PDA

View Full Version : Upload speeds

Derrick
22-12-2008, 00:24
I have the Virgin Broadband M service and I also have Tesco's Internet Phone service. I find the latter unsatisfactory because of breaking-up on the outgoing conversation only. On talking to Tesco, I find that their minimum upload speed requirement is 150 Kb/s. On testing my average upload speed from North Essex to London, I find that the figure is only 170 Kb/s.
I suspect this is the source of my problems.
Maybe the more expensive packages would give higher upload speeds but my budget is tight.
Does anyone have any idea when Virgin might increase upload speeds generally?

chickendippers
22-12-2008, 00:53
Speed test sites are unreliable.

Upload speed on the M package is 256K, under STM this is reduced to 128K.

homealone
22-12-2008, 01:03

while I agree speed tests are unreliable, this one

http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

seems to give realistic results most of the time & is targeted on voip, which might help the OP??

A Dave
22-12-2008, 20:23

I believe that VM were taken to task at the end of October for advertising their upload speed on the M package as 256Kbps whereas many of their customers (possibly all "ex-ntl" customers?) were actually only receiving a 200Kbps service. In their statement about this they stated: "Work to align minor differences in speeds across the NTL and Telewest customer bases is ongoing and should be complete very soon".
I, as one of the many "ex-ntl" customers, have been frequently rebooting my modem since October but its configuration file continues to show: "Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000". Presumably VM have a slightly different interpretation of "very soon" than many of their customers.
So, since Derrick is located in North Essex, I would guess he is "ex-ntl" and is still on 200Kbps (max.) upload speed.

Derrick
22-12-2008, 20:49
Thanks to everyone who replied.
A. Dave is correct. I am ex-NTL.
The VM Broadband M to L differential is quite costly, so I am going to have to watch and wait, like so many others probably, for the promised improvement in the upload speed.

Noggo
22-12-2008, 21:38
There is a way around for one month anyway. Look here: http://www.virginmediapeople.com/12days/ at 3rd day M to L free for one month. Please remember to cancel after 30 days tho. Plus some people have been charged the extra £7, which is going to be credited in Jan.

May be worth trying to see if resolves the issues.

Merry Christmas,

Noggo

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Note: I've always found www.speedtest.net very reliable on upload test.

A Dave
14-01-2009, 16:15
Just thought I would update anyone who might have been at all concerned about my upload speed. The promised increase to 256Kbps happened today.
I notice that the download speed has also increased slightly. The information in the modem's configuration file now shows as:

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2148000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 256000

Ignitionnet
14-01-2009, 16:40
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2148000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 256000

That's the former Telewest config file, clue being the slight overcapping on the downstream. The ex-ntl one was 2048000 / 200000.

Hrm wonder if there's any chance of 21,480,000 on the 20Mbit ;)

Axegrinder
14-01-2009, 20:50
Now the NTL side are starting to get that config as my mate is on 2mb and he now has that config.

LaineY
14-01-2009, 21:11
It is probably advised for you to upgrade your broadband service
especially for VOIP..

Ignitionnet
14-01-2009, 21:50
It is probably advised for you to upgrade your broadband service
especially for VOIP..

One would have to question how much of a broadband service it is if it can't manage a VoIP call. However my views on upstream are well known :angel: