PDA

View Full Version : How far could Virgin cable connections technically go?

|Kippa|
23-12-2008, 01:46
With each new itteration of Docsis the bar is raised and the speeds get faster. As far as I can tell, and correct me if I am wrong but looking at Docsis version 3 (Eurodocsis) 400 mbit download rate could theoretically be achieved. How far can the technically bounderies be pushed for connection speed using copper wire technology from the cabinet to the house?

For example if a future Docsis 4 standard comes out could we see 1gbit connections? Or even faster? How far can you push the technology before you reach it's limits?

How fast can a cable connection get with copperwiring from the cabinet to the house? I am not an uber geek and I am sure there are some here in this forum that are, and would like to hear how fast in future connection speeds can be pushed till you reach the limitations of the cable connection which in part is based on copper wiring.

Horace
23-12-2008, 06:22
What's the point of 400Mb when you could only download for like 2 seconds and since Virgin can't even get 56k right then how could they possibly supply those speeds.

Just thought I'd get that in to save anyone else the bother.

To answer your question, technically I have no idea, however if substantial monies would have to be spent to upgrade infrastructure for those speeds then the demand would have to be there and I'm not even sure the demand for 50meg is there right now (except for families with multiple PC's, laptops and connected consoles). To be honest I think broadband hit a critical mass at 10meg as far as cable is concerned, that was the point at which 95% of large downloads and streaming became a non-issue and unless HD streaming really starts to take off I can't see the need for those kinds of speeds in anything like the near future.

broadbandbug
23-12-2008, 07:23
With each new itteration of Docsis the bar is raised and the speeds get faster. As far as I can tell, and correct me if I am wrong but looking at Docsis version 3 (Eurodocsis) 400 mbit download rate could theoretically be achieved. How far can the technically bounderies be pushed for connection speed using copper wire technology from the cabinet to the house?

For example if a future Docsis 4 standard comes out could we see 1gbit connections? Or even faster? How far can you push the technology before you reach it's limits?

How fast can a cable connection get with copperwiring from the cabinet to the house? I am not an uber geek and I am sure there are some here in this forum that are, and would like to hear how fast in future connection speeds can be pushed till you reach the limitations of the cable connection which in part is based on copper wiring.

DoCSIS 3.0 has the capability to go upto and beyond a gig. It is down to evolution of the cable modem and the associated bonding capabilities.. At the moment the cable modem has four DoCSIS tuners in it and the capability is there to bond those together.. There are plans for 8, 12 & 24 tuner cable modems over the next 4-6 years, so the limit is really the amount of spectrum available in both the upstream and downstream to support the increasing speeds.