PDA

View Full Version : Why do people insist on posting about torrents and stuff.

ontheball
17-12-2008, 12:09
I see all this stuff about rapidshare and bittorrent and the apps your using and so on. You might as well just write a christmas card to virgin saying exactly what software your using and when so they can throttle you even more easily.

downquark1
17-12-2008, 12:11
This site is not owned by virgin media.

Gary L
17-12-2008, 12:12
I'm sure they've got their own people gathering all the names of the apps to put on the banned list already. they don't need us to help them.

downquark1
17-12-2008, 12:13
The apps are not illegal. I could record a home movie edit it to 700mb and put it into a torrent for my family (hosting my own tracker) and I would not be doing anything illegal at all.

ontheball
17-12-2008, 12:16
Yeah true but virgin dont care about that which is why there bringing in application throttling or whatever its called.

bmxbandit
17-12-2008, 12:30
Assuming the site admins here identify and log all IP addresses (and what applications each user claims to use), and hands over to VM the ones that resolve to the VM network, then you have a valid concern! I'm sure it's cheaper than doing it automagically in hardware ;)

Graham M
17-12-2008, 12:31
Assuming the site admins here identify and log all IP addresses (and what applications each user claims to use), and hands over to VM the ones that resolve to the VM network, then you have a valid concern! I'm sure it's cheaper than doing it automagically in hardware ;)

Umm... no.

Raistlin
17-12-2008, 12:38
I see all this stuff about rapidshare and bittorrent and the apps your using and so on. You might as well just write a christmas card to virgin saying exactly what software your using and when so they can throttle you even more easily.

[Irony Detector Activated]

:D

Stuart
17-12-2008, 13:42

They don't need us to help them gather that info. They can gather that sort of info from their own network hardware.

TBH, even if they did ask us, we are not owned by virgin (the site is actually owned by Frank, Paul M and Mick), and we are under no obligation to co-operate with their requests. Indeed, we wouldn't.

Also, it's worth noting that the members of this site, even if they were all VM customers (and they aren't by a long shot) would be too small a sample to provide valid data.

Ignitionnet
17-12-2008, 17:51

The existing hardware in the cable network I'm sure does a quite good enough job of telling Virgin what people are using ;)

preacher
18-12-2008, 08:18
I love how on one hand everyone complains about slow speeds when others are hammering the network on their cable and then have the audacity to say traffic Management is wrong....lol

broadbandking
18-12-2008, 09:40
I love how on one hand everyone complains about slow speeds when others are hammering the network on their cable and then have the audacity to say traffic Management is wrong....lol

I think what people dont like about traffic mamagement they could be doing something pefectly legal and they get punished for downloading the odd file.

I dont understand tho why people inistly think omg your using torrents, it must be illegal.

Stuart
18-12-2008, 10:21

The problem is that they way VM have implemented Traffic management, it does reduce load on the network, but it does so by restricting *everyone*, even those who just browse the odd web page and read email without downloading much. Those that use the network heavily (such as those using torrents) are penalised as well, but if they are using torrents, they can just leave the download running overnight, so won't actually be affected as badly.

General Maximus
18-12-2008, 10:30
i'll tell you what would be the perfect compromise and keep everyone happy. If they want to solve all the problems with stm and application throttling and torrents, they should throttle torrents, newsgroups and whatever else they want during peak periods (i.e automatically impose stm on those protocols during the current restricted time periods) and then lift them so that we can still download whatever we want to a night time like i normally do.

This was everyone is kept happy during the day and the bandwidth is still available for everything else like gaming (because only torrents have been affected instead of a blanket reduction in speed) and I can crack on and download whatever i want torrent wise while everyone is asleep.

Who wants to be the one to pass the idea on to VM? I honestly believe it is fair compromise everyone can agree to, it addresses their needs and ours.

broadbandking
18-12-2008, 11:05
Totally agree - there has to be a fair balance however people will argue they pay for a speed and they should get 24/7

General Maximus
18-12-2008, 11:12
despite the fact that i love to moan I am capable of looking at things from both sides and i fully appreciate Vms position and what you and other guys have said in justification for stm and stuff. I just feel that sometimes they go a bit too far for their own benefit and something like what i have suggested above is a fair compromise which addresses their concerns and keep us happy at the same time.

broadbandking
18-12-2008, 11:16
I have to say with demands now I bet it is hard to meet them all, whether it be because the network is **** or no money or just too many people are using the network doesn't matter to me everyone has to be fair and its a shame restriction are in place but o well as long as I can online game I am fine

Stuart
18-12-2008, 12:04
i'll tell you what would be the perfect compromise and keep everyone happy. If they want to solve all the problems with stm and application throttling and torrents, they should throttle torrents, newsgroups and whatever else they want during peak periods (i.e automatically impose stm on those protocols during the current restricted time periods) and then lift them so that we can still download whatever we want to a night time like i normally do.

As far as I understand that is pretty much what VM are planning to do from around the middle of next year

They haven't finalised the details of implementation, so I don't know exactly what they will do and when.

General Maximus
18-12-2008, 12:06
that is good news, i was under the impression they were being blocked full stop so i couldn't use torrents or newsgroups at all