PDA

View Full Version : Can A BT Homehub be made to work on Cable Modem

Saaf_laandon_mo
22-12-2008, 10:55
A friend of mine gave me his old BT homehub router to see if it would work if I plug in my cable modem.

I plugged in the ethernet cable from my cable modem into the back of the BT home hub (There is a telephone socket at the back labelled broadband).

I could browse the net using WIFI on my N95 throough the BT router. However when I turned on the laptop the card picks up the WIFI, I can enter the key. But when I open up a browser window there's a BT page with a message saying no Broadband connected to the router. Why would it work on my phone and not on my laptop. And can I adust some settings to make this work on my cable?

Kymmy
22-12-2008, 10:58
If the bt home-hub is plugged straight into a modem (i.e. you're using the BT home hub as a hub/wireless access point) then the first item to connect will dhcp into the modem. At that point the modem will need rebooting for a 2nd device to work... (though the homehub DHCP will also conflict)

The BT homehub will NOT though work as a router on cable but only on ADSL

Saaf_laandon_mo
22-12-2008, 11:06
If the bt home-hub is plugged straight into a modem (i.e. you're using the BT home hub as a hub/wireless access point) then the first item to connect will dhcp into the modem. At that point the modem will need rebooting for a 2nd device to work... (though the homehub DHCP will also conflict)

The BT homehub will NOT though work as a router on cable but only on ADSL

Kymmy, would you happen to know why my mobile can access the net using the home hub as a router? I'd have thought it wouldnt work on that too.

Kymmy
22-12-2008, 11:08
It didn't use it as a router but strictly as a hub/WAP....the phone would have DHCP'd the modem through the BThomehub and hence connected directly through the modem

Saaf_laandon_mo
22-12-2008, 11:11
It didn't use it as a router but strictly as a hub/WAP....the phone would have DHCP'd the modem through the BThomehub and hence connected directly through the modem

cheers... Shame though cause it looks a lot nicer than my Belkin router.

Graham M
22-12-2008, 11:19
LoL hide it behind something, it doesn't have to be on view, just thank yourself it doesn't look like this

http://www.cisco.com/image/jpeg/en/us/guest/products/ps359/c1122/ccmigration_09186a008002d3e2.jpeg

:D