders, dect phones, bluetooth and a range of other low power devices... None of these will show up on your wireless scan but will effect your signals (especially some cheaper higher power and illegal devices that you can buy from ebay...for example I have a 2W video sender that I only use at shows/events but if I used it at home it would stop most routers in a 1/4 mile radius in thier tracks )

Yes, but all other 9 devices are working fine. The *only* thing that doesn't generate a wireless signal is the Netgear. I just find it difficult to believe Amazon sent me 2 broken ones. I was hoping someone here would say something like "have you pressed the little switch on the right hand side".

I'm also very familiar with Netgear firmware, I have 2 other 834's (the ADSL version) installed at work.

Joxer
09-01-2009, 11:19
Have you tried it on different channels? I'd try the channel the Belkin is using as that would appear to work.

Kymmy
09-01-2009, 11:38
Have you tried it on different channels? I'd try the channel the Belkin is using as that would appear to work.

He does say he's tried other channels...Though if it is co-channel interference then that'll mean that the belkin has better filtering on the RF circuit...

Joxer
09-01-2009, 11:57
He does say he's tried other channels..

mcc28 certainly said that, but I don't think tdenson did.

Kymmy
09-01-2009, 12:00
mcc28 certainly said that, but I don't think tdenson did.

Yep, you're correct..sorry i came into the thread half way through and didn;t realise it was two different OP's ;)

LondonRoad
09-01-2009, 12:03
Yep, you're correct..sorry i came into the thread half way through and didn;t realise it was two different OP's ;)

Is it possible to have to have 2 OPs in one thread? ;) Pedantically yours...:)

Kymmy
09-01-2009, 12:07
OP = Original Problems :p: Well it does in this thread :p:

Milambar
09-01-2009, 12:41
The WGR614 routers, prior to V7 had overheating problems that would cause sporadic disconnects. They have to be kept in a well ventilated area.

Netgear fixed this in V7 and up, by the addition of copper heatsinks, although its still recommended they be kept in a well ventilated area, and not under a desk or in a cupboard somewhere out of sight.

tdenson
09-01-2009, 15:02

I set it to channel 11 and hey presto it burst into life. Bit confusing that because I had it set to Auto previously so I thought it would have found a working channel. As it happens the Belkin was set to 11 but it wasn't an interference thing because I didn't even have the Belkin switched on. Oh well, as with so many Wifi issues I just shrug my shoulders and move on. Thanks all.

Joxer
09-01-2009, 15:43
I think auto can only avoid other channels broadcasting in the area but is not so good at avoiding interference, glad you got it sorted though.

duongnt
11-01-2009, 09:42
I always select the channel that nobody else is using and it helps a lot

Cheers,

NTD

mcc28
14-01-2009, 20:45
I'm on the WGR614v9 router now, everything connected, will have to see if the disconnect problem is now remedied with change, hope so....

tdenson
19-01-2009, 20:36
I am having further problems now with my WGR614v9. Firstly I am losing the internet connection (via wire or wireless) half a dozen times a day and have to power cycle the Netgear each time. I have now upgraded to latest firmware to see if that fixes it. Incidentally, I was a bit surprised to have to rename the downloaded firmware file to have a .chk extension before it would accept it for upload to the router. This did not seem to be documented, I found it by trial and error.

The other problem I have is trying to get port redirection to work. When I add a custom service just nothing happens. It lets me type it in but it doesn't appear in the list. Anyone else here using port redirection.

DC_FC79
19-01-2009, 22:16
I use a netgear wgr614 albeit a non virgin branded 1 on a virgin cable connection and i dont lose the connection,

ps3man
21-01-2009, 19:37
The other problem I have is trying to get port redirection to work. When I add a custom service just nothing happens. It lets me type it in but it doesn't appear in the list. Anyone else here using port redirection.

not familiar with that particular router but should be much like most other netgears.
never had a problem like that. sorry to ask a stupid question but after you fill in serice details are u clicking add then apply? or they aren't there or u click and still nothing?

tdenson
21-01-2009, 23:51
not familiar with that particular router but should be much like most other netgears.
never had a problem like that. sorry to ask a stupid question but after you fill in serice details are u clicking add then apply? or they aren't there or u click and still nothing?

I am clicking "add custom service", then filling in the details then clicking apply. When I click on the service name drop down, I don't see the new service in the list