PDA

View Full Version : We are so screwed :(

General Maximus
22-12-2008, 21:57
I don't know if anyone else has picked up on it yet but i have just been browsing for the VM website for any new info on 50mbit and came across the traffic management policies and thought i would have a nosey at the adsl dudes and came across this.

"What is the 'Application Management' and how it works?

During peak periods, we also reserve the right to manage the amount of bandwidth allocated to certain applications (such as Peer-to-Peer file sharing) and we refer to this process as 'Application Management'. Controlling the amount of bandwidth allocated to certain applications helps us provide the best possible experience for the majority of our customers. We only apply this to applications whose operation is not time-critical as part of our acceptable usage policy.

For example, Peer-to-Peer file sharing is an application that tends to use a huge amount of bandwidth while trickling file downloads/uploads in the background. This means it can continue to operate with a (temporarily) reduced bandwidth allocation"

I didn't realise that VM already have the facility in place to throtle applications. With this is mind we can be certain that they will be screwing us cable guys over asap. I know we have been chatting about it in other threads in reference to bit torrent and it was 50/50 as to whether they are going to do it or not next year, but as they have already got the technology in place i think it is almost guaranteed that they are going to use it.

BenMcr
22-12-2008, 22:01
They don't. The Virgin National network is seperate to Virgin Cable and uses different technology

If/When Virgin introduce Application Management they WILL tell everyone. Then you can decide whether to go or not.

Until then it is scare mongering

flashpaul
22-12-2008, 22:56
Hasnt the Virgin CEO stated that application management will be rolled out next year ? (see CF front page)

Sounds like a bit more than scaremongering

Also if you are tied into a 12 month contract I suspect that you wont be able to just leave

Milambar
22-12-2008, 23:19
As I understand contractual law, if one side makes a significant change to the services they are providing under contract, then the contract is rendered null and void, and you are free to leave.

However if you fail to exercise that right within a reasonable timescale, then you are deemed to have accepted the "new" contractual terms.

However, you can bet anything that VM will try and hide behind the small print that they can make any change they wish, and refuse you permission to terminate.

broadbandking
22-12-2008, 23:56
It states in VM t&c's they reserve the right to restrict or limit you speed if need be so your stuck if in contract

LaineY
23-12-2008, 10:20
However, you can bet anything that VM will try and hide behind the small print that they can make any change they wish, and refuse you permission to terminate.

Every company in the world today.. "Hides Behind The Small Print"

Its an important part of a company to have the "Small Print"

If we were remotely interested in the "Small Print" we would all have sat and read every single last bit of it .. for everything we have.. from Banks to Building Societys / Jobs / ETC ETC..

hoohim
23-12-2008, 11:17
Living it Maximus. On VM ADSL.
During the hours of 4pm and midnight and 10am till midnight at weekends ADSL is completely fubar. I can hardly pull up a webpage let alone get my d/ls going. 50k my arse.
I'm sure most ADSL users are the same, its so slow it's hard to tell what is being throttled when you're being managed. Everything by the look of things. living with it and working around it though.

Wouldn't mind so much but I don't/can't d/l in peak hours anyway :S

Traduk
23-12-2008, 11:44

Its an important part of a company to have the "Small Print"

If we were remotely interested in the "Small Print" we would all have sat and read every single last bit of it .. for everything we have.. from Banks to Building Societys / Jobs / ETC ETC..

How right you are :)

Reading small print can be an exercise in futility as many companies even excuse themselves from providing any service at all but cover that with will use best endeavours to supply.

VM hides the nasties within T&C's and Fair Use Policy and according to the retentions guy I spoke to at the beginning of this year it is nigh on impossible to get out of a contract. They learnt to avoid changes that lead to churn and stay away from easy exit changes.

I allowed myself to be subject to a one year contract because the financial incentive was a no brainer. It ends next month and no way will I engage in another because I suspect that changes in the coming year will see me using the exit door.

LaineY
23-12-2008, 11:57
did you speak to tech support about that hoohim?

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

Reading small print can be an exercise in futility as many companies even excuse themselves from providing any service at all but cover that with will use best endeavours to supply.

VM hides the nasties within T&C's and Fair Use Policy and according to the retentions guy I spoke to at the beginning of this year it is nigh on impossible to get out of a contract. They learnt to avoid changes that lead to churn and stay away from easy exit changes.

I allowed myself to be subject to a one year contract because the financial incentive was a no brainer. It ends next month and no way will I engage in another because I suspect that changes in the coming year will see me using the exit door.

-----

It could be a possibility that the changes in the coming year could resolve alot of issues

hoohim
23-12-2008, 13:16
did you speak to tech support about that hoohim?

Actually no - I know everything is fine outside of ADSL peak hours. More than fine to be truthful. So it would appear my line is performing as it should. But everything STOPS in peak to the point of being pointless. I don't mind being managed to 50k if I've gone over any peak time limits as per T&Cs but I'm not getting that at all. I don't see how tech support could help. But I've done all my chistmas shopping & wrapping now and I'm not going out tonight so I may as well try them out. But judging from what I've read in this forum I'm less than optimistic shall we say.

LaineY
23-12-2008, 14:02
i would still phone about that mate.

if its really dropping that much i know that would drive me crazy too..

chickendippers
23-12-2008, 15:45
My company doesn't...it's the same font as the rest of our website :p:

BenMcr
23-12-2008, 15:54
So does Virgin ;) www.virginmedia.com/legal (http://www.virginmedia.com/legal) Not 'Small' print at all

jkenney
24-12-2008, 02:03
Traffic management, or QoS (Quality of Service) is badly needed at every network bottleneck. It should be on every modem, every ubr & every congested exit point.

If it is done well, it should mean that torrents & other non-priority bulk traffic are throttled where the network is congested, but other traffic where low latency is more important should go faster. Online games, dns lookups, web browsing, voip, streaming media, etc would all work reliably again.

At the moment when the network gets congested, nobody can do anything.

bigsanta11
26-12-2008, 01:33

Having only a few days left until my contract is up,i was all set to take on some new Vm offers,but after reading a few truths of what's to come next year from the mouth of Vm,there is just no way in hell i'm going to get stuck in a new 12 month contract ,with a service that will be far from "THE MOTHER OF ALL BROADBAND".

I want my get out of jail card,it's too valuable to give it up!!!!!!

Shh,just blame it all on p2p,don't mention the over subscription problems....shhh..