PDA

View Full Version : 50mbit area rollout plan, is it going to be made public?

|Kippa|
21-12-2008, 13:49
Just curious if the 50mbit area rollout plan is made public? If it is not public, are the going to make it public? I would just like a very rough idea when 50mbit is going to become available in my area. I am not looking for a specific date, just a rough idea.

General Maximus
21-12-2008, 14:25
it isn't public atm, i think they will probably release it mid-january depending on how things go. Atm they are supposed to be rolling out across 50 of the country and i think if that goes alright and there aren't any hickup they'll probably post dates for the rest of the country as they will have a good idea how long it is going to take them to ship the modems and arrange the engineer visits based on current demand.

oval73
21-12-2008, 14:29
From the support newsgroup --
they are planning to roll 50meg into the following regions. Installs
for
customers in these areas will most likely happen after Christmas.

15th December for launch (Makes up 5% of homes passed)

- Dudley
- Hayes
- Bradford
- Glenrothes
- Dundee
- New York (Newcastle area)

19th December (brings 50Mb to 10% of homes passed)

- Liverpool
- Wigan
- Croyden
- Wolverhampton

Hope this clarifies you query.

--
Kind regards
Paul McFly
VirginMedia Technical Support
Hope this helps

General Maximus
21-12-2008, 14:38
that is only what they are planning to do atm, we are talking about the rest of the country like Lincoln where I am

cnewton2k
21-12-2008, 15:09
General from what i have been told it will come to us in end of January beginning of february.

Will have to wait and see

General Maximus
21-12-2008, 15:44
"us" being you and me in Lincoln?

deathtrap3000
21-12-2008, 16:30
What about the london area, or more specifically, east london?

cnewton2k
21-12-2008, 16:33
"us" being you and me in Lincoln?

yep well am in Grimsby but we are normally doen at the same time

m419
21-12-2008, 17:04
You'd think they would start with London,Birmingham,Manchester,Glasgow,Liverpool,Yor k,Bradford ,Preston,Livingstone and Edinburgh first considering the amount of businesses in those areas.

London has quite a few franchises:

Cable London which was originally owned by Comcast and Telewest, then NTL and Telewest and then Telewest wholly owned and now Virgin Media,this franchise covers:

Camden: Kings Cross,Regents Park,Euston,Hampstead,Belsize Park,Kentish Town ect...
Harringey: Wood Green,Tottenham,Harringey,Muswell Hill,Highgate,Crouch End
Hackney: Clapton,Manor House,Dalston,Hoxton and Shoreditch
Islington: Holloway,Archway,Finsbury Park,Angel,Kings cross-Islington part,Pentonville
Enfield: Ponders End,Winchmore Hill,Palmers Green,Enfield Lock,Southbury

NTL ex-BT franchise:

Westminster covering Mayfair,Victoria,Marble Arch,Lancaster Gate,Queensway,Baker Street,Marylebolne,Westbourne Grove,Paddington,Maida Vale,Warwick avenue,Queens Park,St Johns wood,Pimlico,west side of Regents park,Soho and Charing Cross.

Ex-NTL Cable and Wireless Bell Cable Media:

Bushey
Watford
Newham: Stratford,Forest Gate,Canary Wharf
Redbridge: Ilford,Upminster
Leyton
Romford
Barking
West Ham
Tower Hamlets incl Stepney Green,Mile End,Bethnal Green,Whitechapel and Plaistow
Epping Forest
Wlathamstow

Ex-NTL Videotron Cable and Wireless(The largest):

Barnet: Golders Green,Brent cross,Hendon,Cricklewood,Stanmore,Totteridge,Hadle y
Brent: Neasden,Wembley,Willesden
Bexley: Erith,Belvedere,Thamesmead
Greenwich: Plumstead,Abbey Wood ect.
Ealing
Harrow
Wimbledon: Morden,New Malden,South Wimbledon and Tooting
Wandsworth: Balham,Battersea,Barnes
Lambeth: Kennington,Brixton,Clapham
Southwark: Camberwell,Elephant and castle,Peckham
Bromley
Hammersmith&fulham: Shepherds bush,White city,Ravenscourt park
Kensington&Chelsea: North Kensington,Ladbroke grove,Earls court,Notting hill,Holland park

General Cable and Telewest orginal areas:

Croydon
Hayes
Hillingdon
Uxbridge

Cable Corp ex telewest:

Hounslow
Slough
Langley
Osterley

Quite a few areas there to upgrade!

Does anyone know how many franchises are in Manchester? I know its mostly Nynex ex Cable and Wireless but did Bell cable have a franchise there?

Gavin78
21-12-2008, 20:36
You seem to forget Leeds as a main area I would have thought this would have been on the first port of call list considering its size

General Maximus
21-12-2008, 21:05
screw everyone else, lets get Lincoln done first :)

confucious
21-12-2008, 21:48

:)

Then Woking!

i-Set
21-12-2008, 21:52
what about the Garden of England :D

ccarmock
21-12-2008, 22:06
Ex-NTL Videotron Cable and Wireless(The largest):

Barnet: Golders Green,Brent cross,Hendon,Cricklewood,Stanmore,Totteridge,Hadle y
Brent: Neasden,Wembley,Willesden
Bexley: Erith,Belvedere,Thamesmead
Greenwich: Plumstead,Abbey Wood ect.
Ealing
Harrow
Wimbledon: Morden,New Malden,South Wimbledon and Tooting
Wandsworth: Balham,Battersea,Barnes
Lambeth: Kennington,Brixton,Clapham
Southwark: Camberwell,Elephant and castle,Peckham
Bromley
Hammersmith&fulham: Shepherds bush,White city,Ravenscourt park
Kensington&Chelsea: North Kensington,Ladbroke grove,Earls court,Notting hill,Holland park

Morden, New Malden etc aren't ex-NTL they are ex-Telewest, and before that were United Artists

Stephen
21-12-2008, 22:12
I know that Renfrew(Glasgow) is meant to be April time.

nutellajunkie
22-12-2008, 12:34
maybe April 1st, stephen? ;)
Never had a problem with our area, so I look forward to users being punted onto another thingymajig and leave us 10mb users to get on with it :)

Ignitionnet
22-12-2008, 14:55
I am interested in if those rollouts include customers on hubsites of those, for example there are a few hubsites off Croydon, would these receive the upgrade along with their headend?

My own connection goes to Croydon's headend via a hubsite, but I am presently not eligible for 50Mbit.

General Maximus
22-12-2008, 15:21
same for me, Lincoln comes under Nottingham but they don't get done at the same time. When they posted the 20mbit rollout schedule last year they posted separate dates for nottingham, lincoln and 2 other areas although we are all the same main bit.

ollie2001
22-12-2008, 18:25
What are these upgrades actually entailing? Are they having to replace physical equipment or just doing software upgrades?

broadbandbug
22-12-2008, 19:14
What are these upgrades actually entailing? Are they having to replace physical equipment or just doing software upgrades?

No they are installing an entire new CMTS Platform to provide 50Mb/s using DoCSIS 3.0 and to enable migration of 20Mb/s to DoCSIS 2.0. So it is all new kit including modems.

ollie2001
22-12-2008, 19:23
Big job then I guess, I'll give them a couple of months ;)

jcm193
22-12-2008, 21:08
No they are installing an entire new CMTS Platform to provide 50Mb/s using DoCSIS 3.0 and to enable migration of 20Mb/s to DoCSIS 2.0. So it is all new kit including modems.

I wonder if the new modem is going to be the same as they are using for the 50 meg service,if so I hope there not expecting the existing 20 meg customers to pay out for it.

BenMcr
22-12-2008, 22:04
It's not a new modem for 20Mbit customers! Only the 50Mbit customer get new modems

Dai
03-01-2009, 19:11

especially LN1

;)

ontheball
03-01-2009, 19:25
Why dudley first

BenMcr
03-01-2009, 19:34
Why not?

Impz2002
03-01-2009, 20:03
There is obviously some logic in the order area's are being upgraded. Its all down to the network engineers. Just because one area has a high penetration of customers dosnt mean it will receive the upgrade first. I imagine it will be based on the state of the exsisting network and the cost involved in doing the work. Everyone needs to be patient !

You'd think they would start with London,Birmingham,Manchester,Glasgow,Liverpool,Yor k,Bradford ,Preston,Livingstone and Edinburgh first considering the amount of businesses in those areas.

York is a hubsite from the leeds headend by the way !

impz

Nedkelly
03-01-2009, 20:11
It depends on how much kit is needed and what needs to be changed in the headends/hubsites and then checking the network in the street .Lincoln is being done before Grimsby /Scunthorpe :)

General Maximus
04-01-2009, 01:10
yeehaw, it will be nice to be done first for once. I think we were about two thirds of the way down the list last time.

chilliman
07-01-2009, 13:17
I saw an ad on TV for 50mb last night, I'm in Kempston, Bedford, not available here either yet. Seems a bit pointless advertising something they cannot provide for a while. I've not read this whole thread so have seen nothing about the cost, on digitalspy it's said to cost £51 a month, I have 20mb and think £37 is shocking enough!

BenMcr
07-01-2009, 14:42
I've not read this whole thread so have seen nothing about the cost, on digitalspy it's said to cost £51 a month, I have 20mb and think £37 is shocking enough!
Maybe next time you should either read the whole thing before commenting or do a bit of research first.

Its £51 a month if you don't have a phone line or £35 if you do have a Virgin Phone

www.virginmedia.com/50 (http://www.virginmedia.com/50)

smee init
07-01-2009, 15:12
Maybe next time you should either read the whole thing before commenting or do a bit of research first.

Its £51 a month if you don't have a phone line or £35 if you do have a Virgin Phone

Making it £46 in total with phone line, always read the small print lol

BenMcr
07-01-2009, 15:21
Its not in the small print

It says on the main page in large letters:

How much is it?

Get the fastest broadband in the land, from £35 a month
plus line rental

Ignitionnet
07-01-2009, 16:23
Good, now where's the rollout schedule? :p:

Rik
07-01-2009, 21:04
Yeah come on VM, i cant wait to give you my £51 a month ;)

Remember Luton/Hemel network next!................................please

ufitm
07-01-2009, 21:16
Why dudley first
Not all dudley postcode areas have been done yet. Some come of
the Bromsgrove ubr ,i belive the Wolverhampton headend is where
it gets it's signal from , and i do not think all wolerhampton is done yet
the Dudley postcodes that have not been done yet are DY10/11/12/13/14

chilliman
09-01-2009, 20:07

So I was right then :rolleyes:

Noggo
09-01-2009, 20:19
I can't see the point in having just 50Meg on it's own. If you're going to get it you may as well save yourself £5 / month and get the phone included. Then use it just to ring Virgin Media, if and when you encounter any problems.

Fatec
10-01-2009, 07:22
Do you guys realise VM have had -very- little take up for 50Mbit in rolled out area's? hardly anyone is interested :D

And those that are...having nothing but problems with it!

ntluser
10-01-2009, 07:50
Its not in the small print

It says on the main page in large letters:

How much is it?

Get the fastest broadband in the land, from £35 a month
plus line rental

I'm currently on the VIP package taking telephone,TV and broadband. I pay £37 for 20mb. What's the cost of the 50mb service to me please?

HSp8
10-01-2009, 07:54
similar to the above, I have a phone line with VM but not on any special phone package (just pay for the calls)

what would be 50Mb cost for me?

ntluser
10-01-2009, 08:07
Any chance we could have an ongoing sticky which lists the areas which have been updated to 50mb please?

General Maximus
10-01-2009, 12:09
Do you guys realise VM have had -very- little take up for 50Mbit in rolled out area's? hardly anyone is interested :D

Excellent, to sweeten the deal hopefully they'll think about scrapping their stupid £50 connection fee

Ignitionnet
10-01-2009, 13:00

Should've rolled it out in somewhat more affluent areas to be honest, I am not convinced that Warrington, Dudley, Dundee, Croydon, et al are famous for having enormous amounts of disposal income, no offense meant to those present there ;)

Maybe it was released where there was the highest take up of 20Mbit though. If people are loaded they probably aren't using the internet that much at home.

I wonder if some goodness has appeared here...

C:\Documents and Settings\Broadbandings>nslookup mort-cmts-05.network.virginmedia.com
Server: air.setup
Address: 192.168.11.1

*** air.setup can't find mort-cmts-05.network.virginmedia.com: Non-existent domain

Bleh, denied! :dunce:

Jabbs
10-01-2009, 20:38
I can't see the point of 50 meg tbh, its only really going to appeal to leechers it offerers nothing for even heavy users that 20 can't give.

I get great speeds of my 20 meg connection 2.33mbs apart from when i have been shaped, i can't see the point in having anything faster really.

Ignitionnet
10-01-2009, 21:13
Quite, give it a better upstream as well and it might start finding its' purpose, but with the current upstream as it is it doesn't give a great deal over the 20Mbit package.

BenMcr
10-01-2009, 21:25
And the better upload will be coming once the full rollout is complete ;)

Fatec
10-01-2009, 21:52

I'd hardly class 2.5Mbit upload + STM + DPI as better ;)

Ignitionnet
10-01-2009, 23:15

And what Ben makes it doable then and not now? Why aren't 50M customer starting off with the better upload? Seems a bit half backsided to get the 50M released and have to upgrade the upload later, so I'm sure that there are some very good reasons why :)

BenMcr
10-01-2009, 23:28
Because the technology there is to offer bonded channels for download, but not bonded upload

Come next year the tech will offer bonded uploads as well, which will possibly mean 2.5Mbit upstream

General Maximus
10-01-2009, 23:31
hopefully by next year they will be in a position (hopefully forced into it by the competition) to increase the upload to 5mbit

Rik
10-01-2009, 23:31
Im rich please roll it out here ;)

These Bluray rips are painfully slow at 2.35MB/s ;)

Ignitionnet
11-01-2009, 00:36
Because the technology there is to offer bonded bchannels for download, but not bonded upload

Come next year the tech will offer bonded uploads as well, which will possibly mean 2.5Mbit upstream

Being mean care to explain how other operators are offering 5-10Mbit without bonded uploads using the same or more restrictive technology than VM have available?

---------- Post added at 00:36 ---------- Previous post was at 00:34 ----------

Im rich please roll it out here ;)

These Bluray rips are painfully slow at 2.35MB/s ;)

Yet those uploads rock so hard at 0.09MB/s.

Doesn't look so good in those terms ;)

Rik
11-01-2009, 08:56
Yet those uploads rock so hard at 0.09MB/s.

Doesn't look so good in those terms ;)

Uploading?
What is this you talk of oh cleverest techy person on forums? ;)

Does that mean I have to give something back? :D

ufitm
11-01-2009, 11:37
Has anyone heard what areas will be done next ? . Just before Xmas
i rang to try and find out when my area will be done?, and got through
to the 50mg team , and they told me it should be middle of this month
start of next (stc) heard nothing yet , do they phone or email you to let you know or do you have to contacted them
regards abc

ntluser
11-01-2009, 11:53
Has anyone heard what areas will be done next ? . Just before Xmas
i rang to try and find out when my area will be done?, and got through
to the 50mg team , and they told me it should be middle of this month
start of next (stc) heard nothing yet , do they phone or email you to let you know or do you have to contacted them
regards abc

That's why I asked the moderators if we could have an ongoing sticky to which forum members could refer.

To some extent, it would save forum members having to post about their individual location.

BenMcr
11-01-2009, 15:41
Although a sticky might be useful, as it stands this page http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/50Mb/check-availability_E.do will tell everyone if they can get it or not

If you can get it, you can order it. If you can't get it you can register to be contacted once it has launched in your area

ntluser
11-01-2009, 16:22
Although a sticky might be useful, as it stands this page http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/50Mb/check-availability_E.do will tell everyone if they can get it or not

If you can get it, you can order it. If you can't get it you can register to be contacted once it has launched in your area

Cheers,Ben. Thanks for that.

Robertus
12-01-2009, 19:39

So when's DPI coming into play?

When will STM be applied?

I want 50mb but I don't want to buy into it then have it crippled.

ufitm
12-01-2009, 20:26

I want 50mb but I don't want to buy into it then have it crippled.

Ben

There is a fault in there registration page i fill it in with my details and tick
the i aggre box but when i press continue button it comes with error
message details not right and when i look to see what it is , it has added the last figure of my std code to my phone no this happens every time i try., (and yes i do put my number in correct),so that is why i have been posting on here.

Rik
12-01-2009, 20:28

I dont believe there is a person on these forums that can answer those questions with any degree of accuracy im afraid.

General Maximus
12-01-2009, 20:43
I can think of 2 people who already know but they can't say anything otherwise they'll get their bottoms smacked

Ignitionnet
12-01-2009, 22:26
I hope you don't think I'm one of them - I'm not!

General Maximus
13-01-2009, 18:03
why not? I am not trying to be cheesy but you know everything. I don't know whether you work for VM or not but even if you don't, you know an awful lot about their infrastructure and pretty much everything else about them.

Ignitionnet
13-01-2009, 18:09
why not? I am not trying to be cheesy but you know everything. I don't know whether you work for VM or not but even if you don't, you know an awful lot about their infrastructure and pretty much everything else about them.

I used to work for them and I know the technology quite well, but the specifics of how, what, where and why VM are doing things I don't know. I might know what I consider to be best practise but I can't always comment with any accuracy on VM's implementations.

Just a warning, much as I'd love to know everything.

Zhadnost
13-01-2009, 21:20
Please, we don't know if anyone yet knows when these things are going to come into play.