PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

stepp
21-12-2008, 21:18
Now virgin have rolled out the 50meg service all others will suffer, this happened before with the 20 meg service.

I'm on 10 meg and yesterday and all today the speeds have been, and ill put this politely "****".

Why do i feel that virgin are screwing me over each time my bill comes through, i get capped, loss of service ( the latest one was an engineer "must of unplugged me by accident" from the box, this lost my phone for over a week before virgin could be arsed to sort it out.

Virgin are a joke outfit, i cant see them lasting another 3 years TBH.

Stephen
21-12-2008, 22:07
50MB is on a different level of service and will not effect any other broadband speeds! If you have a speed issue it will be something else.

Sometimes when working in the Cabs the techs can accidently knock some of the connections, its not deliberate! The engineers can be busy, its not that the can't be bothered with you.

I had to wait nearly a week before I got a tech out to fix my phone line and it was the same issue you had.

I don't think they are a joke, and I am not just saying that as I work for them. I am sorry you seem to have been having a few problems with your service.

General Maximus
21-12-2008, 23:18
luckily the 50mbit dudes cant be blamed for your speed problems at all, if anything, they will actually be helping you out because the 50mbit is on an entirely different network so everytime somebody like me has their connection upgraded and migrates across, we are actually freeing up bandwidth for you to use.

c64
21-12-2008, 23:42
No they are not they are just replacing the ones who migrated to 50meg with other users on already overloaded ubr's

ten people from your ubr switch from 20 to 50 meg the ubr was at 150% load it will still be at 150% load after the switch.

Stuart
22-12-2008, 00:38
No they are not they are just replacing the ones who migrated to 50meg with other users on already overloaded ubr's

ten people from your ubr switch from 20 to 50 meg the ubr was at 150% load it will still be at 150% load after the switch.

Because, of course, Virgin instantly have access to enough new customers to do this.. :rolleyes:

homealone
22-12-2008, 00:48

so some people will be better off, and no-one will be worse off - good news, then ;)

frogstamper
22-12-2008, 01:10
It surprises me why if some people are soooo unhappy with the service they receive from VM that they stay with them...there is a choice out there.:shrug:

slowcoach
22-12-2008, 02:02
Hobson's Choice, but thankfully we have a Government with foresight, Gordon is going to announce, after the Christmas break, funding to update the whole telecomms infrastructure thereby providing thousands of jobs now and to have the Country leading the World when the recession ends. ;)

Just another reason why the Tories will still be in opposition after the next General Election.

damien c
22-12-2008, 08:01
Just another reason why the Tories will still be in opposition after the next General Election.

Good joke.

jcardiff
22-12-2008, 08:26
It surprises me why if some people are soooo unhappy with the service they receive from VM that they stay with them...there is a choice out there.:shrug:

thats not true in all areas unfortunately

General Maximus
22-12-2008, 09:52
although there will probably be a net increase of customers in order for business to continue to grow, migrating across to docsis 3 will definitely help. Virgin have always maintained that it is the mere 9% of it's customer base (20mbit guys) that are consuming 95% of the bandwidth, so although it is unrealisitic to assume all of us are going to upgrade, we are all on 20mbit atm because we want the fastest speed available so even if we say half of us are going to get 50mbit and move over to docsis 3 that is going to halve the current load on docsis 1. There is no way you can assume that for everyone one of us that upgrades and migrates to docsis 3 that they are going to sign up another 20mbit user to take our place.

Milambar
22-12-2008, 11:05
I know the technical argument that 50mbps is on docsis 3, and therefore won't have any impact on the other users, I have to wonder if thats only true in theory.

Because since VM began rolling out 50mbps, my connection has turned ***** in terms of latency. Pages are taking noticably longer to load. They spend about 20 to 30 seconds on the "looking up xxxx" now, before loading the page, whereas previously, that was almost instant.

So please realise, theory isn't always true in practice. I do have a significant feeling that VM are robbing bandwidth off the 10 and 20mb customers to supply their new flagship with its 50mbps, if not bandwidth, then maybe something else, a higher processing priority on the dns servers/ubr's?

Kymmy
22-12-2008, 11:13
I know the technical argument that 50mbps is on docsis 3, and therefore won't have any impact on the other users, I have to wonder if thats only true in theory.

Because since VM began rolling out 50mbps, my connection has turned ***** in terms of latency.

Are you actually in an area that has 50Mb's yet??? If not then your arguement doesn;t hold much weight ;)

From another thread these are the areas that should have 50Mb as of the 19th Dec

- Dudley
- Hayes
- Bradford
- Glenrothes
- Dundee
- New York (Newcastle area)
- Liverpool
- Wigan
- Croyden
- Wolverhampton

broadbandbug
22-12-2008, 13:47

Because since VM began rolling out 50mbps, my connection has turned ***** in terms of latency. Pages are taking noticably longer to load. They spend about 20 to 30 seconds on the "looking up xxxx" now, before loading the page, whereas previously, that was almost instant.

So please realise, theory isn't always true in practice. I do have a significant feeling that VM are robbing bandwidth off the 10 and 20mb customers to supply their new flagship with its 50mbps, if not bandwidth, then maybe something else, a higher processing priority on the dns servers/ubr's?

You may be suffering DNS Issues, Routing & Peering Issues.. VM are not just rolling out 50Mb/s they are updating the infrastructure that supports Broadband i.e. DHCP, TFTP etc..

You should report your problems to VM.. If they don't get the fault reports they may not know there is a problem.

As for robbing bandwidth.. They have added 4 x QAM256 EuroDoCSIS Channels to every area that has got 50Mb/s, so that is an extra 200Mb/s to the Serving Area. Hardly taking anything away:shocked: