PDA

View Full Version : 50mb Service Cost

ntluser
18-12-2008, 11:47
Not sure if this is correct but I heard the new 50mb broadband service costs £51 (per month without a VM phone service) and £35 per month if ordered with a VM phone service.

Just wondered what the truth is as there are customers out there with the VM phone service and a 20mb broadband service who are paying £37 per month for their broadband.

Can anyone clarify the situation please?

Stephen
18-12-2008, 11:49
This is true.

50MB is £51 or £52 without the ebilling service.

If you take the phone at £11 then the 50MB is £35 totaling £46 a month.

ntluser
18-12-2008, 11:54
This is true.

50MB is £51 or £52 without the ebilling service.

If you take the phone at £11 then the 50MB is £35 totaling £46 a month.

Thanks for the super-prompt reply.

Does this mean that customers on the 20mb service with a phone can expect a reduction please ?

Will Virgin Media be offering new bundles incorporating the 50mb service similar to the current VIP packages?

etccarmageddon
18-12-2008, 12:08
maybe they will bring out a higher version of the VIP package.

General Maximus
18-12-2008, 12:08
as stupid as it sounds it is cheaper to get 50mbit with a phone line than it is to have 20mbit atm.

As far as I am aware they haven't incorporated it into any of the packages yet so if you have got one of packages where you get your phone, tv and internet all for £XX, switching to 50mbit means you lose your discount and pay the full price for each individual thing.

NEONKNIGHT
18-12-2008, 12:58
Thanks for the super-prompt reply.

Does this mean that customers on the 20mb service with a phone can expect a reduction please ?

Will Virgin Media be offering new bundles incorporating the 50mb service similar to the current VIP packages?

Daft pricing like this has always been the case. Phone customer services and complain/query you may end up with a 'loyalty' discount, I did and got £25 knocked off the monthly bill for 12 months or until I change packages.

Bigmaca
18-12-2008, 13:00
I currently get xl tv, xl phone and xl BB (20m).
I'm told the 50mb service will be another £10 on top of what i pay now.

broadbandking
18-12-2008, 14:25
£10 extra on V.I.P

LaineY
18-12-2008, 14:35
£10 extra on V.I.P

10 pound extra if u also have XL services accross the board

v0id
18-12-2008, 18:16
I do think it's a bit daft that the combined price of 50Meg AND size M phone (and I presume size M TV, as it's free with the basic phone package) is cheaper than 20 Meg + phone:/

i-Set
18-12-2008, 19:22
shhhh dont tell vm that, otherwise they will change the price lol :D

The PIT
18-12-2008, 19:44
But what actual speed will you get. 2 or 3meg at peak times ????

UnReaL
18-12-2008, 21:42
There is no STM at the moment, so I assume since its Docsis 3, you'll have no problem maxing it out all day all night long, until and only until they introduce some form of throttling, it remains to be seen, but everyone will find out once its rolled out nationwide.

BenMcr
18-12-2008, 22:04
I do think it's a bit daft that the combined price of 50Meg AND size M phone (and I presume size M TV, as it's free with the basic phone package) is cheaper than 20 Meg + phone:/
All depends on what price you are paying at the moment.

The XXL broadband is £15 MORE than the current offer for XL Broadband and phone at £31 a month, but £2 CHEAPER if you are paying full non-discounted/bundled price of £48 (There will also be some people who are paying £39 for XL broadband and Phone M, so will be £7 more for XXL broadband)

It's no different than full price BB L and phone at £36 (£25 + £11) but you could probably upgrade to XL broadband for £5 less

Horace
18-12-2008, 23:34
VM need to produce an Excel sheet to allow prospective subscribers work out how much they're likely to pay :) .

BenMcr
18-12-2008, 23:41
Anyone upgrading to 50Mbit should be moved across to the best current bundle price for their services (if they are not on it already) + the additional cost for XXL broadband

Joxer
18-12-2008, 23:43
An Open Office spreadsheet if you please.

Though Open Office can open Excel spreadsheets, not sure about the other way round...

hokkers999
18-12-2008, 23:46
All depends on what price you are paying at the moment.

The XXL broadband is £15 MORE than the current offer for XL Broadband and phone at £31 a month, but £2 CHEAPER if you are paying full non-discounted/bundled price of £48 (There will also be some people who are paying £39 for XL broadband and Phone M, so will be £7 more for XXL broadband)

It's no different than full price BB L and phone at £36 (£25 + £11) but you could probably upgrade to XL broadband for £5 less

What???

I have phone + m (2meg) broadband, the base price of those two is £25/month. I have the unlimited calls (chargeable extra) and a free 2nd line.

But i can get phone line + 50 meg internet for £36?

BenMcr
18-12-2008, 23:55
I think this covers everything ;)

EVERYONE pays £30 engineer install fee + £50 set up fee

On the 2 for £20 (Phone M + BB M) its an extra £26 (£11 to up to XL + £15 to go to XXL) = £46 - This is the cheapest it can be

On the 3 for £30 (Phone M + BB M + TV L) its an extra £26 (£11 to up to XL + £15 to go to XXL) = £56

On £44 bundle (i.e the Christmas one, Phone M, BB L, TV XL) its an extra £27 (£12 to up to XL + £15 to go to XXL) = £71

Basically the best value minimum if you have all three services and want XXL is the 3 for £56/Triple XL (Phone XL, TV XL, and normally BB XL) with 50Mbit for £66

XL Plus + XXL is £10 extra = £75

VIP + XXL is £10 extra = £96

People on Loyalty Bundles I think will have to pay the full price increase (or swap back onto a standard bundle if better value):
An extra £34 if you have BB M,
An extra £27 if you have BB L
An extra £15 if you have BB XL

---------- Post added at 23:55 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

Hopefully that is clear enough

hokkers999
19-12-2008, 00:06
[snip] People on Loyalty Bundles I think will have to pay the full price increase (or swap back onto a standard bundle if better value):

You forgot to add in being striped for £50 "activation fee" - that's a real con. How much does it cost them for *me* to plug in a new modem :mad:

homealone
19-12-2008, 00:07
I think this covers everything ;)

On the 2 for £20 (Phone M + BB M) its an extra £26 (£11 to up to XL + £15 to go to XXL) = £46 - This is the cheapest it can be

On the 3 for £30 (Phone M + BB M + TV L) its an extra £26 (£11 to up to XL + £15 to go to XXL) = £56

On £44 bundle (i.e the Christmas one, Phone M, BB L, TV XL) its an extra £27 (£12 to up to XL + £15 to go to XXL) = £71

Basically the best value minimum if you have all three services and want XXL is the 3 for £56/Triple XL (Phone XL, TV XL, and normally BB XL) with 50Mbit for £66

XL Plus + XXL is £10 extra = £75

VIP + XXL is £10 extra = £96

People on Loyalty Bundles I think will have to pay the full price increase (or swap back onto a standard bundle if better value):

It is perfectly clear, as you present it, but how would my current 'package' be described if I called in

Total service charges
£71.75

Includes VAT at the appropriate rate(s)

Advance charges
£72.75

Description Date/period Amount
Line Rental 10 December - 09 January £11.00
Talk International 10 December - 09 January £1.50
Talk Mobile 10 December - 09 January £1.50
Talk Unlimited 10 December - 09 January £7.95
Calldispl 10 December - 09 January £1.75
Payg Dial Up 10 December - 09 January £0.00
TV Size: X L 10 December - 09 January £22.00
1 Additional V Box 10 December - 09 January £15.00
V+ Box 10 December - 09 January £10.00
Add Set Box(es) Discount 10 December - 09 January £-10.00
Phone, TV & BB Saving 10 December - 09 January £-24.95
Broadband Size: X L 10 December - 09 January £37.00

Service other
£-1.00

Description Date Amount
E Bill Discount 10 December £-1.00

??

- and what would I be likely to pay in order to add XXL ?

BenMcr
19-12-2008, 00:11
You are on the XL Plus so would pay an extra £10 a month (plus £80 one off payment)

BTW you are currently paying £5 too much ;)

---------- Post added at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

You forgot to add in being striped for £50 "activation fee"
Added to the post

homealone
19-12-2008, 00:20
You are on the XL Plus so would pay an extra £10 a month (plus £80 one off payment)

BTW you are currently paying £5 too much ;)

thanks - they 'forgot' to charge me an installation fee for V+, so I guess it evens out ;)

- on the plus side it may be only £5 pm extra plus the installation for XXL - when our area is enabled, anyway ...

Your input is much appreciated, thank you very much :tu:

i-Set
19-12-2008, 01:08
what I do not understand is Ben, why do we need to pay 50 pounds when we already have an activated line? and why 30 pounds for engineer when some could install it their selves,

to me it looks likes 50 quid free one off money for vm pockets and 30 quid which is charged for new customers when engineer has to do a lot of work, such as fit new box, run cables etc, for 50mb there is not MUCH work like that....or have I got it wrong? :rolleyes:

InfiniteBiscuit
19-12-2008, 01:51
what I do not understand is Ben, why do we need to pay 50 pounds when we already have an activated line? and why 30 pounds for engineer when some could install it their selves,

to me it looks likes 50 quid free one off money for vm pockets and 30 quid which is charged for new customers when engineer has to do a lot of work, such as fit new box, run cables etc, for 50mb there is not MUCH work like that....or have I got it wrong? :rolleyes:

It's so that Virgin Media make mula. Plain and simple.

The engineers cost money, the upgrades cost money, the modems will probably cost a hell of a lot of money, and for all the people getting the XXL broadband alone (and stumping up £51) there'll be 10 people who are on some form of package, and not paying the full premium. It makes sense for VM to slap on an upgrade fee, to at least make some money out of the package goers. Well, that's how I see it.

BenMcr
19-12-2008, 02:02
To be honest, that is exactly it. Remember when ADSL first launched and how much that cost? Remember although its the same wires, its completely new tech.

Personally I reckon they had a choice. Either a £50 set up fee or an extra £5 a month rental.

As for why no self install at the moment. TBH it can go wrong enough with the existing modems (old wiring, wrong signal levels for Broadband etc), let alone the 50Mbit ones. Vigin need to collect a lot more install experience before they can say that self installs will work enough of the time to be viable

whydoIneedatech
19-12-2008, 07:17

If you received a self install for 50Mb and you could not get it working then you would be on the phone to my 50Mb colleagues complaining plus you would post it on here saying why did they not send a tech.

If they just send out a modem how do you know that it will work as the power levels in the green cabinet may need adjusting or many other adjustments or fine tuning may be required.

You ask for 50Mb to be installed and you expect it to work so you have a Tech install it for you.

Pushkar
19-12-2008, 07:24
If you received a self install for 50Mb and you could not get it working then you would be on the phone to my 50Mb colleagues complaining plus you would post it on here saying why did they not send a tech.

If they just send out a modem how do you know that it will work as the power levels in the green cabinet may need adjusting or many other adjustments or fine tuning may be required.

You ask for 50Mb to be installed and you expect it to work so you have a Tech install it for you.

I wouldn't mind the £30 engineer install, but 50 quid for the router and what not as compulsory? I already have an Apple Wireless N, I don't need some crappy one that i'll never use again.

Croydon is apparently supposed to be able to order 50mb today (might explain why TV and Internet was down yesterday night-early morning), lets see if I can argue my way out of the 50 quid extra.

General Maximus
19-12-2008, 12:10
I am going to be the same. I could sort of understand if they said that the £50 was going to be for the modem because i know i need a new modem, but they are advertising the service with a free modem which means I am paying £50 for a router and usb stick which I neither want nor need. Since when are people forced to buy things they don't want. Whydoieedatech made a good point and i have no problemo paying for an engineer to come round and make sure everything is running alright, but that is what a separate charge is for.

Pushkar
19-12-2008, 12:39
I am going to be the same. I could sort of understand if they said that the £50 was going to be for the modem because i know i need a new modem, but they are advertising the service with a free modem which means I am paying £50 for a router and usb stick which I neither want nor need. Since when are people forced to buy things they don't want. Whydoieedatech made a good point and i have no problemo paying for an engineer to come round and make sure everything is running alright, but that is what a separate charge is for.

Spoke to the sales team and they understand the cost, but they can't do anything about it because they don't know much more than what we do. I'll probably end up ordering it and selling the router and stick on ebay to make up for that extra 50 quid.

Richy99
19-12-2008, 12:48
the modem and router are separate arent they? no one is making you use the router

Noggo
19-12-2008, 14:22
Spoke to the sales team and they understand the cost, but they can't do anything about it because they don't know much more than what we do. I'll probably end up ordering it and selling the router and stick on ebay to make up for that extra 50 quid.

The legal stuff from http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/50Mb/index.do

To celebrate the launch of our ultra fast broadband, we're offering a wireless router and adaptor, worth over £100, as part of your package (see note 3)!

HD-ready screen required.
Acceptable usage policy applies.
Equipment remains property of Virgin Media.

So the router and wireless adapter will remain VM's property, just in the same way the cable modem is always theirs.

hokkers999
19-12-2008, 14:47
The legal stuff from http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/50Mb/index.do

To celebrate the launch of our ultra fast broadband, we're offering a wireless router and adaptor, worth over £100, as part of your package (see note 3)!

HD-ready screen required.
Acceptable usage policy applies.
Equipment remains property of Virgin Media.

So the router and wireless adapter will remain VM's property, just in the same way the cable modem is always theirs.

1. Really? so I guess as I only have a 5 year old 32" SD telly I can't get it then :p:
2. No comment
3. Then why I am I paying £50 for it then?

It's either free and they stuff the £50, or it's mine as I've paid for it :confused:

UnReaL
19-12-2008, 16:15
When you get the 50mb modem, do they ask for the 20mb back?

i-Set
19-12-2008, 16:17
It's either free and they stuff the £50, or it's mine as I've paid for it :confused:

yhhhh what hooker said :D

Noggo
19-12-2008, 17:31
The router and adapter are supplied as part of the package, just the same as the cable modem is part of the package.

The notes I posted above, which are on the web link for 50Meg:
1. applies to watching HD video from the net
2. applies to unlimited downloads
3. applies to the equipment supplied by VM.

So the wireless router, adapter and modem (equipment) supplied by VM, remains their property. If however at the end of the contract they ask you to dispose of it, instead of them collecting or paying for postage to return. I suppose it's yours to do as you wish.

General Maximus
19-12-2008, 18:49
so we are paying £50 for equipment rental then?

BenMcr
19-12-2008, 18:56
No you are paying £50 to activate the 50Mbit service. This may or may not cover the cost of the router.

It is no different that the V+ pricing. You pay £150/£75 to have it installed, but you never own the box

saabmania2
19-12-2008, 19:22
i understand what you are saying benmcr but surely the £30 install fee would include activating it, i mean when you pay BT or SKY (JUST EXAMPLES) to install for you, you would want it to be working when they left. not to then have to pay an extra £50 to have it activated, and as for the wireless router existing customers do not get it so it makes the £50 payment even more of a rip off:(

InfiniteBiscuit
19-12-2008, 19:53
I'm not begrudging the cost of the service. In my household, I feel I'll be getting more bang for my buck for my needs. As I'll be going from VIP to triple XL plus XXL BB. The £30 & £50 is like a downgrade charge.

And remember kids, if that router or dongle goes wrong, with it being the property of VM; I should imagine that they'd replace it, like any other item they give you; that's their property.

v0id
19-12-2008, 19:59
No you are paying £50 to activate the 50Mbit service. This may or may not cover the cost of the router.

It is no different that the V+ pricing. You pay £150/£75 to have it installed, but you never own the box

You pay £30 installation AND a £50 activation fee

.... A one-off activation fee of £50 applies along with our standard £30 install fee.

General Maximus
19-12-2008, 21:00
so i am paying £30 for someone to come round to my house and actually do some work and test the line etc and do whatever they do to make sure everything is 100%, and then I am paying £50 to pay a phone call for someone to register my MAC address or upgrade my connection info?

Something doesn't sound quite right. Just as Saabmania said, you ring Sky up and the dude comes round and puts the dish up, runs the cables round, connects box to tv etc, makes sure it works and shows you how to use it. As far as i am concerned connection, installtion and activation are part of the same thing to get the service working and is what I am paying £30 for.

BenMcr
19-12-2008, 21:12
You have two choices

1) Pay it and get 50Mbit broadband

or

2) Don't pay it and don't get 50Mbit broadband

If you want to complain and see what happens, do so.

The only reason it is not listed at £80 set up fee is that at somepoint in the future Virgin may start doing self install for the 50Mbit. You would then pay £50 activation and £15 delivery

InfiniteBiscuit
19-12-2008, 21:15
We can all argue this out until we're blue in the face. The fact is, it's 50mb broadband.

Fifty megabits per second. Just say that aloud. There's a premium, because it's new, it's shiny, and it costs VM to do it.

Be will be offering upto 48mb soon. There'll be a premium for that. BT aren't going to say, "Oh, you need another line for faster broadband? We won't charge you a ridiculous amount to install that line, then." and then Be, who have always been reasonable with their prices, will likely charge you for whatever service you want; just short of twice. For instance, Be Pro at £21.50 ex VAT. They'll probably go "Bridged Be Pro upto 48mbps down, upto 5mbps up, for only £40 ex VAT per month."

Divvy it up, that's a fair whack of money when you take into account the two lines.

Line installation + line rental + broadband subscription = :(

BenMcr
19-12-2008, 21:15
If Virgin have priced it wrong, they will soon know when no-one orders 50Mbit.

Horace
19-12-2008, 22:20
I won't be getting it, the first time since I've been with VM/NTL that I'm not on the top tier, mainly because I can't justify it, even if it was £10 over what I'm paying now with no installation charge.
I can understand them charging the £80 though, all those modems and UBR upgrades (which will benefit all users) have to be paid for and when you consider that BT charge £120 for a bit of copper wire stuck through a wall for a standard service, it's not really that much.

ntluser
20-12-2008, 10:21
I think we'd also like to be clear if this is a 50mb service with that speed all the time or an "up to 50mb" service with that speed part of the time.

I suspect demand will not be too high given that we are in recession and families are looking at ways to trim expenditure rather than increase it.

I'm on the VIP package and I would happily lose Talk mobile and Talk International as I never use them.I could then put their cost towards the 50mb service if it was permitted.

Maybe Virgin ought to look at a menu system for VIP ( and other) packages allowing customers to select their broadband speeds, TV packages and telephone preferences rather than offering a pre-specified package on a "take-it-or leave-it" basis. They could still offer discounts to keep VIP packages affordable depending on the package chosen.

broadbandking
20-12-2008, 10:59
I think we'd also like to be clear if this is a 50mb service with that speed all the time or an "up to 50mb" service with that speed part of the time.

I suspect demand will not be too high given that we are in recession and families are looking at ways to trim expenditure rather than increase it.

I'm on the VIP package and I would happily lose Talk mobile and Talk International as I never use them.I could then put their cost towards the 50mb service if it was permitted.

Maybe Virgin ought to look at a menu system for VIP ( and other) packages allowing customers to select their broadband speeds, TV packages and telephone preferences rather than offering a pre-specified package on a "take-it-or leave-it" basis. They could still offer discounts to keep VIP packages affordable depending on the package chosen.

Could you imagine the confusion

hokkers999
20-12-2008, 11:55
You have two choices

1) Pay it and get 50Mbit broadband

or

2) Don't pay it and don't get 50Mbit broadband

If you want to complain and see what happens, do so.

The only reason it is not listed at £80 set up fee is that at somepoint in the future Virgin may start doing self install for the 50Mbit. You would then pay £50 activation and £15 delivery

So option 2 it is then. Zero chance I'm paying £80 to be ripped for something I can do myself. I already have a Tomato based router so that I can set up a sensible QOS schedule. If or when VM come to their senses maybe I'll switch. Mind you though if everyone else jumps ship, then us bottom tier people on 2 meg will have no contention and a brilliant internet experience!

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

[snip]

You know the answer to that question don't you :( really, you do.

ntluser
20-12-2008, 12:11
So option 2 it is then. Zero chance I'm paying £80 to be ripped for something I can do myself. I already have a Tomato based router so that I can set up a sensible QOS schedule. If or when VM come to their senses maybe I'll switch. Mind you though if everyone else jumps ship, then us bottom tier people on 2 meg will have no contention and a brilliant internet experience!

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

You know the answer to that question don't you :( really, you do.

No, I don't "know" the answer, I merely suspect that it will be "up to 50mb" but I thought I'd ask and give the mods ( or someone in the know) the opportunity to confirm it either way.

Welshchris
20-12-2008, 12:36
What i dont understand is why they r charging current people a £50 activation fee, surely just switching them onto the new docsis 3 network isnt that hard?

+ if they r gonna be upgrading the 20mb users to docsis 3 theres gonna be uproar if they ask us all for £50.

ntluser
20-12-2008, 13:02
What i dont understand is why they r charging current people a £50 activation fee, surely just switching them onto the new docsis 3 network isnt that hard?

+ if they r gonna be upgrading the 20mb users to docsis 3 theres gonna be uproar if they ask us all for £50.

I guess it's all about recouping cable network upgrade costs and possibly building up funds to purchase more HD channels.

telfordcable
20-12-2008, 13:59
If all of us 100% don't order or don't sign up to get 50Mb for next 6 months, then I believe VM boss might say "I am disappointed no ones seem bothered to sign up 50Mb or 50Mb with phone as I think we have to reduced 50Mb price and axed the activation charge and installation charge to bring the customers in".

50Mb for £51 a month, £50 activation fee charge, £30 for standard installation charge (overall cost is £131 one off fee plus one month advance payment of £51) is really a rip off !!! I will not buy it or sign up !

DON'T SIGN UP !!!! (because it say 'Up to' 50Mb might be 25Mb or 30Mb or 40Mb or will it be 50Mb all times ??)

BenMcr
20-12-2008, 14:00
How many times ;) They are not upgrading 20Mbit customers to DOCSIS 3.0. They are moving them onto DOCSIS 2 which means they can use the new network with the existing equipment

Won't need any thing else than a config file change

hokkers999
20-12-2008, 14:06
How many times ;) They are not upgrading 20Mbit customers to DOCSIS 3.0. They are moving them onto DOCSIS 2 which means they can use the new network with the existing equipment

I'm not a cable engineer. If the network head ends are being upgraded to docsis 3 specification and that gives a much increased utilisation of scarce resources then why would they NOT want to move everyone across?

BenMcr
20-12-2008, 14:13
Because there is no point (at the moment). The only reason that 50Mbit needs DOCSIS 3.0 is for the bonded channels.

20Mbit and 10Mbit only need a single channel so can use DOCSIS 2

The existing network - the one that everyone runs on at the moment is only DOCSIS 1.0 (maybe 1.1?)

Its the New network that adds DOCSIS 2 and 3.0

All of the 20Mbit modems can run DOCSIS 2.0 so its an easy way to re-balance the load across the two networks without an expensive modem swap out program

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

BTW I'm not an engineer either. I'm basing it purely on the posts from people on here who are more up on the technical side

Zhadnost
20-12-2008, 14:23
I didn't know the 50Mbit service used bonded channels. (only that the modem can).

gunner45
20-12-2008, 15:15
Neil Berkett has said that the 20mbps users will be switched to DOCSIS 3.0 next year. The 2mbps and 10mbps users will have more dedicated bandwith, which means that there should be less STM.

Rone
20-12-2008, 16:46
Neil Berkett has said that the 20mbps users will be switched to DOCSIS 3.0 next year. The 2mbps and 10mbps users will have more dedicated bandwith, which means that there should be less STM.

Moving from 20 down to 10 might be a better idea then.
Forget 50 at those prices [installation etc].

Welshchris
20-12-2008, 16:51

i have been specifically told by 2 members of staff at the chief execs office that 20mb will be upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 by end of 2009.

Chrysalis
21-12-2008, 07:55
they charging the £50 because they can.

not the answer you guys want to hear but VM know you not going to goto the competition because no competition offers 50meg unless you one of the 0.1% or so who is in a ftth postcode.

broadbandbug
22-12-2008, 14:14
If all of us 100% don't order or don't sign up to get 50Mb for next 6 months, then I believe VM boss might say "I am disappointed no ones seem bothered to sign up 50Mb or 50Mb with phone as I think we have to reduced 50Mb price and axed the activation charge and installation charge to bring the customers in".

50Mb for £51 a month, £50 activation fee charge, £30 for standard installation charge (overall cost is £131 one off fee plus one month advance payment of £51) is really a rip off !!! I will not buy it or sign up !

DON'T SIGN UP !!!! (because it say 'Up to' 50Mb might be 25Mb or 30Mb or 40Mb or will it be 50Mb all times ??)

Yes, but people already are! They are queuing up for installation slots.. Credit Crunch? What Credit Crunch!:shocked:

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

I'm not a cable engineer. If the network head ends are being upgraded to docsis 3 specification and that gives a much increased utilisation of scarce resources then why would they NOT want to move everyone across?

Because that have added the DoCSIS 3.0 Equipment, not upgraded what is already there.. Therefore they still want to make money out of the multi million pound investment they have in DoCSIS 1.0 kit. So they migrate some customers onto DoCSIS 3.0 Platform (At DoCSIS 1.1/2.0) to spread the load and improve the service, but keep many back to 'sweat the asset':)

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

I didn't know the 50Mbit service used bonded channels. (only that the modem can).

It has to in order to work properly..

Each QAM256 EuroDoCSIS 3.0 Channel yealds around 50Mb/s of useable bandwidth.
So by having a multi-tuner modem registered on 3 or more channels giving a combined 'pipe' of 150 - 200Mb/s with packet sharing means a far more stable service at higher speeds.

I can see 20Mb/s going bonded at some point (subject to modem costs dropping) as this will make for a far better service and experience for this tier also.

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

i have been specifically told by 2 members of staff at the chief execs office that 20mb will be upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0 by end of 2009.

They are mistaken.. They will be migrated onto the DoCSIS 3.0 Platform, but they will make use of DoCSIS 2.0 Protocols so that no modem change is necessary..

This has already been done in Warrington where anyone that has a compatable modem on 20Mb/s will have already moved across. All they would see is a new CMTS name (if they know at all)

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

they charging the £50 because they can.

not the answer you guys want to hear but VM know you not going to goto the competition because no competition offers 50meg unless you one of the 0.1% or so who is in a ftth postcode.

I agree. Premium product, premium price.. Your choice.. Take it or leave it!

Zhadnost
23-12-2008, 08:27
I'm still not convinced that it's expensive, 1Mbit was £50 when it launched (no phone line deal). £46 for 50Mbit with a phone line sounds like a bargain.

saabmania2
23-12-2008, 08:42
I'm still not convinced that it's expensive, 1Mbit was £50 when it launched (no phone line deal). £46 for 50Mbit with a phone line sounds like a bargain.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the monthly price it's the connection price and activation cost that people have a problem with.
i would be quite happy with paying £46 inc phone line. but i'm not going to pay £30 connecton and then £50 to activate it, in my view connection means includes activation ;)

InfiniteBiscuit
23-12-2008, 08:44
I suppose of they wanted to, like BenMcr said, they could have just upped the price a bit to cover the cost of going to 50mb. Extra £4 a month or so, that would've paid for the 'activation' of the service in itself. But then, they'd lose that again on bundle deals.

I reckon VM haven't had much choice in this one to be perfectly honest.