PDA

View Full Version : 50mb Nightmare!

Goffski
18-12-2008, 13:07
Received my new modem yesterday, plugged it all in and rang 151 to get it all activated, was on the phone for well over two hours before they decided there was a problem and it would take up to 7 days to be fixed.

I asked to if they could re-activate my old modem as i couldn't not have the internet for 7 days. This caused even more problems and in the end i gave up and decided to try again today (total 3.5 hours on the phone).

Spoke to several people today, eventually one telling me the only thing they could do was send an engineer out tomorrow. Not sure why i need an engineer as it was fine at my end until they tried to upgrade me.

Decided to call them back again, finally getting to speak to someone who knew what they were doing and spotted what was wrong straight away, he said he would pass it onto IT and get back to me once it's been resolved. He told me there was noting and engineer could do so he would cancel them for me.

Just spotted i now have my connection back and its working through my new modem, but i'm still on my old speed, about 19mb down and .72mb up.

Im guessing they've not put me on the new 50mb as yet, but i will question this once they guy gets back to me letting me know its all sorted.

I guess this is why you need an engineer to come and get it all set up for you, obviously they can speak to someone at VM who we don't have access to via 151.

Stephen
18-12-2008, 13:11
50MB is only available with an engineer visit.

They wouldn't have posted you a modem!

Goffski
18-12-2008, 14:06
Im on a 50mb trial, i had the option of receiving the modem by courier, or an engineer install, in the email asking me this it said only 20 engineer installs were available. I choose the courier option and it arrived yesterday by UPS.

southwell
18-12-2008, 14:10
Why would you have the trial now when it's been released? Or do they trial different areas?

Goffski
18-12-2008, 14:16
No too sure, but it was offered to me over a month ago, eventually i got confirmation i would receive the modem on Wed 17th. Think its for 2 months but they've not actually given me an end date as yet.

Just on the phone to them now as trying to find out why im still on the 20mb package.

broadbandking
18-12-2008, 14:22
If your in Dudley then there has been a outage and gonna be fixed until xmas

Goffski
18-12-2008, 14:36
No, i'm in Warrington, but i'm now being told the reason why i'm still on 20mb and not 50mb is it's not yet available in the Warrington area! The modem was sent out by mistake!

broadbandking
18-12-2008, 16:09
Well that's strange warrington is a trial area as was set up for the trial couple of weeks before the release

Bigmaca
18-12-2008, 16:24
I'm in warrington, I opted for the engineer install and he came out this morning, installed it (first modem was DOD and the second works)

All great (46mb through a router)49.7mb on direct connection but still got DNS issues and some very slow loading pages/timeouts due to DNS issue.

Goffski
18-12-2008, 16:41
I'm in warrington, I opted for the engineer install and he came out this morning, installed it (first modem was DOD and the second works)

All great (46mb through a router)49.7mb on direct connection but still got DNS issues and some very slow loading pages/timeouts due to DNS issue.

Wish i had gone for that option as so far its bee nothing but trouble! I've finally spoke to someone who's now upped my account to the XXL and said it would be in place in half an hour but i've still not seen and speed increase.

Still having lots of slow loading, and pages timing out, its been like this since Sunday.

Bigmaca
18-12-2008, 16:55
Make sure when u reboot the modem, wait for all 5 blue lights to go solid before you power up your router.

Goffski
18-12-2008, 17:11
Back on the phone, they're still telling i'm on the XL service and not the XXL. How hard can it be to change these things?

Bigmaca
18-12-2008, 17:27
I must of been on to them same time as me when they was tell me my router doesnt use DNS anymore.

Goffski
18-12-2008, 17:33
Quick update, im now being told it's not possible to add it to my account and they don't have the facility to do it.

Bigmaca - was it the engineer who rang up to get your account upgraded to XXL or did you do it? If so any idea of what department they spoke to and on what number? Cheers.

chickendippers
18-12-2008, 17:43
Have you tried the virginmedia.support.broadband.cable newsgroup? It's staffed by second level techs in Liverpool I believe. http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/

BenMcr
18-12-2008, 18:18
Phone 151, speak to TSC and get them to put through to the 50Mbit trial support team

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Customer Care are not yet dealing with adding XXL onto accounts (all orders this week are being booked on by sales), and they weren't involved in the trial orders either (keyed on by an admin team)

Bigmaca
18-12-2008, 18:53
Quick update, im now being told it's not possible to add it to my account and they don't have the facility to do it.

Bigmaca - was it the engineer who rang up to get your account upgraded to XXL or did you do it? If so any idea of what department they spoke to and on what number? Cheers.

It was booked through the guy sending the email about the pilot. I chose the time slot on the website and they arrived.

Goffski
18-12-2008, 19:06
Seems impossible to get put through to the Trial Support team, and they keep telling me its not available in this area. They also can't understand how i can be on a trial when they are rolling it out. This really is a joke!

parky
18-12-2008, 19:07

That is the same issue I am having with my 10MB connection and I'm in Warrington. I can't get to some sites at all and pages fail to load completely.

I managed to solve it by using a proxy server for now. But I spent over 3 hours on the phone to VM who insisted it was at my end even though it affected 2 Macs and a PC, even when connected directly to the modem.

Looks like there is a technical issue in the Warrington area.

Goffski
18-12-2008, 21:10
Ok another update to this,

I'm now finally getting somewhere, i received incorrect info with my modem yesterday and should have never called 151 to get it activated like it instructed me to do so. No one on that number is able to help out and i should have been given a different number to call to get it activated. This is where all the problems have come from, and with a bit of luck it will be sorted out for me tomorrow.

As for the slow page loads posted in another thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33643061-internet-issues-dns-or-what.html), this issue has been fixed for now, so it almost feels like i've got 50mb now after days of very slow browsing.

LaineY
19-12-2008, 04:05
Thats good mate glad to see things are getting back on the straight and narrow.

keep us posted and let us know if you get the problem resolved.

Also if you can .. let us know how you got it resolved..

Cheers

Goffski
19-12-2008, 18:11
Finally, i'm in business!!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/12/16.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Bigmaca
19-12-2008, 18:24
is that direct or through modem?

Goffski
19-12-2008, 18:28
That was wired into my router. Wireless it much slower, more like the speeds i was getting on 20mb. See the last page of the Area by Area (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33641481-area-by-area-true-speed-page-13.html) thread, i've posted both on there.

BenMcr
19-12-2008, 19:26
You on Wireless G or Wireless N?

Goffski
20-12-2008, 13:41
You on Wireless G or Wireless N?

N

broadbandbug
20-12-2008, 14:58
Finally, i'm in business!!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/12/16.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

With you still being within the first 500 people to get 50Mb/s in the UK, I would hope you might have expected a few niggles.
The technology being used here is new in the world not just to the UK.. The first services using this technology in Europe only went live in April.. So not a lot of real world experience yet.

Glad you got it sorted eventually.. hopefully you are getting the product you expect (especially as you are not paying any extra for it over your 20Mb/s costs!):D

hokkers999
20-12-2008, 15:03
[snip] The technology being used here is new in the world not just to the UK.. [snip]

Really??? A quick google search suggests otherwise. Comcast are already at 20% penetration.

BenMcr
20-12-2008, 15:17
Yes, but that 20% is from a rollout which only started this year, and officially launched in October (http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/10/22/comcast.docsis.3.expands/)

Last year no-one had a full scale DOCSIS 3 network. In fact, the Kent trials were probably one of the first deployments of the technology

Goffski
20-12-2008, 15:21
I would hope you might have expected a few niggles.

I think thats an understatement. The problem wasn't down to the XXL service, it was down to the VM staff who didn't have a clue, but seemed to think they knew what they were talking about. I had to laugh when i told the guy i got the new modem off eBay! "where did you get your new modem from?" "Where the hell do you think it got it from???"

Another good one was

Me: "Can i speak to someone from the 50mb Trial Support Team please?"

VM: "Can you unplug your modem then plug it back in again, and then tell me what lights are on please sir?"

Me: "Why? Will that help in getting me connected the the correct person quicker?"

And i'm not joking!

AbyssUnderground
21-12-2008, 01:40
I think thats an understatement. The problem wasn't down to the XXL service, it was down to the VM staff who didn't have a clue, but seemed to think they knew what they were talking about. I had to laugh when i told the guy i got the new modem off eBay! "where did you get your new modem from?" "Where the hell do you think it got it from???"

Another good one was

Me: "Can i speak to someone from the 50mb Trial Support Team please?"

VM: "Can you unplug your modem then plug it back in again, and then tell me what lights are on please sir?"

Me: "Why? Will that help in getting me connected the the correct person quicker?"

And i'm not joking!

Reading from a script as usual, lol. :D