PDA

View Full Version : number sell ?

bigbloke
23-12-2008, 09:29
I have a really nice number for my local area (46 47 48 ) which I no longer need. Rather than just give it up and have VM use it internally I would like to know if it's possible to "sell" / transfer it to someone else. Surely someone would like it for a few quid.

:angel:

BenMcr
23-12-2008, 11:03
Not possible as it is not yours to sell in the first place

bigbloke
23-12-2008, 11:40
of course it's not mine to sell - however, maybe someone who wants a nice number may want to "take it on" ie. transfer the account to a new address and later to a new name ?

BenMcr
23-12-2008, 11:47
And you would be legally responsible for the account until the name change was done. So if someone ran up £100s of worth of calls and then didn't pay, you would have to pay it or get taken to court

It would also probably mess up your credit file as it would be reported you had services at an address where you don't live.

v0id
23-12-2008, 12:18
Someone else will be allocated the number anyway a while after your cancel your phone line.

DaggaDagga
23-12-2008, 13:27
It was a sensible question. Nobody legally owns their own car reg number either, but people do still sell transfers to each other for £10,000s.

DVLA now automatically keep back any interesting reg plates that may have a value and auction them (money for nothing really).

I'd bet that Virgin won't randomly hand this out to the next customer. They'll probably sell it to some phone number broker. That number does have some value, even if it's just £100 or so.

There may be ways to do this yourself - worth some googling for sure, before giving it back to Virgin for nothing. If Virgin can transfer the number to another telco (I believe they can, e.g. if you switch to BT) then you might be onto something.

I'd find a company that sells premium catchy numbers to businesses and ring them up. You might be seeing your old number on the side of taxis in the future.

Good luck, let us know if you get anywhere.

BenMcr
23-12-2008, 13:33
I would like to point everyone to the Terms and Conditions (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html) and specfically Section B, Subsection 3, Part b

If we provide you with a telephone line, and you don't ask us to transfer your existing number, we will allocate a number to your telephone line. The telephone number and any rights in it belong to us and you may not sell or agree to transfer the number to any person.

DaggaDagga
23-12-2008, 13:34
http://www.ttnc.co.uk/

It's probably not worth that much though, e.g. they are selling:

023 93 000 777 for £195.

So I doubt they'd be interested in yours.

Darrenp
27-12-2008, 22:38
Numbers like that down here are usually picked up by taxi companies.

Been going on for decades, the buying of telephone numbers, regardless of what the T & C's on your account says, there are ways of doing it.