PDA

View Full Version : Free Router Deals?

Zain
18-12-2008, 20:52
Hey,

A mate of mine phoned up Virgin Media requesting for a free router, they said they are currently doing free router deals at the moment has anyone else heard of this? his on the 20mb broadband package.

Cheers.

General Maximus
18-12-2008, 21:07
in my humble opinion, if it is free it ain't worth havin. You would be better off coughing up £30 and buying yourself a decent, branded, unaltered (VM change the settings) router and then at least you know everything is going to work alright and have you got a decent piece of equipment. This is why I am not happy paying the £50 "activation" fee for 50mbit, i don't need or want their wireless and usb stick. I would rather sell them for whatever i can get for them and buy my own.

icestar2
18-12-2008, 21:09
Hmmm I know you can get one if you upgrade to 50mb and also theres always deals for new customers for free routers and stuff but I've not heard of anything for exsisting customers tbh.

I dont think you can just phone up and get one for free unless maybe your changing your package but am sure on of the more knowledgeable guys/girls will post better information.

ufitm
18-12-2008, 21:13
Hey,

A mate of mine phoned up Virgin Media requesting for a free router, they said they are currently doing free router deals at the moment has anyone else heard of this? his on the 20mb broadband package.

Cheers.
I have heard of it and got one it is a netgear wgr614v9 wireless -g router.
will have to be changed if you go on 50meg service, and i am a existing customer

Joxer
18-12-2008, 23:25
50Mb customer will be getting a free wireless N router and dongle, original Netgear fimrware and if you phone tech support for help you will be directed to call Netgear. Not sure for how long.

LaineY
19-12-2008, 02:52
Virgin Media are doing free router deals if you sign up to certain packages as a new customer as its part of a contracted deal.

Check the Virgin Media Website.. and the "small print"

If you are simply calling up as an existing customer to ask for a free router.. it will cost £47.50.

£40 = router
£7.50 = Delivery

and if required USB Dongle for PC / Laptop or PCMCIA Card for laptop its £20 each

50MB Customers will be given a free router as you are technically paying for that at install anyway. its part of the deal.

Current Deals:-
New Customers:
£8 a month for the first 6 months Then £16 a month after
When you take the deal out with a Virgin phone line @ £11 AKA £27 a month
Thats if you take BB Size L and a M Phone
Free Router with that.

Or

£10 a month for the first 6 months.. £20 a month after that
When you take a virgin phone line for £11 AKA £31
If you take Out BB SIZE XL and Phone M
Free Wireless Router

All Deals are quoted on the Virgin Media website..
if you click Special Offers to the left..

Then choose
"Want To Join Us?"
Or
"Already With Us?"

_______ The Small Print I Was Talking About________

Free wireless router offer: - Wireless enabled equipment required. Available to all new Broadband customers taking our Size: L and Size: XL Broadband services (subject to status and credit checks). A non-refundable, one time service charge of £40 will apply to all new Broadband customers taking our Size: M Broadband service and all existing Broadband customers taking the wireless router. Should you sign up to our Size: L or Size: XL Broadband service and subsequently downgrade to Size: M within your minimum contract period you will be required to pay the service charge for the wireless router, currently £40.

You must, at a minimum, take all services included in this bundle for your minimum contract term. If you change any part of this package, standard prices apply. Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer. Minimum computer requirements apply. Speed of internet connection assumes components working at optimum speed and capacity. Up to 10Mb rollout due to complete September 2008. Up to 10Mb rollout due to complete September 2008. Both cable and ADSL broadband are affected by user volume. Acceptable Use Policy applies. Fastest broadband claim based on Epitiro data for 01/10/07 to 31/12/07 (up to 20Mb cable broadband versus ADSL Max).

General: Installation charges apply (starting from £30 for standard install and, subject to availability, from £15 for Quickstart self-install). Payment may be required in advance. All prices include VAT. Prices quoted are for payment by Direct Debit and e-billing. If you pay by non-Direct Debit methods you will incur a monthly £5 charge, payable to Virgin Media Payments, for payment handling services. Customers not taking the e-bill discount will have £1 per month added for paper bills. Calls may be monitored. These terms and conditions are in addition to and form part of our standard customer service contract.

techtrouble
19-12-2008, 03:05
I have the 10meg broadband and they sent me a free netgear router. In fact they sent me two, I was on their system as a non-cable area but that was wrong so the area manager came out to my house and did a manual order.. then once it went on the system..I got another one too!

LaineY
19-12-2008, 03:18
in my humble opinion, if it is free it ain't worth havin. You would be better off coughing up £30 and buying yourself a decent, branded, unaltered (VM change the settings) router and then at least you know everything is going to work alright and have you got a decent piece of equipment. This is why I am not happy paying the £50 "activation" fee for 50mbit, i don't need or want their wireless and usb stick. I would rather sell them for whatever i can get for them and buy my own.

you cant sell them..

They remain VM's Equipment
The legal stuff
1. HD-ready screen required.
2. Acceptable usage policy applies.
3. Equipment remains property of Virgin Media.
Source from This Link (www.virginmedia.com/50)

Not sure if that means Modem and Router or just Modem..

Im guessing by Equipment they meant all of it.

techtrouble
19-12-2008, 14:56
Not sure if that means Modem and Router or just Modem..

Im guessing by Equipment they meant all of it.

As they have given you the free router, it belongs to you.
The modem is necessary as part of the connection so this will be theirs.

whydoIneedatech
19-12-2008, 19:18
As they have given you the free router, it belongs to you.
The modem is necessary as part of the connection so this will be theirs.
No as the Terms and Conditions state the router remains the property of Virginmedia .

The legal stuff

1. HD-ready screen required.
2. Acceptable usage policy (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/acceptableuse.html) applies.
3. Equipment remains property of Virgin Media.

As per this LINK (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/50Mb/index.do)

General Maximus
19-12-2008, 20:56
so if i am understanding this correctly they want me to pay £50 for a router which I don't want or need and then there is a chance they are going to ask for it back?

Joxer
20-12-2008, 00:03
That's a bit weird about the router, having the superscript 3, but the modem doesn't. So the router remains the property of Virgin Media (though supported by Netgear) but the modem doesn't (no superscript 3). Methinks a typo?

techtrouble
20-12-2008, 04:37
How can they offer the router as free if they can ask for it back?
the modem isn't mentioned as "free" although it is, this is because it will remain theirs.

LaineY
20-12-2008, 08:22
No..

You are not actually paying for the router

£30 is Engineer fee
and
£50 is Activation Fee

Thats if we are talking about the 50MB Service here...

As far as im aware on any other package... (M/L/XL Broadband) if you pay for the router and dongles.. they are yours to keep.