PDA

View Full Version : BitTorrent kills my net

Raitei
25-12-2008, 00:39
Hi guys, wondering if you could help me out.

When i download through BT, almost every page i visit gives me a network timeout problem when i visit, unless a refresh a lot at which point i might get lucky

im not maxing my bandwith out (the upload and download speeds can be less than 5KB each and this still happens)

I believe its a problem with my router, i didn't have this problem on my old one, but that had other problem far more annoying than this one.

The router is supplied by VM (WGR614v6) and my cousin also has this problem (and lives far away from me)

any idea what it could be, and what i could change to stop this?

Russ
25-12-2008, 00:44
Which torrent client are you using?

MovedGoalPosts
25-12-2008, 00:47
You need to seriously restrict the number of connections that your torrent client throws out and tries to maintain.

Raitei
25-12-2008, 00:53
im using vuze.

even when limited to 50 connections per torrent, im still getting these. I thought it might be something to do with the router though

MovedGoalPosts
25-12-2008, 00:57
To rule out the router, you'll need to unplug it and connect direct the PC to modem (reboot modem).

The config of the Virgin Media supplied modem will be limited and it's not easy to change and would certainly invalidate any VM support on it. An independent router, that you have full control over the firmware, may be a better option.

Raitei
25-12-2008, 01:43
the only spare i have royally cocks up my wireless and stops my sister using the net

oh wells... ill just bt at night

sammyjayuk
25-12-2008, 02:43
I've noticed this on all my routers - the VM supplied one (no longer used), an Apple Airport Express (now used only for the wireless audio features) and an Airport Extreme (which is oh so expensive, but worth it IMHO) - but *only* when I've been STMed, and even then only after a few hours of being throttled normally.

I very much suspect that VM throttle the connection even further that is normal, if a certain threshold is reached while already STMed. However, quitting the Bittorrent client (I've seen exactly the same behaviour with both Transmission for Mac and uTorrent for Mac) will cause things to return to normal, after a minute or so, so I wonder whether VM are doing something that we don't know about.

Still, I do have a small understanding of the issues that VM (and other ISPs, for that matter) face in trying to keep the network operating as smoothly as possible while still satisfying the needs of heavier, and often higher value, users. I consider VM's current system to be on the right side of fair, if a little restrictive. If VM do end up introducing application-based traffic management, I may have to think again.

Sam

Zhadnost
25-12-2008, 10:08
Does the router have any traffic shaping options? (Otherwise known as QoS).

If it does, then they can help quite a bit for this precise problem.

General Maximus
25-12-2008, 10:14
2 things you need to do dude. Firstly dont worry about the max connections per torrent, you need to reduce the max number of global connections. I set mine to 250 and it works a treat.

Secondly, and probably most importantly, if it is a new router you need to make sure you have got your port forwarding sorted out. I normally use 10000 for Vuze and you need to make sure the router knows this. I can guarantee that this is the source of your problem as i have made the same mistake before. As soon as you open that port and forward it will be like opening a flood gate and the downloads will be pouring in :)

Raitei
25-12-2008, 14:52
hrm... my ports weren't forwarded...

max global connections is about 150, and i don't have QoS, so one last check with ports properly forwarded

cimt
25-12-2008, 15:00
I've not used Vuze, but can you limit your upload speed on what you're doing?

General Maximus
25-12-2008, 15:18
you can manually set the upload speed to whatever you want which you will need to do if he wants to pull full download speed. The problem is that he isnt connecting to anyone in the swarm which is why his speed is cack.

Raitei
25-12-2008, 22:36
no... thats not the problem. My bt downloads go fine, i can connect to a lot of peopl

problem is browsing the net while im using bt, even if vuze isn't even slightly maxing my connection, i still can't access pages and get network timeouts on most every page

General Maximus
25-12-2008, 23:08
click on tools, options and transfer and have a look and what your max number of global connections are. I can't remember what it is set to at default but mine is 250. I can remember a few years ago i had problems when i left it uncapped and i was going over 500 connections. All the other apps died when that happened which is when I chopped it down a bit.

sammyjayuk
26-12-2008, 04:06
no... thats not the problem. My bt downloads go fine, i can connect to a lot of peopl

problem is browsing the net while im using bt, even if vuze isn't even slightly maxing my connection, i still can't access pages and get network timeouts on most every page

Ahh, I think I'm seeing something different then. Usually, I can be maxing out my connection, being connected to lots of peers (certainly more than 250, probably more than 500 a lot of the time - I think I have uTorrent set for something silly like 2000), yet still be able to browse the web - if a little slowly.

Even once I've been STMed, I can continue to max out my new speed, and browse the web.

It's only one I've been STMed for a few hours that I get problems. Both my download and upload speeds (in uTorrent) drop sharply, a lot of the time right down to 5KB/s up and down if not lower, and only then do I find myself almost completely unable to browse the web.

I never limit my download speed, but I am quite careful to limit upload to between 20 and 40KB/s.

Sam

General Maximus
26-12-2008, 11:35
If you are stm'd i think 22k is your max up anyway, you really need to look at knocking it down to 16k if you still want to be able to browse and do other bits.

ah786
26-12-2008, 14:39
hi

same here when i use utorrent it slows my computer down so much, so i had to stop using it. i use the standard Motorola modem you get from VM and a d-link655 router. can anyone help me please so i can use utorrent.

thanks

nmurn
07-01-2009, 20:28
Hi guys

I have just signed up to wireless VM after being an NTL customer for about six years.

Like the thread originatorI have now noticed that since I got hold of the wireless router Netgear WGR614v9 using wireless (about three weeks) that I can't have a bittorrent client open (bitlord) and browse the web at the same time. Once I close the client, it corrects itself....

Is there a fix for this or is something underhand afoot?

General Maximus
07-01-2009, 20:40
yup, i had exactly the same problem when I started torrenting with a router as well. There are 2 things you need to do and you can have a play to see what works best. The most important thing is to make sure that the torrents do not saturate your upstream bandwidth. If you know for example you normally upload at a maximum of 60k/sec, limit it to 40k in bitlord so you have 20 spare for anything else you want to do. The other thing is limiting the maximum number of connections, i set mine to 250.

Rik
07-01-2009, 20:57
UTorrent was crippling my net access when it was downloading, im sure thats more to do with the amount of connections it was using tho.

Ive always had a soft spot for Azureus (Vuze) tho, and since changing back to that, problem has gone :)

LaineY
07-01-2009, 21:19
I have exp this problem before myself about 4 years ago..

Do you by any chance have the Scientific Atlanta EPC 2100 REVISION 1 modem?

broadbandking
08-01-2009, 12:32
Bittorrent sends loads of requests for connections which a lot of routers cant handle you need to seriously limit the connection on my 50Mb connection I only use 150 and its fine

duongnt
09-01-2009, 13:40
Thanks, that does help

I restrict the connection to 200 and upload speed to 20

Cheers,

NTD